Entertaining first half. Not many negatives other than the score and silly fouls. Love watching us play this type of football! Thought our defence played well too, which I was worried about at the start of the season.

When it clicks we can rip the league apart, just need to gel a bit more. Not really worried about this season, despite losing a few early games.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a joke? nearly every ball I initially thought had been overhit.. only for them to turn into perfectly weighted crosses just BEGGING to be battered into the net. Mills cross-cum-curled top corner shot had me screaming at the telly..

Thought Montano brought little when he came on, would've preferred Sidney staying on. And I really like Montano.

They were either straight in to the keepers arms or effectively shots on goal!

I do agree in a sense though, set pieces badly need to be worked on, delivery and movement in the middle not good enough on them tonight.

I was much more impressed with schmeltz than I expected to be would definitely pick over monatano on tonight's showing.

I agree the Montano didn't have much impact tonight, but Schmeltz looked like he was running out of steam and/or ideas in the 2nd half and was starting to look a bit clumsy. I'd start with Montano and use Schmeltz as an impact sub, ideally running at a full back on a yellow.

They were either straight in to the keepers arms or effectively shots on goal!

I do agree in a sense though, set pieces badly need to be worked on, delivery and movement in the middle not good enough on them tonight.

They were lacking runners across in front of them. Some cracking deliveries, movement let them down I felt.

I feel for LJ ..what do you say ... How after anylising the DVD can he say we got what we deserved. We were unlucky .. 1st goal irrelevant of sids high foot was a fluke 99 times out of 100 it loops a mile over .. Pen was not a foul in a million years .. Their full back made a decent save .. Oxley wasn't troubled at all .. Back 4 were excellent ... Tarki outstanding MOM .. Midfield were great and busy ... Wes was his old self and korey at the heart of everything ... Wingers were great .. Great deliveries and a constant threat ... Rooney was jaded but still effective .. Philli was busy but marked out . We should have won .. I still feel like we have

Edited by andy_b_100

I agree the Montano didn't have much impact tonight, but Schmeltz looked like he was running out of steam and/or ideas in the 2nd half and was starting to look a bit clumsy. I'd start with Montano and use Schmeltz as an impact sub, ideally running at a full back on a yellow.

Schmeltz has been our best winger three games running now and our system is massively reliant on wing play. He'll start on Saturday and rightly so.

He'll only get fitter and stronger.

Schmeltz has been our best winger three games running now and our system is massively reliant on wing play. He'll start on Saturday and rightly so.

He'll only get fitter and stronger.

His final delivery is hit and miss but there's plenty to work with. Was great to hear him admit he needs to improve his shooting on an interview as well.

Disappointed with Rooney again tonight, didn't win a single header! Schmeltz was ok in patches but needs to improve his delivery.

We were brilliant in every area tonight, just like on Saturday, except for the area were it matters. If we can get that right, there's no reason we can't challenge at the top end. Mills deliveries were poor, we must have somebody who can deliver better free kicks/corners?

Defending was brilliant, back 4 fantastic, it's just a shame their hard work was ruined by two poor challenges, Preston never troubled us in the slightest tonight so it's a shame!

As for Tarky, majestic, again!

What???

We would do well to extend his loan..his deliveries from the corner were not too dissimilar to a certain person in my avatar.

Wow. How did we not get a result from that?

Watched on Sky and very favourable comments from the match team - Mellor in the studio and Goodman during the match.

But - nice comments don't make points. And we should have had some of those tonight.

It's almost there. It's soo close to clicking into place.

We were 1st to the majority of second balls. Even though they were up against an extra man, Wes and Korey won the central midfield battle. Sid was causing problems on the wing, Dayton was effective when cutting in, Grounds and Tarky were absolutely superb, Mills and Matteo rarely troubled and were able to et forward. My only disappointment was the lacking final ball / finish....both Rooney and Danny P were pretty ineffective; so too Charlie and JCH when they came on.

Soo very nearly there. When it does all slot in together, and i think its soon, we'll be able to go on a positive run and win lots of games.

I hope people remain patient with it.....loads of games left, we're not out if September yet and we will be nowhere near another relegation battle come the final mix up. Mark my words, its so close to gelling and when it does.....wow.

So proud in defeat tonight. That was an immense performance, the gloss taken off with the lack of points to show for it...but it will come!

I think the message from LJ will be to be patient.

You can see how we're progressively improving, wingers seem to be getting into the games more, Korey Smith is as imperious as ever with Mellor to return soon and defence is strong having been finally put together.

Attack is where we're far too inconsistent. Score 3 or 4 one match then not score at all, but you can feel it's going to click soon, and once it does we will hammer somebody.

After a 2 win-4 loss, pretty average record I still remain optimistic. We'll come good soon, it's just a matter of time.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I think Preston defended very well and their goalkeeper was also very good,the only ball their goalie didn't get, resulted in the Tarky goal.

Unlucky tonight, a freak goal and a dubious penalty.

I think the message from LJ will be to be patient.

You can see how we're progressively improving, wingers seem to be getting into the games more, Korey Smith is as imperious as ever with Mellor to return soon and defence is strong having been finally put together.

Attack is where we're far too inconsistent. Score 3 or 4 one match then not score at all, but you can feel it's going to click soon, and once it does we will hammer somebody.

After a 2 win-4 loss, pretty average record I still remain optimistic. We'll come good soon, it's just a matter of time.

At this stage last season, we had six points and scored five goals, conceding seven ..one win, two losses and three draws.

This season, scored nine, conceded eleven and no draws..and I don't think that we will be seeing many this season.

On the way out of the ground was chatting to a Preston fan, we both agreed it was a good advert for League 1, he thought they got away with that tonight. Unfortunately we did not win too many balls in the air, but having said that we certainly played the better football. The lino cost us a point with another bad decision, as usual there is no comeback, he gets another game on Saturday instead of being dropped and retrained. Tarky was pure class tonight, also Korey Smith looked quality. We are so close to getting it right, once it happens i beleive we could go on a decent unbeaten run.

Two balls caused the keeper some problems, but only because they were so over hit.

Let's put it this way, they were better than the abysmal corners we got used to witnessing last season..and caused more chaos.

Defence is getting there despite no clean sheet so far.

If we had/can get two decent strikers then we should have a comfortable season.

We have got decent forwards. Rooney has yet to settle with a regular partner..give them the right service and they will score..or would you sooner we bought in a string of loans? At least they are Latics' strikers to work with and develop for the good of the club.

That has to rank as one of the best performances I have ever seen a team, and I don't just mean us, put in. It was one way traffic for 90 mins. Stats don't lie. I saw and 82% in their third at one point, and later a 1% in our third. Yes, we lost. Yes, I'm gutted. But my god, they looked good. Kept the ball so well, stroked it around like Barca. The composure some of the lads showed when under pressure I our own box was amazing. LJ has them drilled so well. Never mind Dickovs old 'they're just not listening' crap. These guys are listening to him.

Not many teams will get that much fortune. And to be fair, Prestons defence did well. Big and strong, didn't give us much space in the final quarter. Ours on the other hand, while not really looking too troubled, allowed themselves to be stretched a bit, which gave them chance to get a few shots in. I thought Prestons defence looked better as a unit when we were trying to break through. And their keeper was pretty outstanding. If not for him punching clear, palming over and catching cross we could have been in double figures.

Onwards and upwards. I know it's a cliche but if we play that we'll every week we'll be promoted, never mind top half. They just couldn't live with us.