When will the fans turn against Corney

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Simon Corney. When I hear his video interviews and media coverage he seems to talk a lot of sense.

We will never know everything that goes on at a club (reasons for players leaving etc etc) but I think your view on Simon Corney is massively impacted by what you think the club can / should be achieving.

We appear to be as financially stable as you can be in the lower leagues (albeit some cup revenue last 2 seasons would have helped) and therefore it would appear that (albeit in a threadbasde way) we look like we can continue to exist as a club for the medium future. Whislt this means that we are unlikely to ever hold on to players due to wages and lack of any genuine chance to have success, it does mean that we are here to stay without risk of financial meltdown - which whne you think back to the pre TTA tenure is what a lot of people said.

There will be decisions that SC makes that he makes for the right reasons but we don't see it or appreciate it or agree. For example:

Dean Furman. Wants to leave at end of season, we'll get no money in for him. Clearly not motivated or committed to the club (he came hear to get regular football to get into the SA team for the CoN - job done, bye) so I'd guess SC thought I might as well get him off the wage bill now and see if we can replace him / use youngsters.

Lookers Stand. We don't fill the ground or anyway near it. We have a knackered stand that will have operating costs of staff, utilities, maintenance, rates etc etc that we don't actually need. Save the cash, knock it down - its the first stage of the redevelopment (whenever that may arise) so it needs to be done at sometime. Do it now, save money.

Manager. I am sure that he would have liked a full-time manager in place earlier. But again, not paying a manager at the moment will save money. Also TP doing OK, and players seem to like him. Finally, I'd prefer to wait a few months and get a good candidate than rush an appointment to 'fill the gap'.

We may or may not survive relegation this season. We may or may not start construction of the new stand. But it would appear that we will still have a financially stable shoestring football club come what may. And for that I thank SC.

I never want to go back to the post Chris Moore era. This seasons FA Cup games (and still the occassional league one) have shown that even with limited resources, crap stadium, no manager - OAFC can still serve up what I want as a supporter. Entertainment, excitement and interest.

I like Simon Corney. When I hear his video interviews and media coverage he seems to talk a lot of sense.

We will never know everything that goes on at a club (reasons for players leaving etc etc) but I think your view on Simon Corney is massively impacted by what you think the club can / should be achieving.

We appear to be as financially stable as you can be in the lower leagues (albeit some cup revenue last 2 seasons would have helped) and therefore it would appear that (albeit in a threadbasde way) we look like we can continue to exist as a club for the medium future. Whislt this means that we are unlikely to ever hold on to players due to wages and lack of any genuine chance to have success, it does mean that we are here to stay without risk of financial meltdown - which whne you think back to the pre TTA tenure is what a lot of people said.

There will be decisions that SC makes that he makes for the right reasons but we don't see it or appreciate it or agree. For example:

Dean Furman. Wants to leave at end of season, we'll get no money in for him. Clearly not motivated or committed to the club (he came hear to get regular football to get into the SA team for the CoN - job done, bye) so I'd guess SC thought I might as well get him off the wage bill now and see if we can replace him / use youngsters.

Lookers Stand. We don't fill the ground or anyway near it. We have a knackered stand that will have operating costs of staff, utilities, maintenance, rates etc etc that we don't actually need. Save the cash, knock it down - its the first stage of the redevelopment (whenever that may arise) so it needs to be done at sometime. Do it now, save money.

Manager. I am sure that he would have liked a full-time manager in place earlier. But again, not paying a manager at the moment will save money. Also TP doing OK, and players seem to like him. Finally, I'd prefer to wait a few months and get a good candidate than rush an appointment to 'fill the gap'.

We may or may not survive relegation this season. We may or may not start construction of the new stand. But it would appear that we will still have a financially stable shoestring football club come what may. And for that I thank SC.

I never want to go back to the post Chris Moore era. This seasons FA Cup games (and still the occassional league one) have shown that even with limited resources, crap stadium, no manager - OAFC can still serve up what I want as a supporter. Entertainment, excitement and interest.

Sadly, the number of exciting and entertaining games has been minimal for years. For the most part, it's a weekly dose of total crap. Crap football in a three stand pile of crap.

I have not been a major critic of SC, but i am pissed off with him. Getting rid of the management team and failing to replace them over a 10 week period is ridiculous. Piss poor. It'll be a major reason for our inevitable relegation. it reflects his make-do-and-mend policy. That's how he manages the club. That's why we have a revolving door policy when it comes to players. We've got another one month loan, which might be extended, or not.

For these reasons, I have put on my angry pants and angry jumper.

..it reflects his make-do-and-mend policy. That's how he manages the club. That's why we have a revolving door policy when it comes to players. We've got another one month loan, which might be extended, or not.

I don't disagree. But when you have very limited budgets, you have to do what you can to manage to them. Sometimes this means making stupid decisions for good reasons i.e. financial stability.

A succession of loan players will be disuptive in many ways, but potentially a higher quality player than we could otherwise get (we have had some very good loan players). And it's possible that most if not all their wages are being covered by the parent club in order to get them some first team experience. So for SC - we get a 'free' player of better quality than if we paid for full-time player. Obviously we get disruption and lack of consistency in terms of team selection which has to have an impact on the team as well - but it might be a necessary evil.

For these reasons, I have put on my angry pants and angry jumper.

Fair enough. I can understand anyone that is fed-up of watching mostly poor quality football for the last decade - but that is the lot of a lower league football fan. It's why there are less numbers of people watch lower league football - for the most part its not very good.

Killed a fair few off the gate this decision.

When will the fans turn against Corney? For the sake of the club I hope never. This man is the only reason Oldham Athletic are still here. Not because he saved us a DECADE ago , but because he has pumped money into the club year in and year out with very little return. Sure he has not thrown money at the team for success alla portsmouth, leeds etc he knows that was not sustainable. Lets not forget weve had a few good cracks at it in his time. Corney has kept this club running at an ok level for 10+ years and us as fans should be nothing but entirely gratefull! When this new stand goes up he will have improved this club massively in so many different ways. Some of our fans are riddiculouse!

When will the fans turn against Corney? For the sake of the club I hope never. This man is the only reason Oldham Athletic are still here. Not because he saved us a DECADE ago , but because he has pumped money into the club year in and year out with very little return. Sure he has not thrown money at the team for success alla portsmouth, leeds etc he knows that was not sustainable. Lets not forget weve had a few good cracks at it in his time. Corney has kept this club running at an ok level for 10+ years and us as fans should be nothing but entirely gratefull! When this new stand goes up he will have improved this club massively in so many different ways. Some of our fans are riddiculouse!

Agreed. Completely. Even if we appoint a manager that the vast majority don't want.