No Asain Oldham fans - BBC news story

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read the thread and had to reply to this off topic post. Talent is not a myth. I coach a mixed race team and every single player has a different level of skill and talent. To say talent is a myth shows a distinct lack of understanding of the fact that we are all different and as such we all excel at different things and are utter :censored:e at others.

Off topic? It was in response to a post saying Asian players aren't coming through because they aren't good enough.

Lack of understanding? Quite the opposite, I am interested in this area and have taken the time to read into it before making my comments, the research is there in the literature. The fact is that you cannot become successful at any sport, or any other similar area in life without practice (10, 000 hours is the norm), whatever level of natural ability you have. Read the book Bounce by Matthew Syed, you might just change your mind.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Off topic? It was in response to a post saying Asian players aren't coming through because they aren't good enough.

Lack of understanding? Quite the opposite, I am interested in this area and have taken the time to read into it before making my comments, the research is there in the literature. The fact is that you cannot become successful at any sport, or any other similar area in life without practice (10, 000 hours is the norm), whatever level of natural ability you have. Read the book Bounce by Matthew Syed, you might just change your mind.

I doubt quite a few of the premier league players have ever practiced football for 21 hours a week for ten years. Does this rule apply to intellects too? or does IQ, Memory and genetics have a greater bearing?

Edited by Scratch2000uk

I doubt quite a few of the premier league players have ever practiced football for 21 hours a week for ten years. Does this rule apply to intellects too? or does IQ, Memory and genetics have a greater bearing?

I don't think IQ has much to do with making it as a Premiership player, that's for sure :crackpot: Looking at football though, didn't most of us (boys at least play at the very least for 5 hours a week from the age of 4? I reckon it would be bloody hard to get a 15 year old who had never kicked a ball and make a player of him

It is about repeating actions until they become automatic. Matthew Syed himself was a world class table tennis player, he initially thought he was talented, when he looked into it he realised that he was of average ability but a combination of a progressive p.e. teacher, unlimited access to a table and an older brother to practise with had allowed him reach that standard.

In cricket and tennis the ball can reach the batter or receiver in a shorter time than the body can react, repeatedly seeing fast bowling actions allows the batter to read the body position of the bowler to predict where the ball will be going, the batter is moving onto the front or back foot before the ball leaves the hand. Similarly in tennis, at the top of the game if you wait until the ball is hit you aint getting there.

I don't think IQ has much to do with making it as a Premiership player, that's for sure :crackpot:

Half of what IQ measurement is based on is much to do with how good you might be at football, actually - processing speed and perceptual reasoning.

As with almost everything regarding humans, it's a bit nature, a bit nurture.

Sainsbury ad with David Beckham "I remember playing football until the sun went down"

Getting his hours in.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Sainsbury ad with David Beckham "I remember playing football until the sun went down"

Getting his hours in.

He wouldn't be in the top fifty best players though would he? I guess he didn't do the hours he says he did.

He wouldn't be in the top fifty best players though would he? I guess he didn't do the hours he says he did.

It's a shame really, if he'd put a bit more effort in he could have made a living out of the game, maybe got himself the odd England cap. :grin:

:England:

Guest Scratch2000uk

I don't think IQ has much to do with making it as a Premiership player, that's for sure :crackpot: Looking at football though, didn't most of us (boys at least play at the very least for 5 hours a week from the age of 4? I reckon it would be bloody hard to get a 15 year old who had never kicked a ball and make a player of him

I know that. I just wonder if anyone else thinks that intellegence is a natural gift/talent or does it have to be gleaned over many years like the book suggests, (I haven't read it by the way)

I do agree that focused habitual practice can make you a more accomplished player of a particular sport,

Guest Scratch2000uk

It's a shame really, if he'd put a bit more effort in he could have made a living out of the game, maybe got himself the odd England cap. :grin:

:England:

Even so, not the greatest example of greatness is it?

Half of what IQ measurement is based on is much to do with how good you might be at football, actually - processing speed and perceptual reasoning.

As with almost everything regarding humans, it's a bit nature, a bit nurture.

Not sure how this applies to football - and yes, I am fearing for my IQ score - but there are lots of people with awesome processing speed and perceptual reality who would stand there and have the ball bounce off their shin if you kicked it to them. I don't think you would have made a decent inside right of Einstein if you'd coached him from birth.

