Our club

Morning everyone

Been reading a couple of the recent topics and in the middle of all euphoria of Saturdays performance there are several negative comments either about our leakie defence, that we won't go up etc

I just want to make a few comments that I hope everyone takes on board.

1. On Saturday roughly speaking we scored 10% of last years TOTAL league goals in 1 game

2. We have manager who wants to play

attacking/entertaining football that everyone will enjoy (unless you have a heart condition)

3. We don't have to listen to PD talk about how great we played, but we were just unlucky

4. We have a better group of young attack minded players that I haven't seen at this club in a long time

5. We have good players on good contract durations actually for the first time in a long time making them an asset to the business

6. Last season the manager showed he could switch his tactics to suit, long ball against bury, wasn't pretty but got the points.

I don't know what everyone wants from LJ this season weather it's promotion or mid table, but LJ with SC help (trust me that's painful to say) has not only but a huge smile on all of our faces but he has changed our club for the better. Let's not be negative that we won't go up, as long as we are not in a relegation fight come April we have moved forward from PD :censored: brand of football. If we lose a game 3-2 so what?? This season is a transition season, a year that LJ will earn his stripes as a manager, but if we let him this manager may not only turn this club around but he could turn the town around.

What I am trying to say is let's ll back the manager and this team. You never know what might happen......lets enjoy the ride and come May see where we end up!!

Let's just remember its the first game of the season and after PD's first few league games we where top and I was reading the same stuff then.

I think we will do OK this season but let's get some perspective shall we? In 2 seasons time our current manager could be elsewhere and getting slagged on here like our last 3 managers for being clueless

I agree with both posts, I definitely believe that in LJ we have an innovative, passionate, realistic, shrewd manager who people seem want to follow, but the jump from finishing what 19th last season and promotion would be epic.

I'm definitely going to enjoy the ride, but after 25 years of following Latics expectation is a word that no longer holds any meaning lol

Yes this is after 1 game but I'm also including last season when we were down until the run he put us on and then an undefeated preseason.

Also in LJ first 11 league games (this season and last) he has picked up 18 points, that's an average of 1.63 points a game, over a league season that's a 75 point season.

Long way to go but let's be positive about it! I have met LJ twice and your right he has blown me away, he also wants us involved!

Don't get me wrong I feel very positive about LJ and this season as a whole but after nearly 30 years I am very aware of what could lie ahead.

I have said elsewhere I have a feeling we could see something special this year but a heavy defeat on Tuesday against a champ team just like Wednesday last year could have a adverse affect on a young side. (I think we will win as it happens)

Be optimistic by all means - its a nice change after a few years of no plan b and negative tactics but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

1 game at a side who I think will struggle this year, a great great win but some perspective is needed. We conceded 3 and on another day in this league we would not have been awarded either pen, we have seen it before.

Top 10 finish for me but 45 hard games to go

I don't think saying we won't go up is 'negative comment'.

Feet on the ground and all that.

Was just about to make a post, probably would have been longer and a bit more waffle to it.

You've just done it in 2 sentances!

There's a need to be realistic. You can be happy with Sat's game but still remain realistic about this coming season without being negative...

I'm not expecting play-offs or promotion.

I am expecting to enjoy the season though.

Well worth turning up at the Chaddy End turnstiles with a tenner in your hand tomorrow night.

I must have told 4 or 5 people that it's worth getting down for tomorrow night, £10 quid, a team that wants to play exciting football etc, got negative responses from all of them, if your dont fancy us having a crack at higher opposition for ten pound, then your not going to come back for a long time.

Let's just remember its the first game of the season and after PD's first few league games we where top and I was reading the same stuff then.

I think we will do OK this season but let's get some perspective shall we? In 2 seasons time our current manager could be elsewhere and getting slagged on here like our last 3 managers for being clueless

Nice one.

Maybe the new stand will go tits up again aswell and Corney will do a Chris Moore on us. :thumbsup:

Some on here appear to think (and dont mean you) we are not entitled to call a ultimately useless manager exactly that

As one of the few people you're alluding to, I'll carry the torch.

'Entitled' is a bit of a strange word to use but whatever. Personally, my issue isn't that I don't think Dickov failed (he did), it's that a number of posters - you being one of the most vocal - have to try and shoehorn some negative comment in at the slightest whiff of opportunity. The irony isn't lost on me that this wave of optimism seems to be built on pretty negative foundations.

It's not like Dickov maliciously managed the club poorly. He got his fingers burnt with the heavy defeats to Peterborough and Southampton and never looked the same again. Why not just wish him well and move on? He's in the past, we've got a new manager who has almost universal support, why not look to the present/future? Dickov didn't exactly leave us irreparably damaged; arguably the opposite - the cup heroics last season helped us massively.

Concentrate on the good times, they're ultimately what we'll remember in years to come.

Nah Zorro I like listening to his tale's of woe.....thankfully they aren't ours anymore.

PD enjoyed fantastic backing and will to succeed more so than many a manager in the past. Nice fella I thought to be honest, just a tad disappointed how he's choose to blame the budget. 3 sides he built and 3 sides failed.

