New Wingers in January

Possibility, but they've got a KFC on one end of the ground don't they? I was thinking it could be Guiseley...

Could be, Guisely beat Histon 3-0 at home on that day. Glossop were away.

Perhaps the creative attacking midfielder Danny Boshell was the target ? :wink:

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This place isn't half funny.

Strange how there were no posters rushing to knock Wes when results were picking up in the league, and he was picking up MOTM awards.

He misses a game on Saturday, that we inturn miss him during; and comes back in tonight - 1 very dissapointment result later and boom - here they are again.

Strange that...

So he was crap when we were winning and people (others) were not complaining, so what, does that invalidate any discussion! MOTM awards please point them out because I must have missed those, and awarded by whom, people who are 'football experts?' If you think it was a disappointing result then yes, on the lottery of penalties. If you looked elsewhere I have actually complimented Chesterfield on the way that they played as it was much better than Mansfield and we didn't do enough to win. Why didn't we do enough to win, well I have offered my opinion and your constructive criticism is what exactly? I am just rechecking your post!

Wes had a good game last night too. Despite one or two passes that went astray he was throwing himself into everything. Our best player in our decent run.

So you justify his performance but then highlight his errors, is that some kind of inverted compliment? Then you say that he threw himself into everything as if that is a good thing for a midfield player, WTF did he offer constructively going forward?

As always nothing, in my opinion. I wouldn't mind if these fans who think that Wes justifies his place ever came up with something constructive but they never do! He is the problem with this team and I have been saying it for ages.

As always nothing, in my opinion. I wouldn't mind if these fans who think that Wes justifies his place ever came up with something constructive but they never do! He is the problem with this team and I have been saying it for ages.

He always wants the ball and links the play to our front men (as does Smith), he is very strong when in possession and trying to win possession back, he is remarkably good in the air for someone his size, he sticks his foot in and his football intelligence is very impressive (filling in holes left by full backs/Tarky when they bomb forward).

Is that constructive enough...

So you justify his performance but then highlight his errors, is that some kind of inverted compliment? Then you say that he threw himself into everything as if that is a good thing for a midfield player, WTF did he offer constructively going forward?

From what I've seen of both Smith and Wes neither seems to naturally push forwards a lot but both break up play and win possession very well. Although there are certainly examples of both going forward and making something happen i.e. Smith scoring against Mansfield and Wes' assist for JCH Vs Bradford.

Looking at the other options that we've had this season makes things look more favourable to Wes. We've had Baxter who certainly had all the traits you'd want from an attacking midfielder but not the defensive attributes, Rodgers and Winchester who looks neat and tidy on the ball in general but not as physical or disciplined as Wes, and Mellor who, while looking like he has the ability to play the role well, hasn't taken his chances yet.

Wes has been by far the most reliable out of the list above. He isn't the complete midfielder but I think people underestimate just how much of a battleground the centre of midfield can be. We rarely lose the battle in midfield since Wes and Smith formed their partnership and for me that's the first and foremost thing, I don't think people could name many all-round box-to-box midfielders at this level (certainly not that we could afford) so what we've got is the next best thing.

If creativity is a concern then I think the first place to look at is, back on topic, the wingers. I'd much rather have Wes playing fairly well game after game rather than Schmeltz or to a lesser extent Dayton who might have the odd magic moment/half but don't deliver most of the time. Philliskirk looked like a decent link man when he drops deep through the middle as well. If we've got a solid 2 players in central mid I don't think it's too much to ask that the wingers and forwards are the first to take on the attacking responsibility.

From what I've seen of both Smith and Wes neither seems to naturally push forwards a lot but both break up play and win possession very well. Although there are certainly examples of both going forward and making something happen i.e. Smith scoring against Mansfield and Wes' assist for JCH Vs Bradford.

Looking at the other options that we've had this season makes things look more favourable to Wes. We've had Baxter who certainly had all the traits you'd want from an attacking midfielder but not the defensive attributes, Rodgers and Winchester who looks neat and tidy on the ball in general but not as physical or disciplined as Wes, and Mellor who, while looking like he has the ability to play the role well, hasn't taken his chances yet.

Wes has been by far the most reliable out of the list above. He isn't the complete midfielder but I think people underestimate just how much of a battleground the centre of midfield can be. We rarely lose the battle in midfield since Wes and Smith formed their partnership and for me that's the first and foremost thing, I don't think people could name many all-round box-to-box midfielders at this level (certainly not that we could afford) so what we've got is the next best thing.

If creativity is a concern then I think the first place to look at is, back on topic, the wingers. I'd much rather have Wes playing fairly well game after game rather than Schmeltz or to a lesser extent Dayton who might have the odd magic moment/half but don't deliver most of the time. Philliskirk looked like a decent link man when he drops deep through the middle as well. If we've got a solid 2 players in central mid I don't think it's too much to ask that the wingers and forwards are the first to take on the attacking responsibility.

That's fair comment Bosh, if LJ says the team needs to conjure up openings the wingers need to step up to the task, and not just for the odd few minutes out of 90.

Edited by BP1960

Despite what I've said above, we will miss Dayton for the next 3 weeks as he's shown more than our other wingers have.

its been the issue all season, ALL the wingers haven.t performed to any decent level of consistency, thats where we are weak and why we have poor goals for record, , if you play 2 holding midfielders you have to have a good front 4, and we haven.t

its been the issue all season, ALL the wingers haven.t performed to any decent level of consistency, thats where we are weak and why we have poor goals for record, , if you play 2 holding midfielders you have to have a good front 4, and we haven.t

I agree. I haven't been convinced with schmeltz from the beginning, a few fancy flicks to get past your man is great and all but if you can only get your cross past the first man 1/10 times and that's over shot it's pointless. Montano is a tw*t but from a performance point of view too often wouldn't turn up. Dayton I have sympathy with, he had a really nasty knock and is still recovering from that and, untill this lay off, improving each game and looking more of a threat. Patrasso is explosive from what I have seen and he likes to cut inside but seems to shy away from having a pop outside the box.

Some good points there Bosh, but they do seem to add up to us not having anything better so we must make do! I wasn't bothered about Baxter going as he was as poor defensively as Wes is when attacking but I exclude Winchester and Rodgers from my thoughts as I cannot see them providing solutions and Mellor does have some potential but is not very mobile so doesn't show often! If we then move on to Sidney, it is up to the midfield to push us forward and give him the ball. Philliskirk is an inside forward whom some (not you) seem to think answers our problems in midfield. I want to watch a midfielder with some element of skill and progressive thinking not a ball winner (water carrier) playing in front of a very good defensive midfielder. I think that is where our problems are in what could be a very good team that is currently suffering from injuries/suspensions and a poor Rooney.