No Asain Oldham fans - BBC news story

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late kick off have done a very similar report tonight too. Straw poll seems to have been based on one of the RRE turnstiles.

Even worse maths than I thought, extrapolating zero from one turnstile to the entire ground. Ignoring the cluster of 300 in the Chaddy, making 10% of the attendance.

I did a straw poll at the same match at the directors' box entrance and found 20% of Latics fans are millionaires, why aren't we tapping into this wealth?

Edited by Magic Mikey

Surprised at the amount of hostility to the article, I thought it was alright.

There is still a racist element in our support, whatever you would like to believe, because of the social demographic that commit to watching Latics.

Not the sole reason, but it certainly exists .

Surprised at the amount of hostility to the article, I thought it was alright.

There is still a racist element in our support, whatever you would like to believe, because of the social demographic that commit to watching Latics.

Not the sole reason, but it certainly exists .

Isn't that the same social demographic at every football club?

I think really all you need to do is look at how the Pakistan/ Bangladesh national teams have performed over the years; in comparison to their cricket/ hockeyteams to realise why not so many of them are into football, or at least not into local clubs like Oldham, Burnley, Blackburn etc. I would imagine that many of them would like to see more money and time invested in the youth development, afterall that's where it all begins, it's whether or not they have the patience/ time and money to see development from grass roots come through.

I think really all you need to do is look at how the Pakistan/ Bangladesh national teams have performed over the years; in comparison to their cricket/ hockeyteams to realise why not so many of them are into football, or at least not into local clubs like Oldham, Burnley, Blackburn etc. I would imagine that many of them would like to see more money and time invested in the youth development, afterall that's where it all begins, it's whether or not they have the patience/ time and money to see development from grass roots come through.

Trust me. It's more that.

I've never really thought about it until now, but the Asians I hear about, encounter or are friends with, are often nuts about football. I don't even know any second or third + generation immigrant asians who are into cricket. It's just that they mostly remain as armchair TV fans. And which teams do you see on TV?

Case in point, my girlfriend has three brothers. Two of them are Utd fans, one of them Tottenham. I think it's more a case of identifying with the clubs & teams but not the fans. British football fans are often associated with getting drunk and overly emotional and occasionally aggressive, and I just don't think they can identify with that. And without the cultural, family and friend type influences that would encourage someone to become a diehard, go to all the matches type supporter, it's very difficult for any individual Asian to motivate themselves to be anything other than an armchair fan.

I use to coach football to kids in Glodwick and we took them to Latics at times. As mentioned like other kids majority of them supported the big four (at that time Man U, chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal). Remember during the Sheridan play off a season a couple of them went on a regulor basis. But they tended to get free tickets or someone else take them.

Same as with the kids in Derker sadly, sadly with the lads in Glodwick, football was a different mentality if given a choice alot of them would rather have a kick about with mates or a street match with kids from Coppice or Werneth. To some of the kids the match was more an excuse to get away from there parents or having to go Mosque. Rather than the full match itself. Same with the team in Westwood who got big numbers but never put them in a league at junior level.

They still enjoy it as much as we did just have a different approach to games.

There was a good couple of kids who had talent but also very little parent support also.

The reasons why more Asian people don't come to watch Oldham is three fold...

We are :censored:

Cultural

I also have to chuckle at the rose tinted view some of you have. Having been to the watch Oldham on and off for the last 25 years, seeing what I have seen over the years, and hearing what I have heard, I wouldn't feel very comfortable being an Asian person in the average Latics crowd. There is a certain minority within the supporter base who make inappropriate comments from time to time regarding our Asian brothers....

Surely cost is a big factor. Asian families tend to be larger families so taking children and dad is a pricey day out compared to a Sky Sports monthly fee. I'd hope there is no fear of racism but think its much more likely to be a financial issue that's linked to a lack of recent success

Surely cost is a big factor. Asian families tend to be larger families so taking children and dad is a pricey day out compared to a Sky Sports monthly fee. I'd hope there is no fear of racism but think its much more likely to be a financial issue that's linked to a lack of recent success

Surely the £10 season ticket addresses that.

Edited by opinions4u

Surely the £10 season ticket addresses that.

I think it would if this was the case. As oafc0000 has said, we're skirting around the issue of the minority element that causes the most aggravation. So for me...

