No Asain Oldham fans - BBC news story

Iattended a game a coupleof years ago at bp during a pre season. it was a latics 11 (old players and celebs) against a local aisian team. there were hundreds of 'asians' there. I think some time does need be invested by the community trust in tapping into the other communities throughout the borough and getting kids of all cultures involved in latics. This season cost cant be an issue for any kid (by which i mean 13-16) due to the tenner st. get everyone involved

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iattended a game a coupleof years ago at bp during a pre season. it was a latics 11 (old players and celebs) against a local aisian team. there were hundreds of 'asians' there. I think some time does need be invested by the community trust in tapping into the other communities throughout the borough and getting kids of all cultures involved in latics. This season cost cant be an issue for any kid (by which i mean 13-16) due to the tenner st. get everyone involved

It's like latics have a map with certain no go areas.

That's quite interesting. Wonder how many would have bought a ticket to the League Cup game at the start of the season? Or have made a more significant commitment? If only they were asked at the right time.

That's quite interesting. Wonder how many would have bought a ticket to the League Cup game at the start of the season? Or have made a more significant commitment? If only they were asked at the right time.

Work should have been done while there was a large number at bp to find out the reasons they don't go

Work should have been done while there was a large number at bp to find out the reasons they don't go

Maybe.

Although it was all hands to the pump in the ticket office.

I could have volunteered I suppose. But questioning people on the turnstile could have got embarrassing.

Plucking somebody of darker complexion from the queue for a minute of research "Hello Sir, I'm trying to establish the potential for greater involvement from Asian fans with Latics. What are your thoughts?" being responded to in a Geordie accent with "I don't know, I'm just a has been manager covering the game for Radio Manc" could be awkward.

Maybe.

Although it was all hands to the pump in the ticket office.

I could have volunteered I suppose. But questioning people on the turnstile could have got embarrassing.

Plucking somebody of darker complexion from the queue for a minute of research "Hello Sir, I'm trying to establish the potential for greater involvement from Asian fans with Latics. What are your thoughts?" being responded to in a Geordie accent with "I don't know, I'm just a has been manager covering the game for Radio Manc" could be awkward.

haha quality.

I was meaning a more generic survey handed out at turnstyles with a free match ticket or something for every one completed

Guest Scratch2000uk

Oldham Athletics fans are mainly white, put that together with racism and fear of safety, you can see why they are not that keen on attending.

Oldham Athletics fans are mainly white, put that together with racism and fear of safety, you can see why they are not that keen on attending.

Don't agree. Thats just a generalisation. I have a friend who/s a philapeano who loves football. Before he came to oldham (lives 200meters from bp) He had only really heard of manure. His 1st game he went to and still his only one was city v villa in the cup. I have told him about the advantages of a local club like ours and is keen to go to bp and i'm sure he will when he gets a Saturday off work when we have a game

Guest Scratch2000uk

Serious? You think that's why they don't come? It's more lack of interest and can't be arsed to pay £20 to come.

Course i'm serious. Asians have as much disposable income as i do ( in my case not much ) they just choose not to spend it where they may feel isolated or uncomfortable in their surroundings, I know if i felt like that i wouldn't go either.

As mentioned before, the £10 season ticket is affordable to most creed and colour, if kids from the Asian community wont come at that price, the reasons must be either family pressure, fear of racism or they just don't want to watch football. They can be fans of whoever they like in the prem, but they aint going to get a season ticket for that price.

Are they though? I play against some VERY skilful Pakistani lads but you do as much as stand next to them they go flying. That happens with around 99% of them. They don't develop because more than likely their heart is not in it.

I'd guess that the majority of them play 5 a side rather than the full game, which could be another reason they grow up without such an association with stadium football

As mentioned before, the £10 season ticket is affordable to most creed and colour, if kids from the Asian community wont come at that price, the reasons must be either family pressure, fear of racism or they just don't want to watch football. They can be fans of whoever they like in the prem, but they aint going to get a season ticket for that price.

That's the same for all races though surely?

Let us imagine that £100,000 landed on the desk of Simon Corney that could only be used for marketing activity to attract fans in to Boundary Park.

Where would you spend that money to get the best results?

1) Asian community projects?

2) Recontacting lapsed season ticket holders?

3) Freebies for school kids?

4) Something else?

For me, number one is flogging a dead horse.

I thought this went on? I know they latics used to come into the youth centre i worked at. 'Kickz' project i think? They also go into schools in Oldham including the ones were majority of students are Asian.

I thought this went on? I know they latics used to come into the youth centre i worked at. 'Kickz' project i think? They also go into schools in Oldham including the ones were majority of students are Asian.

See - they put a Z on the end instead of a S and still none of them came.

Madness.

The whole Oldham Athletic Kickz team is Asian based as they are from the Wernerth area, around Chapel Road.

A lot of the people who work for Latics in youth projects are asian, Rokib Miah etc.

The fact the Beeb have done some terrible research and pretty much just plucked at straws is laughable. I have an asian friend that was at the game on Tuesday, even though he supports United? Why does he support United? Cos he watched them on TV and can buy their kits easily from JJB or SportsDirect.