Contestant Emily Parr was removed from the BBH

Guest oa exile

Guest oa_exile
Contestant Emily Parr was removed from the Big Brother House in the early hours of this morning after using a racially offensive word to a fellow housemate.

Emily was with Charley and Nicky in the garden of the Big Brother House at approximately 8.30pm last night when she was heard to say "Are you pushing it out you nigger?" to Charley.

Emily immediately made clear that she had not intended to offend and that the comment had been meant as a joke. In discussing what she had said, Charley and Nicky agreed that they were not personally offended, although both did express shock at the language she had used. In the ensuing discussion, Emily acknowledged that she should have been more careful with her words.

The comment was not screened as part of the 'as live' streaming on E4 and was immediately reported up to senior production staff at Brighter Pictures, the Endemol UK subsidiary that produces the show. In consultation with senior executives at Channel 4 the decision was taken to remove Emily from the House on the grounds that she had broken the rules governing contestant behaviour.

The House Rules given to all contestants clearly state:

Big Brother will intervene and take appropriate action if housemates behave in a way that Big Brother considers is unacceptable. Unacceptable behaviour includes: behaving in a way that could cause serious offence to either their fellow housemates or members of the viewing public including serious offence based on the grounds of race. Housemates who act in a way that is seriously unacceptable will be evicted.

Emily was called to the Diary Room at approximately 03.30am to be informed of the decision and was removed from the House immediately without further contact with other contestants. The remaining housemates were informed of Big Brother's decision at approximately 9.30am.

Emily was one of two housemates nominated for eviction this week and as a result the latest eviction vote has been suspended.

Angela Jain, who heads the Big Brother commissioning team at Channel 4, said: "I think people watching the show tonight will agree that Emily spoke carelessly rather than maliciously - certainly Charley and Nicky, the two housemates most directly involved in the conversation with her,seem to accept that she did. She understands why her involvement in Big Brother has had to come an end and she very much regrets what she said."

"In the wake of Celebrity Big Brother we must consider the potential offence to viewers regardless of Emily's intentions and her housemates' response. The word nigger is clearly racially offensive and there was no justification for its use. We have removed Emily from the house to once again make it clear to all housemates and the viewers at home that such behaviour won't be tolerated."

>>Emily Parr Removed<<

"In the wake of Celebrity Big Brother we must consider the potential offence to viewers regardless of Emily's intentions and her housemates' response. The word nigger is clearly racially offensive and there was no justification for its use. We have removed Emily from the house to once again make it clear to all housemates and the viewers at home that such behaviour won't be tolerated."

Offensive and racial language....no justification for it's use

So a spokeswoman uses the same word again!

Love it.....lol

:grin:

The 'N' word is used with no offence between similar racial types. In the film Rush Hour, Jackie Chan is learning American slang and asks 'What up my Nigger?'. The portrayal is of a foreign person hearing what he hears in music and film and using it thinking he will cause no offence. Offence is taken and is saved by his partner. Now, I know she should know better, but, why isn't it considered racist between two different ethnic groups. Is it something which is reserved for whites only, which could be considered a racist act in itself?

Edited by footy68

The 'N' word is used with no offence between similar racial types. In the film Rush Hour, Jackie Chan is learning American slang and asks 'What up my Nigger?'. The portrayal is of a foreign person hearing what he hears in music and film and using it thinking he will cause no offence. Offence is taken and is saved by his partner. Now, I know she should know better, but, why isn't it considered racist between two different ethnic groups. Is it something which is reserved for whites only, which could be considered a racist act in itself?

They admitted that the word wasn't used maliciously, but threw her out anyway. Terrific! The politically correct herd strike again.

She had a terrific arse, too. Shame. :disappointed:

They admitted that the word wasn't used maliciously, but threw her out anyway. Terrific! The politically correct herd strike again.

She had a terrific arse, too. Shame. :disappointed:

They are having to apologise several times over the next few days for the Shilpa racism row and now they are able to prove that they have smartened up their act. Clever Channel 4. That will get the regulator off their backs. As you say, shame it was the fit one who was the fall-girl.

Anyway, as you will see from the link, she only gets her kit off "professionally".

Emily The Actress

Additional skills - Football: waitress; Harry Potter. Harry Potter? :huh:

They are having to apologise several times over the next few days for the Shilpa racism row and now they are able to prove that they have smartened up their act. Clever Channel 4. That will get the regulator off their backs. As you say, shame it was the fit one who was the fall-girl.