Fair comments Zorro but still entitled ;-) pedant!!!!!lol to comment "irreperably damaged" was close. You dont know me and I am very very positive, optimistic perhaps to much re Latics. I know well in excess of 20 plus supporters early 20s lost from latics who will need a lot of winning back to Div 1 football on a regular basis because of that failure.

I am the only one of 20 plus mates still bothering with latics (thanks dad) the irony as a younger fan is not lost on me that no matter how well we play many older fans simply cant enjoy it without negative comments about our own re Mellor, Brown etc. and harp back to glory days never looking forward, (Not a dig at you) but anyone who remarks on Dickov gets stick regularly. My mates think Dickov was a clueless bastard "Mr Excuses" but they dont bother posting it they just stopped going or bother with OWTB its these lost souls we want back.

Agree with Lags as above. You are spot on with appeasing new club etc but aware of remarks (perhaps throw away comedy) made at a private function that made it sound as if he hadnt been backed or supported which is utter bollocks didnt need to even mention latics. EVERY latics fan gave him great support as did the club think the club deserved better respect.

He made comments at a private function. Didn't Jose Baxter say something at a Latics'-orientated private function about Tranmere that was less than complimentary? I'd put my house on him saying the opposite whilst he was at Tranmere. (I don't actually own my house so I'm no worse off if I'm wrong.)

You'd better not be suggesting I'm an older fan, either. Cheeky git. I'm only slightly older than Cliff Byrne.

I suppose the difference between berating a former employee and a current one is that at least we're concentrating on Oldham. The other 91 clubs mean naff all. We're gonna do 'em all over. Yeah!

Paul Dickov cannot be blamed for the haemorrhaging of c.6000 fans since the mid-90s. A small portion of that, maybe, but it's a bit harsh to lay the blame at his door. The damage was done a long time ago.

I don't blame PD for taking his chances at a higher placed club, BUT i can't help feel that he shouldn't have taken the DRFC job, simply because if it all goes t1ts up, he has nowhere to go from there, and there's the awkward situation of having your mate as your boss factored in also, will be lovely if/when he gets fired.

I really do think that PD should have taken a job at a club such as Macclesfield, learned from his mistakes, appointed an older head alongside him and gone back to basics, and made his way back up the football pyramid, as it is, I unfortunately see him failing at Donny.

I don't think saying we won't go up is 'negative comment'.

Feet on the ground and all that.

'Feet on the ground' I like that. With Penney, (a modicum of success before us) and Dickov (recent experience and contacts at the top)I was tentatively floating. Both ended badly. With LJ, I may be excited inside but I try and focus that excitement into comments on LJ's efforts and dedication getting to where he is today (way above average) and his delivery on players, tactics and results to date, (exceptional in respect to our situation). I am enjoying the glow with my feet 'firmly' on the ground.

I don't blame PD for taking his chances at a higher placed club, BUT i can't help feel that he shouldn't have taken the DRFC job, simply because if it all goes t1ts up, he has nowhere to go from there, and there's the awkward situation of having your mate as your boss factored in also, will be lovely if/when he gets fired.

I really do think that PD should have taken a job at a club such as Macclesfield, learned from his mistakes, appointed an older head alongside him and gone back to basics, and made his way back up the football pyramid, as it is, I unfortunately see him failing at Donny.

Thats a slighhtly bizzarre philosophy

What your saying is that he should choose to work with lesser players on a lesser salary and with less of a budeget to work with and a chairman who might trust him less. You say if he fails at Doncaster he has nowehere to go its not like he will have anywhere tio turn if he fails at macclesfield is it, and swho says he can't work with an older head at Doncaster and learn from his mistakes. He got quite lucky with landing the Doncaster job but should you really look a gift horse in the mouth.

When you put it that way, it sound silly, but in my head it made sense haha.

ie it would be easier perhaps to get a team clicking and moving up at the lower end of the spectrum and building your reputaion up by winning promotion/s etc rather than going to Donny, facing teams of the calibre of Leeds, Wigan, QPR, Reading, Forest, Bolton, Leicester etc, theyre gonna take a load of beatings and will more than likely end up back in L1.

And yeah of course he wasn't going to turn that sort of money down, but by failing, which I fully believe he will there, thats when he will be left with his managerial career in tatters, could be wrong, hope i'm wrong, but I can see him making the same mistakes over and over again.

When you put it that way, it sound silly, but in my head it made sense haha.

ie it would be easier perhaps to get a team clicking and moving up at the lower end of the spectrum and building your reputaion up by winning promotion/s etc rather than going to Donny, facing teams of the calibre of Leeds, Wigan, QPR, Reading, Forest, Bolton, Leicester etc, theyre gonna take a load of beatings and will more than likely end up back in L1.

And yeah of course he wasn't going to turn that sort of money down, but by failing, which I fully believe he will there, thats when he will be left with his managerial career in tatters, could be wrong, hope i'm wrong, but I can see him making the same mistakes over and over again.

I think if he hadn't been in the fortunate position where he had a friend in a high place then he would have moved down to league 2 where like you say he could have built up his reputation by winning promotion and your right Doncaser could be in for hard season ahead. This will be his make or break in management your right but I don't think whether that chance was at Doncaster or in League 2 if he failed his management career would be in tatters regardless and he would find it very hard to get another job.