Not 'fit' for purpose

In the paper today, Di Canio is criticising Martin O'Neill for the fact that the Sunderland squad is unfit and can't last for 90 minutes of high tempo football. Think I have seen this somewhere else recently !!

Most new managers into roles part way threw the season state this as being an issue. Some are correct and some do it to buy themselves a bit more time to get settled into the role. Heard a manager talk about this once and this is what he said from experience!

Everyone says it when they take over a new team. It gets the excuses in early.

I heard a Latics fan call GMR and speak to Phil Brown shortly after PD's sacking. He said if Brown got the job he'd need to sort out the fitness. Brown wasn't happy - he said that if he came in he would not be publicly slamming fitness. Said that when Westley came in at PNE the first thing he did was say the players were unfit which was bollocks. It's an easy tool for a new manager to use to give himself that breathing space when they come in.

I'm not saying the Latics players at the moment are where they should be in terms of fitness by any means or that LJ is wrong in his comments. But it's not saying anything for PDC to come in and say that about Sunderland - it's quite remarkable how many newly managed sides are suddenly found to be 'unfit'.

Teams that struggle look unfit. It is difficult to summon the energy to do something when you are not confident about the outcome.

Latics have looked mentally unfit for some time. They have also looked physically unfit for most of the season. Croft was allowed to remain overweight and unfit whilst PD was here but still managed to play every game until Saturday - he however was mentally fit so that he could keep pushing himself.

Players that are physically fit can battle on even when things go wrong. I'm looking forward to seeing a fit team next year but more importantly I'm looking forward to seeing a team with the right mental attitude - players of character, players with pride, players who will do the job that they are paid to do.