• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we look a lot like Liverpool did last season when they were settling into Brendan Rodgers's management style. Up until around January they played a lot like us now, regularly played teams off the park but couldn't score a goal to save their lives. Then it clicked in January and I think the commentators at the United match last week said a league table starting in January would see them top.

I can see this being what happens to our team. We'll huff and puff a lot for the time being, but then it will come, just like that...

How?

The errors for our goals have been highlighted. No matter how well you play, you get punished for those kind of errors. But we'll keep learning.

But another key issue is that for all our dominance, they had more clear-cut chances than we did.

Blaming Rooney or the wingers' service is wrong in my opinion.

Preston don't concede many at home and appear to have one of the strongest back-lines in the league.

Our problem was that we were largely whipping balls into the box, high-ish balls, that their defenders - strong and tall - were gobbling up. Rooney was left jumping against tall, strong beasts. That played into their hands a little bit. It's why Philliskirk was quiet too, but his movement is excellent and he may well keep his place.

We needed that little bit of variation, trying to play on the ground through the middle too. This was difficult - as Preston had scored, twice, so they were happy to just sit back and play quite deep - but not impossible.

Rooney is quite good at holding the ball up on the floor - he didn't get that type of service very often.

I think LJ has been ramming home about the need to get better crosses into the box after our failings in earlier games.

We are pretty much there with that now - it's just a shame their keeper had a great night, and their defence is a good one.

Once we improve that extra 5-10 per cent in two final thirds, the points will come.

LJ will continue to work at it.

The quality of his coaching is staggeringly evident in the transformation of Tarky - he's gone from an error-prone defender with seemingly fragile confidence to a strong, technically-gifted and confident ball-playing CB.

Tarky himself should remember that if Doncaster come knocking in January.

The difference for me between this team and others that have had spells of great football under Dickov and Shez for example, is that every single player looks comfortable with the ball at their feet. Not one of them worries me when being pit under pressure.

If we stay injury free and keep the team together, we have good chances of pushing for play offs later in the season when we gel up front.

This is absolutely spot on! It'll come!