Oldham Geography

Heading down Chaddeton Way away from the town centre and with Boundary Park on your right there are a couple of small streets on the left, Oswald Street and Dame Street.

Has anyone ever heard of this area being referred to as "Busk" and if so does anyone have any idea of why - and when that named dies out of common usage (if indeed it has - I've certainly never come across it before).

The area is still officially known as Busk. OS Settlement Classification (village, hamlet etc)

http://www.explorebr...ham-busk-sd9105

http://www.flickrive...nd/Oldham/Busk/

See Hawthorn Mill

http://en.wikipedia....mills_in_Oldham

Useful Busk info

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/records.aspx?cat=758-bs5&cid=-1#-1

Edited by BP1960

I wouldn't have a clue, but a local historian of my acquaintance tells me thus:

The adjacent Busk Road and the area named BUSK on the local AZ street guide would indicate Busk is alive and well. The 19th century historian Edwin Butterworth lived there when it was a hamlet located half way to Middleton Road. He thought it was dialect for the 'bush' sign over a pub. Not quite the old Bull and Bush but you know what I mean. Alternatively it could have meant scrub land or 'busk land' I suppose. I too briefly lived there twice, in my first year, and again in my 24th. It was called Busk then too.

I wouldn't have a clue, but a local historian of my acquaintance tells me thus:

The adjacent Busk Road and the area named BUSK on the local AZ street guide would indicate Busk is alive and well. The 19th century historian Edwin Butterworth lived there when it was a hamlet located half way to Middleton Road. He thought it was dialect for the 'bush' sign over a pub. Not quite the old Bull and Bush but you know what I mean. Alternatively it could have meant scrub land or 'busk land' I suppose. I too briefly lived there twice, in my first year, and again in my 24th. It was called Busk then too.

Cheers. Bit of family tree stuff. My grandfather (never knew him) lived on Dame Street.

I have never heard the name mentioned in conversation, only seen it on maps.

I expect it was pretty much decimated by the building of the Oldham and Chadderton Way bypasses, and slum clearance, and long since forgotten about.

Cheers. Bit of family tree stuff. My grandfather (never knew him) lived on Dame Street.

If you are digging (literally of figuratively) my contact would no doubt be keen to assist. Let me know, he is all over that area (was heavily involved in the Royton Hall dig and the background work etc)

If you are digging (literally of figuratively) my contact would no doubt be keen to assist. Let me know, he is all over that area (was heavily involved in the Royton Hall dig and the background work etc)

Ta. It's my brother really but may well go a bit further myself. I'd like to know a bit more about my grandfather - fought in the Boer War, widowed twice, last kid fathered when he was in his mid-sixties (my dad) with his 18 years younger wife. Interesting character I suspect!

We refer to it as busk. Saying Royton or Chadderton is quite vague if ur looking for streets in a hurry. Busk or longsight makes it a damn site easier!

Also, anyone noticed the deliberate mistake at the petrol station near top of sheepfoot lane?