No Asain Oldham fans - BBC news story

Guest Scratch2000uk

Back on topic.

The old Biased branding the word racism about?, who'd have though it?

Edited by Scratch2000uk

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm a bit switched-off to terrace comment.

I've heard fattest chanting.

I've heard foul language (and added to it).

I've heard banter.

I've heard horrendous criticism of our own players.

I cannot ever recall racism within the chanting, banter, swearing and criticism though.

Maybe I'm a bit switched-off to terrace comment.

I've heard fattest chanting.

I've heard foul language (and added to it).

I've heard banter.

I've heard horrendous criticism of our own players.

I cannot ever recall racism within the chanting, banter, swearing and criticism though.

All of the above plus some misogynistic chants. Almost exclusively from the creche. I haven't heard even them come out with anything racist.

Why is this even newsworthy?

Some people this article refers too are 4th or even 5th generation British and decide not to go like the rest of the cultural make up of Oldham for their own personal reasons whether it be cost or over commitments like work.

All we can do is welcome people when they chose to attend and give value for money on the pitch so they may return.

Racism is showing prejudice against people because of their cultural traditions or believes everyone decides to go or not to go it’s their choice I don’t see latics or the regular fans denying anyone the choice on that basis.

Is it a coincidence that the ethnic makeup of our support changes when we play premier league opposition? I think not the usual product isn’t good enough to encourage additional fans regardless of their back ground and the historical facts mean that the Asian community were not dragged to boundary park from an early age and don’t see it as a pilgrimage or duty therefore don’t come to the likes of Hartlepool at home in minus 2 degrees!! Because 20% of the population is Asian in some areas does that now mean we all have to have the same interests or theres a problem? seriously who gives a feck what anyone does or doesn't do for entertainment.

I'm pessimistic? You're the one who bangs on about the state of the town and its inhabitants. What happened to you and your Mrs is bang out of order but I wouldn't have thought that's the norm. We've more than our fair share of herberts but, per head, I wouldn't have thought there's more violent racism than most places in the country.

Along with your new left brigade you seem intent on perpetuating the notion Oldham's a Nazi infested :censored:hole when, like many other places, its got a lot of problems but the people are mainly good.

I'm organising fans to better the club and town - I don't even live in England, let alone Oldham! So please don't turn the pessimism on me. This a club where its own fans singing "OIdham's a :censored:hole, we already know" and the rest laugh along. Consider that.

Understandable on that and cheers (seriously, it's nice to know there are good people). But I'm not implying that is the norm but rather that it isn't uncommon - which is a problem - especially in a town with such a beautiful history as ours and has a very large ethnic mix-up. That documentary which every man and his dog's seen shows the guy talking about how Combat 18 were and are involved with Oldham Athletic. Do you know who Combat 18 are?

And I know you'll think "Oh yeah, like we're still involved with them" or, as you said, mention that Oldham is a "Nazi-infested :censored:hole" but that's what people think! Welcome to the age of the modern media! Maybe not to the extent of being infested with Nazis, but our town is seen a "racist :censored:hole" - I even know both Asian and white people who would more than agree with me. I'm sorry if this is hard for you to accept. We've had the EDL here, the BNP getting a decent vote count in Shaw, some ex-armed forces guys saying "Islam should be smashed" and calling all Muslims "paedophiles" in front the church next to Spindles and we've had the 2001 riots, which will never go away. I'm not some apologist for all of this crap, but look at Oldham. Look at what Oldham really is - at both the white and Asian communities. Many people I know are extremely racist - even Oldham fans. But, of course, closed doors keep loud sounds muffled.

Please explain to me why you believe this a leftist group.

Like you're getting at though, there are some great people in Oldham. I'd just like there to be more.

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

How to handle race issues. It's a tough one.

Part of me thinks highlighting dicks like the EDL, Combat 18 etc creates issues. Ignore them and they tend to disappear to another town.

My recollection of 2001 is outsiders (Birmingham, Stoke) bussing into town to stir the :censored: when there wasn't much :censored: there to start with.

That is doubtless over-simplifying a more complex issue.

As for the BNP they've made noise in Oldham. Yet Oldhamers have NEVER elected one of their candidates to the council, let alone Parliament.

Edited by opinions4u

How to handle race issues. It's a tough one.

Part of me thinks highlighting dicks like the EDL, Combat 18 etc creates issues. Ignore them and they tend to disappear to another town.

My recollection of 2001 is outsiders (Birmingham, Stoke) bussing into town to stir the :censored: when there wasn't much :censored: there to start with.

That is doubtless over-simplifying a more complex issue.

As for the BNP they've made noise in Oldham. Yet Oldhamers have NEVER elected one of their candidates to the council, let alone Parliament.

I think the person who finds the solution to it all will be a very rich man.

All what you've said is right though. It's just nice to acknowledge the problem, say "Look, we're against this" and try to see if we can get rid of the barriers. Problem is I'm not really sure if people are even willing to actually acknowledge it.

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

I'm pessimistic? You're the one who bangs on about the state of the town and its inhabitants. What happened to you and your Mrs is bang out of order but I wouldn't have thought that's the norm. We've more than our fair share of herberts but, per head, I wouldn't have thought there's more violent racism than most places in the country.

Along with your new left brigade you seem intent on perpetuating the notion Oldham's a Nazi infested :censored:hole when, like many other places, its got a lot of problems but the people are mainly good.

Left Brigade and Nazi in the same sentence, we have a weiner winner.

