Players who let Dickov down

I think the team have let him down collectively, this season at least. I can't think of many occasions when I've been able to single out a player as having had a shocker.

I can, however, think of loads of occasions when the team collectively hasn't shown enough desire or urgency.

Which means I'm optimistic that, with the right manager, we can improve.

Grimsby away next season anybody?

An interesting idea that the team has let down the manager. A wonderful excuse, they let me down, they didn't do what I told them - load of bollocks there is only one person responsible and he has 'stepped aside'.

The players tried to do what they were told and, surely everyone here agrees, they were told to do the wrong things and that is why their performance as a team has fallen short. Clearly the mindset was based on trying to keep a clean sheet. We collectively passed back before going forward. They collectively hit the ball long game after game and were not told to stop it.

The team has shown what it can do when they go forward and pass the ball which is even more effective with Smith giving a long ball option. This squad is good enough to be ten places higher up the table so don't go on moaning about poor performances under a poor manager. That man made the performances poor. That coaching team could make any player worse just look at what happened to Kuqi.

A realistic target for the new manager would be to finish 15th or above not simply avoid relegation. Just need to find someone who can motivate and organise. The players are good enough no excuses for the new man.

An interesting idea that the team has let down the manager. A wonderful excuse, they let me down, they didn't do what I told them - load of bollocks there is only one person responsible and he has 'stepped aside'.

The players tried to do what they were told and, surely everyone here agrees, they were told to do the wrong things and that is why their performance as a team has fallen short. Clearly the mindset was based on trying to keep a clean sheet. We collectively passed back before going forward. They collectively hit the ball long game after game and were not told to stop it.

The team has shown what it can do when they go forward and pass the ball which is even more effective with Smith giving a long ball option. This squad is good enough to be ten places higher up the table so don't go on moaning about poor performances under a poor manager. That man made the performances poor. That coaching team could make any player worse just look at what happened to Kuqi.

A realistic target for the new manager would be to finish 15th or above not simply avoid relegation. Just need to find someone who can motivate and organise. The players are good enough no excuses for the new man.

I think the Southampton and Peterborough thrashings changed Dickov's entire philosophy going forward. Very rarely did the shackles ever come off after that.........and strangely when they did we started getting results again!

I think the team have let him down collectively, this season at least. I can't think of many occasions when I've been able to single out a player as having had a shocker.

I can, however, think of loads of occasions when the team collectively hasn't shown enough desire or urgency.

agree,they need to take a chunk of responsability if they can gee themselves like they did for liverpool why not for the bread and butter

I think the Southampton and Peterborough thrashings changed Dickov's entire philosophy going forward. Very rarely did the shackles ever come off after that.........and strangely when they did we started getting results again!

True dat. The list is endless but its gone lets draw a line under it we cant change what has happened

It's hard to back a side when they do the right thing and take a hiding, maybe PD did what a lot of us do in effect? I believe he would still be here if he had stuck to a positive approach, and I bet he will kick himself all the way down the road when he analyses it

If this does happen again under the new boss again huge issue but he didnt get the players to play for him

Improvements were Bouzy, Lee, M'Voto, Morais, Furman, Smith & Baxter of top of my head

I do have a problem with PD here. Simpson was a waste of a large age with Baxter coming in, Mellor and Winchester should have been at least given a proper chance to fail. Taylor should have been getting kicked in non league

Failed by squad players who haven't shone when their chance was given to them. Millar/Sutherland/Mellor/Taylor/Winchester(except vs. lpool) are the most forgettable crop of youngsters we've had in our squad for a long time.

Sutherland is only 17 and a good prospect so I wouldn't include him in the list.

……but strangely; there are examples where players really did start to improve; only for them to disappear and be overlooked for others during PD's reign.

Take Lewis Allessandra for one. Fringe striker under Sheridan, and then dropped by Shez for a succession of poor loanee strikers. Then, under PD initially; a revelation as a left sided midfielder. We looked a really balanced side with Lewis on the left; and he was playing well and looking very much the part. Dropped for another loannee and then never seen again.

DJ Bembo-Lita was doing well, and the shape of the side was looking good with him in there. Now granted the break cost him, but he never saw the light of day once he was back fit.

And recently, Tarky, Mellor and Winchester. IMO; all 3 have looked real prospects; and whilst I'm not proclaiming them to be world beaters; I've thought that when used, they've shown enough to warrant a run. It's never really happened, as they've always been dropped out again at the 1st available opportunity.

As others have said, it's gone now; it's yesterdays news and we need to look forwards again. BUt - for me - the most disappointing thing about PD's tenure is that it did set off so well, it did look so promising, and for whatever crazy reason; it started to fall apart when he needlessly abandoned his initial formation and plans. It's all if's, but's and maybe's but, I do wonder hwere we'd be now if he'd have stuck to the plans that were working for us and were being used for the first 4/5 months of his reign?

Edited by slystallone

This. Furman is at his best when he is breaking up play and keeping it simple. However he ruins these positives by winning the ball and then losing it again with abysmal passing ability.Taking to long to get the ball out of his feet, trying to pass further than 5 yards.

Keep it simple Dean and you are an assett. Anything else and he becomes a liabilty. Unfortunatly i think he thinks he is better than he is and he is the result of his inconsistency

I would level that accusation at Wes more than Furman. Furball is generally a decent passer.

Both have been awful this season. Furman hasnt been winning many tackles and hes not been pushing forward enuff. Wes has had to tackle in the midfield on his own and doesnt always get close enough to pressure people... No surprise when he isnt getting much help.

I struggle with people saying smith has let dickov down??? How many pro seasons has he had? How many games has he started?

Mvoto has struggled for form as has simspon (not helped with injuried and being played out of position)

Dickov only has himself to blame - no out and out goal scorer again....

an on loan right winger with no cover...

One left winger for the season...