• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference for me between this team and others that have had spells of great football under Dickov and Shez for example, is that every single player looks comfortable with the ball at their feet. Not one of them worries me when being pit under pressure.

If we stay injury free and keep the team together, we have good chances of pushing for play offs later in the season when we gel up front.

Negatives:

Rooney didn't have a good night. When he got his chance he fluffed it and barely had a sniff otherwise, but he definitely shouldn't be written off. He isn't quite strong or quick enough against the biggest and best defences at this level but, as Shrewsbury and Port Vale discovered, he's going to terrorise the average/crap teams. Preston had a very strong and disciplined back 5 which didn't give him much space.

Philliskirk was good on the ball but didn't live up to the high standard he set at Shrewsbury.

Wes and Sid were decent and dangerous respectively, but wtf were they thinking for those fouls?? Even if Wes got the ball it was a needless and naive tackle to make.

The result.

Positives:

So so many.

Not just high possession %, but quality passing, moving and build up play.

A lot of the possession is in the final 3rd. We didn't take our chances but we got into so many good positions. We're going to run away with a fair few games this season.

Oxley is getting more assured, although he didn't have much to do.

Lanzoni, Mills and Grounds all made some very good tackles and most impressively played a big part in the style the rest of the team play. So many previous teams we've had never gave our midfield and forwards the chance to play, not this lot.

Schmeltz has a lot to offer and a lot to learn, but he will definitely excite.

Wes definitely has a role in the squad, but not always the 1st XI.

Dayton had his best game so far. Really happy with how well he used the ball when running through the centre.

Smith was my brother's MOTM. It can't be long before a Championship club snaps him up. Not many centre mid's can turn away from their markers so well.

Preston, while lucky, look like a team who will be in the mix at the end of the season. A front two with a lot of nous, and they were a really strong and disciplined defensive unit. You can definitely see why Grayson has won promotion 3 times from this League in the last decade but hasn't had enough in the league above.

LJ has certainly put the pieces in place to have a very successful squad, how well he uses them is the key. I'm certainly willing to give him time as he's willing to look for different ways of changing the team.

I'm forgetting someone......

Oh yeah!

Tarky was a class apart. Fantastic on the ball, great in the air, kept Davies quiet, some smart simple passing when needed, organised the back four, a huge (and possibly our only) threat from attacking set pieces. If he had the pace he would be snapped up by Moyes in January after that performance, but either way the amount he has developed over the last 3 years is fantastic! As close to a 10/10 performance as i've seen from a Latics Player in a long time.

The answer to how, is naivety, plain and simple!!!!

We passed the ball well and were a delight to watch BUT on reflection how much did we create and how many chances did we have?

It may have looked different on tv, but I felt they had the better chances in the second half and we could have used a more direct physical presence earlier in the game.

I felt we had to mix our game up a little in the second half as they knew what was coming and were better prepared to counter it!!

In fairness, I haven't seen the team playing in a while - thought they played brilliantly. A deflection and a dodgy peno was the reason there was no points gained. very impressed at calmness on the ball and playing through the midfield. The goalkeeper actually bowls the ball out to the defenders, unheard of during the last ten years! This manager knows his stuff. It may take a few seasons but we will get out of this god damn division.

Weslowski didn't foul him. Watch the replay before you talk :censored:e.

"Exactly same situation last week with Oxley" - more :censored:e.

Try reading what I wrote propperly. At what part did I say he fouled him? He didn't foul him but he made a tackle that didn't need making which resulted in a penalty.

Oxley, I never said he fouled him last week either. it was the same situation as tonight. Won the ball, but gave a penalty away needlessly.

Next time you want to accuse someone of talking :censored:e you want to read what they write correctly.

I have never been as dumbfounded leaving a ground as I was tonight...

I have never felt as comfortable about the future coming out of a ground after a defeat as I did tonight.

OUR team were a magnificent credit to the club, the manager and the fans.

Two silly challenges, a head high foot in the semi-circle and a totally unnecessary challenge on Davies while he was running along the by-line towards the corner flag - cost us the game, not our defence. Errors that will definitely be addressed during training.

Our downfall for me was the lack of real danger we created in their box. I am sure Johnson has the players to sort it but maybe the right combination is proving a little illusive for him, perhaps not surprising, the squad he has assembled.

The stats alone are an testament of how much progress the club has made in 6 months. 18-7 attempts on goal, 5-1 on target and 12-1 on corners plus 62% of possession. This of course against one of the fancied clubs for promotion on their own patch.

Work very much in progress but boy are we being royally entertained while it is being tweaked.

Tonight for me was better than Peterborough and still we lost, I suppose dumbfounded is not too bad a word after all.

And yes, Tarky was awesome.

Is anyone else worried that we can play really well but still end up with zero points?

I'm all for optimism - but optimism gets feck all points!

Yeah was just thinking the same. As good as we were/are, that's now Peterborough, Tranmere and Preston, 3 games so early in the season we should have either won or drawn, but we get beaten. Yet it seems so many other teams seem to be able to play bad yet still win. I'm still optimistic, but I think we need 2 or 3 wins on the bounce, just to get the players in the habit of winning.