Anyway, as you will see from the link, she only gets her kit off "professionally".

Emily The Actress

Additional skills - Football: waitress; Harry Potter. Harry Potter? :huh:

The regulator is an arsehole and so is Channel 4. I thought that Big Brother was meant to be a view of what people were really like, including the things that they really say. Of course, no one escapes the attention of the language police, who are so incredibly fascist it is almost funny. I just watched the show, and I was not at all shocked at the way she said "nigger". She said it in a conversation the type of which you can hear everyday on the bus here in sarfff Landan. But we can't have the kind of talk you hear on the bus on the telly now, can we? Not least because people on the telly talk far better and more posher than people on buses.

I noticed something else in the programme. Charley, at whom the comment was directed, said that she didn't want to make anything of it and that she wasn't offended (repeatedly, thus making rather a lot of it). Her main concern was not her own personal feelings toward the word, but the potential reaction of Big Brother and the viewing public. Political correctness is about the special claims to grievances of people who are not being spoken to. They should mind their own beeswax, them pious types.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

There's nothing wrong with watching what you say to avoid calling offence - obviously there's an extreme element (although often exaggerated examples) but that doesn't mean the whole idea is worthless.

Anyway, Inspiral Carpet has it right - doesn't matter what was said, Channel 4 got enough (deserved) abuse last time they have to be seen to be above reproach, even if it means being sanctimonious.

There's nothing wrong with watching what you say to avoid calling offence - obviously there's an extreme element (although often exaggerated examples) but that doesn't mean the whole idea is worthless.

Anyway, Inspiral Carpet has it right - doesn't matter what was said, Channel 4 got enough (deserved) abuse last time they have to be seen to be above reproach, even if it means being sanctimonious.

My point was that it is fine to watch what you say to avoid causing offence to the person or people to whom you are speaking. What's not fine is when you have to watch what you say because people to whom you are not speaking might take offence. They don't have any right at all to take offence: it's none of their beeswax, man.

My point was that it is fine to watch what you say to avoid causing offence to the person or people to whom you are speaking. What's not fine is when you have to watch what you say because people to whom you are not speaking might take offence. They don't have any right at all to take offence: it's none of their beeswax, man.

Also, make sure the pesky microphone is switched off so that Marcel Desailly can't hear you. :shock:<_<

As that incident proves, you really do have to consider far more than the person to whom you are speaking when on TV. The fact that BB is delayed live coverage suggests though this has been done more as a stunt rather than for reasons of integrity.

The silly bint obviously thought she was being, "street," which ain't going to wash coming from a horsey bint from Bristol.

I'm sick of the idea that things perceived as wrong can't be shown on TV. Shakespeare's works would be a bit slimmer if things with murder, rape, incest etc were taken out to avoid offending sensibilities.

The silly bint obviously thought she was being, "street," which ain't going to wash coming from a horsey bint from Bristol.

I'm sick of the idea that things perceived as wrong can't be shown on TV. Shakespeare's works would be a bit slimmer if things with murder, rape, incest etc were taken out to avoid offending sensibilities.

Shakespeare's works actually would be a bit slimmer if the herd had their way. There'd be no Taming of the Shrew, for instance, because it's sexist; no Othello, because it's the moor who goes a bit mental; no Merchant of Venice; and no Troilus and Cressida, which features a character called Thersites, who is described in the dramatis personae as "a deformed and scurrilous Greek".

On the bus this morning, some black kid was playing music out of one of them there tinny mobile phone rubbish boxes. Every other word in rap lyrics, to judge by what I heard, is "nigger".

Shakespeare's works actually would be a bit slimmer if the herd had their way. There'd be no Taming of the Shrew, for instance, because it's sexist; no Othello, because it's the moor who goes a bit mental; no Merchant of Venice; and no Troilus and Cressida, which features a character called Thersites, who is described in the dramatis personae as "a deformed and scurrilous Greek".

On the bus this morning, some black kid was playing music out of one of them there tinny mobile phone rubbish boxes. Every other word in rap lyrics, to judge by what I heard, is "nigger".

I might be a bit of an extremist about these things, but I don't think that Big Ron should have got the boot either. Maybe fire the bloke who messed up the mic feed, but not the big man. Everyone knows what he did for black players in this country and in Europe, none of which counted for anything because the herd think that what you say matters more.