The reasons why more Asian people don't come to watch Oldham is three fold...

Cultural

I also have to chuckle at the rose tinted view some of you have. Having been to the watch Oldham on and off for the last 25 years, seeing what I have seen over the years, and hearing what I have heard, I wouldn't feel very comfortable being an Asian person in the average Latics crowd. There is a certain minority within the supporter base who make inappropriate comments from time to time regarding our Asian brothers....

...seems to fit the way I look at the situation.

I think it would if this was the case. As oafc0000 has said, we're skirting around the issue of the minority element that causes the most aggravation. So for me...

...seems to fit the way I look at the situation.

Strange isn't it.

The old grey matter starts whirring and some stupid ideas come out. The one I've just discarded is an "Asian Only" section in BP. Think that somewhat misses the whole point!

Who said "no idea is a bad idea"?

I don't like not knowing the solution.

Edited by opinions4u

Strange isn't it.

The old grey matter starts whirring and some stupid ideas come out. The one I've just discarded is an "Asian Only" section in BP. Think that somewhat misses the whole point!

Who said "no idea is a bad idea"?

I don't like not knowing the solution.

There was a debate at a University (Birmingham?) recently which included people from Muslim and Aethiest backgrounds. The Aethiest speaker refused to speak until the crowd was allowed to mix as the women were supposed to be sat in a seperate areas and he felt it was discriminatory. However an interesting point was raised that it was the aethiest who was also being discriminatory as by not allowing the women to sit seperately, some were not able to attend the debate.

Therefore perhaps seperate areas for women would be a good start ;)

Though this highlights why for many Muslim families, a football match wouldn't be a family day out.

I would like to know where thee BBC have got these numbers from. 0 out of 3200 I saw an asian at the game. Also how do you know that a white person who's converted like Samir Nasri was not at the game. Its just a pathetic argument.

I'm not sure that it is technically possible to convert to being an Asian...Oh, and Samir Nasri is of Algerian descent

Edited by Dave_Og

Abdul Hamid, a member of Red Star Bengal, believes Oldham are doing a lot of good work with the community, but he has thrown out a challenge to the bosses who run the game.

"One day, when we have an Asian player at Latics, a lot of Asian people will flock to the club to support him."

So they won't support the white and black players we have then? Typical BBC accuse everyone of racism but then find it acceptable when the racism is the other way

Edited by Max Damage

Edit - in response to LaticsSideOfLife

You don't become good at anything without practice, you don't become very good without very high quality practice. Talent is a myth. Many footballers' sons become good players because, if they are interested, they are exposed to the opportunity to get that type of practice. It makes me laugh when Andy Murray is described as a talented tennis player, bollocks. There are thousands of lads who given the same upbringing would be just as successful, statistically probably more successful.

Very few of the asian lads will have the encouragement to go down the professional footballing route, they won't get the high quality practice required.

Just read the thread and had to reply to this off topic post. Talent is not a myth. I coach a mixed race team and every single player has a different level of skill and talent. To say talent is a myth shows a distinct lack of understanding of the fact that we are all different and as such we all excel at different things and are utter :censored:e at others.

I would like to know where thee BBC have got these numbers from. 0 out of 3200 I saw an asian at the game. Also how do you know that a white person who's converted like Samir Nasri was not at the game. Its just a pathetic argument.

huh.jpg

Me thinks you might be confused about one or two things

load of rubbish. Latics dont have asian fans, Bradford City dont, Leicester dont, West Ham dont. Go to America and the likes of Detroit Tigers dont have black fans. Go to Germany and clubs like Schalke,Dortmund,Cologne dont have Turkish fans. Is it a massive worldwide racist conspiracy or just the fact that those communities in the UK and US dont have a mass sports going culture while those in Germany just dont care to follow a German team as 2 or 3 generations in they still consider themselves Turks? Those that are interested in sport would prefer to identify themselves to a club from elsewhere (such as Manchester United in England,NY Yankees in US, Galatasaray/Fenerbahce if you're a German Turk) because they dont particularly identify with their neighbours. There are certainly racist Oldham fans but I'm sure there are Asians in Oldham who like football who wouldnt countenance going watching the team of the local white effers. Cuts both ways.