That was physically painful to watch. Utterly sickening. No way did we deserve to lose that, but for all our possession and passing and quality on the ball we were missing that cutting edge up front again. I hope it is just a case of us cutting out the silly mistakes and sharpening up a bit, cos I really don't want us to still be talking about being unlucky and us being due to give someone a battering at the end of October.

I got (accidentally, I think/hope) spat at twice on the way back to the station. And I missed the last train back to Liverpool. I'm currently still on a coach home, which pulled over at one point to let some lad piss in someone's garden. It's nights like tonight that make days like the Liverpool game all the sweeter.

A lot of great talking points tonight and what a performance. !!!!!!!

Got to look at the positives that we are a young team and a work in progress. Only 6 games in with a lot of injustice along the way. However we have to stop commmitting professional suicide.

We should have had a penalty for hand ball on he line but we did not appeal it anyway.

Sid had a great game tonight EXCEPT for the free kick he gave outside the box resulting in a goal. You have got to be mindful what you are doing in these dangerous positions.

Little needs to be said about their penalty in my opinion. Anyone running out of the box especially an old pro like Davies has to be tracked and not challenged. You just do not give the officials the chance to make a decision and Davies was always going to go down easily.

One thing of interest in this respect is that the refereee did not award the penalty that was signalled by he assistant. The referee had a clear view from where I was and it was his call. It is not for the assistant to assume the responsibilites of the referee and the call should have stayed with him. They are told quite clearly that they are there to "assist". If the referee had sight of the incident and not given the penalty that decision should have stood. A difficult one because he will say he was unsighted.

Anyway as gutted as I am I believe we have a fantastic team in the making and I just hope everyone keeps faith in them all.

A lot of great talking points tonight and what a performance. !!!!!!!

Got to look at the positives that we are a young team and a work in progress. Only 6 games in with a lot of injustice along the way. However we have to stop commmitting professional suicide.

We should have had a penalty for hand ball on he line but we did not appeal it anyway.

Sid had a great game tonight EXCEPT for the free kick he gave outside the box resulting in a goal. You have got to be mindful what you are doing in these dangerous positions.

Little needs to be said about their penalty in my opinion. Anyone running out of the box especially an old pro like Davies has to be tracked and not challenged. You just do not give the officials the chance to make a decision and Davies was always going to go down easily.

One thing of interest in this respect is that the refereee did not award the penalty that was signalled by he assistant. The referee had a clear view from where I was and it was his call. It is not for the assistant to assume the responsibilites of the referee and the call should have stayed with him. They are told quite clearly that they are there to "assist". If the referee had sight of the incident and not given the penalty that decision should have stood. A difficult one because he will say he was unsighted.

Anyway as gutted as I am I believe we have a fantastic team in the making and I just hope everyone keeps faith in them all.

Barry i don't think you need to worry about people keeping the faith in this team. We lost tonight but I actually couldn't give a :censored: in the grand scheme of things. I got more than my monies worth tonight. I saw a team that plays real football with all 11 players comfortable in possession and actually WANTING the ball - a team that didn't give up right to the final whistle, even after going 2-0 down to two nothing goals. it's the third time I've seen us this season and we've only won one of them but I feel I've got more enjoyment watching this team than I would have got in 10 games last season (bar the cup run) or in fact 10 games in any season right back to Shez's first season in charge.

If we finish mid table and play like that every week (or like we did against Tranmere, or Vale or by all reports, Stevenege or P'boro) I will be more than happy. We seem to have found a gem in LJ and the early signs suggest he's put together a squad that's more exciting than anything we've seen for a decade imo.

PS. Get tarky a five year deal.

The difference for me between this team and others that have had spells of great football under Dickov and Shez for example, is that every single player looks comfortable with the ball at their feet. Not one of them worries me when being pit under pressure.

If we stay injury free and keep the team together, we have good chances of pushing for play offs later in the season when we gel up front.

I am worried about playing well and losing, too good to go down and all that stuff.

Far too early for certainty, but a nerve tingling sign

Only other worry was losing the aerial challenge. At HT PNE had won 60% of the aerial battles.

That and the goals were the only points where we did not batter them.

But boy am I hopeful, it was a pleasure to watch, and agree we play like that and we will give someone a real pasting.

The point I agree with most, is how comfortable the whole team is on the ball.

Several instances of playing it across the back, and looking very composed, that continental impression of having an age on the ball

And numerous passess into space or in tight spaces that we seemed to win every time

we were outstanding last night, woke up this morning and still couldn't believe we didn't win. the first goal was pure luck and the penalty was very soft imo.

we just need that bit of luck to come our way and we'll be fine (similar to the luck preston had)

Slightly O/T but I thought the ref did well tonight. He was consistent with his decisions.

I agree, thought he had decent game and he gave the decision for the pen based on linesman having a better view of it. Wes should never of put his foot in cos Davies was going no where, yes you can argue he got a touch on the ball all day long but why give the officials a chance to give a pen. Needless 2 tackles cost us, again! On plus side I've never felt happier in a defeat cos if we cut out the daft mistakes then someone is going to take a good hiding!

We played such great football last night, it made me proud to support Latics again.

However i've made this point on another thread but we play absolutely sublime football on the deck, but as soon as we try and lump it forward we lose all momentum and begin to let our opponents slip back into the game.

We have no man in attack that can latch on to the long ball (Unlike Preston with Davies)

Let's continue to play football on the deck and frustrate the opposition.