GuyGermanLatic. You seem to be under the impression only white people in the town are racist. Try telling that to the friends and family of the white kid beaten to death for being white, with the police doing rock all about it because it would be racist to go to the pakistani community to find the culprits. There are racists on both sides and in equal measures. My firends daughters is mixed race and was forced to move house due to non stop verbal assaults and physical threats from the local pakistanis. The police did nothing, and in they end they were forced out.

What happened to you is a disgrace but do not tar us all with the same brush and do not pretend only the whites in this town are vile racist thugs.

By the way Oldham is a complete :censored:hole and their is no hiding from it. Oldham has gone downhill for 20 years.

I think the person who finds the solution to it all will be a very rich man.

All what you've said is right though. It's just nice to acknowledge the problem, say "Look, we're against this" and try to see if we can get rid of the barriers. Problem is I'm not really sure if people are even willing to actually acknowledge it.

I'm organising fans to better the club and town - I don't even live in England, let alone Oldham! So please don't turn the pessimism on me. This a club where its own fans singing "OIdham's a :censored:hole, we already know" and the rest laugh along. Consider that.

Understandable on that and cheers (seriously, it's nice to know there are good people). But I'm not implying that is the norm but rather that it isn't uncommon - which is a problem - especially in a town with such a beautiful history as ours and has a very large ethnic mix-up. That documentary which every man and his dog's seen shows the guy talking about how Combat 18 were and are involved with Oldham Athletic. Do you know who Combat 18 are?

And I know you'll think "Oh yeah, like we're still involved with them" or, as you said, mention that Oldham is a "Nazi-infested :censored:hole" but that's what people think! Welcome to the age of the modern media! Maybe not to the extent of being infested with Nazis, but our town is seen a "racist :censored:hole" - I even know both Asian and white people who would more than agree with me. I'm sorry if this is hard for you to accept. We've had the EDL here, the BNP getting a decent vote count in Shaw, some ex-armed forces guys saying "Islam should be smashed" and calling all Muslims "paedophiles" in front the church next to Spindles and we've had the 2001 riots, which will never go away. I'm not some apologist for all of this crap, but look at Oldham. Look at what Oldham really is - at both the white and Asian communities. Many people I know are extremely racist - even Oldham fans. But, of course, closed doors keep loud sounds muffled.

Please explain to me why you believe this a leftist group.

Like you're getting at though, there are some great people in Oldham. I'd just like there to be more.

I’ve always had a self deprecating sense of humour myself. I applaud your enthusiasm, but just take care with what you say. I think you could potentially come across as a bit insulting to a few people. The majority of people in Oldham are good honest hard working family type people regardless of what anyone says.

The problem is with fighting the right wing groups and trying to make people aware of racism (which is a two way thing) is that it solves what it sets out to do. It makes people ‘aware’ of racism, of their differences, problems and in itself maintains barriers. In my view the barriers will only fall people concentrate on other positive things. Try telling a kid not to watch the TV when it is turned on, and they won’t listen. Take them outside and do something fun and they will soon forget about it.

Rather than kicking racism out of football, we should find another more positive slogan.

Interesting article, certainly the justice system has been found to be inadequate and Gavin's killer is still at large. I don't think anyone will argue with the fact that the system is bent, however a quick Google search reveals the usual top-ten results EDL, National Front, right wing blogs - and more like them - using this incident to their own dirty gains - who are bent on making it a wider racial issue. It doesn't do anyone any favours, I'm sure that his family do not want anything to do with these idiots.

No to violence, no to racism.

Yes I agree. Justice has not been done but equally the extreme right have used the situation to stir up hatred. Not all whites are racist and not all Asians are. By the same token both communities have their share of racists and absolute head cases and the police and the laws of this country are failing to effectively deal with those head cases. On a wider case no matter what people say the communities are separate because they choose to be, and I don't see that changing due to the many cultural differences between the two.

Oldham's problem is simple in my eyes. There are no jobs in a town that has over one hundred thousand people. We have young Asian lads growing up in areas with few prospects, and we have young white lads on council estates where neither parents nor grandparents have ever worked.

When people have nothing they will look for something to identity with, creed and culture, race or even an institution like Latics. Oldham is a giant melting pot with an awful lot of Asian and white nobheads without a focus.

GuyGermanLatic. You seem to be under the impression only white people in the town are racist. Try telling that to the friends and family of the white kid beaten to death for being white, with the police doing rock all about it because it would be racist to go to the pakistani community to find the culprits. There are racists on both sides and in equal measures. My firends daughters is mixed race and was forced to move house due to non stop verbal assaults and physical threats from the local pakistanis. The police did nothing, and in they end they were forced out.

What happened to you is a disgrace but do not tar us all with the same brush and do not pretend only the whites in this town are vile racist thugs.

By the way Oldham is a complete :censored:hole and their is no hiding from it. Oldham has gone downhill for 20 years.

I accept and know there are racists on both sides. I find the racism from Asians just as disgusting as it is from whites.

Oldham's problem is simple in my eyes. There are no jobs in a town that has over one hundred thousand people. We have young Asian lads growing up in areas with few prospects, and we have young white lads on council estates where neither parents nor grandparents have ever worked.

When people have nothing they will look for something to identity with, creed and culture, race or even an institution like Latics. Oldham is a giant melting pot with an awful lot of Asian and white nobheads without a focus.

This. Nail right on the head!

There would be no EDL if the police had dealt with the radical Muslims on the home-coming of the Royal Anglians!

Wanting the police to deal with people harming no-one because you don't agree with their beliefs. Haven't most fascist leaders done the very same?

Ha.

Wanting the police to deal with people harming no-one because you don't agree with their beliefs. Haven't most fascist leaders done the very same?

Ha.

I'm not sure I agree with your summary of the events there...