Not sure how this applies to football - and yes, I am fearing for my IQ score - but there are lots of people with awesome processing speed and perceptual reality who would stand there and have the ball bounce off their shin if you kicked it to them. I don't think you would have made a decent inside right of Einstein if you'd coached him from birth.

But if you're :censored: at these things, you're :censored: at seeing and using space and thinking and reacting quickly - hence not a useful footballer.

What a :censored:e article, sounds like something guyscargillgerman would write. It is clearly written with prejudice, and the club should have responded at least privately to the author. (S)he should have been invited along to a kickz session where she could speak to the kids and the coaches involved, none of them probably 'support' Latics. Was it also Latics who did the night time sessions around Ramadan? Following this invite the club could then move forward with the author, or preferably slam them in public.

Shoddy article which makes us look :censored:e. I still think there's a problem but it's nothing like it was.

It was great to see the Asian fans at Latics though and made me feel really proud to be a Latics fan which can attract the town - despite having to get to the 4th and 5th round of the FA Cup to do it.

There is change in the air though...

My wife is Bangladeshi so I have a fair amount of contact with her side of the family, even taken a few of the kids to latics games on occasions. They all support Utd or Liverpool though. The main reason us they'd sooner support a top club then their local one. I just don't think they have the same connection to the town that they live in.

They look upon themselves as Bangladeshi's rather than Oldhamers, for example if a Bangladeshi team came over to play a match I think you would find quite a few that would attend. This is just my impression I get when speaking to my wife's family members on the subject. I also usually get met with surprise when I say I support Oldham, comments such as "why do u support them, they're rubbish" kind of sums it up for me.

I can completely understand where you're coming from.

My ex-girlfriend was Pakistani-American. We'd watch football together and she'd really get into it. She knew I was a massive Latics fan but refused to go on the premise that Oldham was full of violent racists. She just felt really uncomfortable with the idea entirely.

Like you were getting at though, if there was a factor which changed it slightly it might've been a different story. I don't think Latics playing against a Bangladeshi team would do any good: if you want to win allies, it's best not to call them your enemy first (bit harsh terminology but I think it'd drawn out like that).

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

Shoddy article which makes us look :censored:e. I still think there's a problem but it's nothing like it was.

It was great to see the Asian fans at Latics though and made me feel really proud to be a Latics fan which can attract the town - despite having to get to the 4th and 5th round of the FA Cup to do it.

There is change in the air though...

I can completely understand where you're coming from.

My ex-girlfriend was Pakistani-American. We'd watch football together and she'd really get into it. She knew I was a massive Latics fan but refused to go on the premise that Oldham was full of violent racists. She just felt really uncomfortable with the idea entirely.

Like you were getting at though, if there was a factor which changed it slightly it might've been a different story. I don't think Latics playing against a Bangladeshi team would do any good: if you want to win allies, it's best not to call them your enemy first (bit harsh terminology but I think it'd drawn out like that).

Refused to go "because Oldham was full of violent racists"? I assume she didn't venture out in the the town either then? Surely you corrected her?

That's 2 posts of yours I've just had a pop at and don't take it personally but I think you're talking bollocks.

Refused to go "because Oldham was full of violent racists"? I assume she didn't venture out in the the town either then? Surely you corrected her?

That's 2 posts of yours I've just had a pop at and don't take it personally but I think you're talking bollocks.

We had "Paki shagger" shouted at us a lot. Group of lads cornered me once about it too. Plus look at our history and the fact the divide between the Asian and white communities is still there.

You just read an article from the :censored:ing BBC about it and find me hard to believe... What the :censored:?!

I think you're a pessimistic, non-bollocks disbeliever.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Completely different discussion. However for one he's the most capped England outfield player, you set your bar pretty high.

However, England Caps mean nothing when measuring greatness. :OASISscarf:

We had "Paki shagger" shouted at us a lot. Group of lads cornered me once about it too. Plus look at our history and the fact the divide between the Asian and white communities is still there.

You just read an article from the :censored:ing BBC about it and find me hard to believe... What the :censored:?!

I think you're a pessimistic, non-bollocks disbeliever.

I'm pessimistic? You're the one who bangs on about the state of the town and its inhabitants. What happened to you and your Mrs is bang out of order but I wouldn't have thought that's the norm. We've more than our fair share of herberts but, per head, I wouldn't have thought there's more violent racism than most places in the country.

Along with your new left brigade you seem intent on perpetuating the notion Oldham's a Nazi infested :censored:hole when, like many other places, its got a lot of problems but the people are mainly good.