Tarky

Grounds

Petrasso

Winchester

Smith

Philliskirk

Rooney

JCH

It's not an easy team to call because Tarky and Grounds have looked very good at centre back, but Grounds can play left back and those are the four defenders who are in the best form.

Winchester has earned a start after his last two sub appearances plus he and Smith will certainly keep possession and be tidy in the midfield, but if it is too lightweight then we should look to bring on Mellor to put in there. Rodgers is an option but behind Winchester on current form.

The other four all add something different going forward and as we should be taking the game to them we should use as much firepower as possible. If Petrasso and Philliskirk cutting inside is too narrow then they could switch flanks but Petrasso certainly looked very good cutting inside on Tuesday.

Clarke Harris is suspended

Ah didn't realise JCH was suspended. Philly up and Mellor on the left could work OK with Winchester, Smith and Mellor almost being like a central 3 with Petrasso floating looking for the space/gaps to play.

Philly on the flanks is mainly because he can do the defensive shift but is still able to drift inside and get involved with play through the middle. I don't see him as a wide player going forward at all, but by having him there you can also play a front 2 as well as him.

Ah didn't realise JCH was suspended. Philly up and Mellor on the left could work OK with Winchester, Smith and Mellor almost being like a central 3 with Petrasso floating looking for the space/gaps to play.

Philly on the flanks is mainly because he can do the defensive shift but is still able to drift inside and get involved with play through the middle. I don't see him as a wide player going forward at all, but by having him there you can also play a front 2 as well as him.

You don't want to be having DP do any sort of defensive shift. You want him focusing his energies where he is most dangerous

You don't want to be having DP do any sort of defensive shift. You want him focusing his energies where he is most dangerous

You want anyone in the midfield to do a defensive shift and if they are a player like Philliskirk who can do both then fantastic.

Especially when compared to the rest of our wingers who certainly offer something going forward but do leave the full backs exposed quite often (Sidney is the most obvious example of this).

All things being even of course I'd want Philly to play up front, but when we have limited wingers, a decent 4-4-2 system and two other strikers that can make a big impact as well then sometimes a compromise can work. Philly is great because he is creative enough to find space in between the opposition defence and midfield yet he's disciplined enough to hold his position and work for the team when we haven't got the ball.

Obviously this isn't the case on Saturday and I think Rooney and Philliskirk work really well as a partnership, certainly going off the evidence of the JPT at Shrewsbury.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

He was wasted out wide away to Notts County. I'd much rather go Petrasso and Winchester and have DP in the hole.

I'd much rather make the opposition worry about us than the other way round.

I also know from experience when playing as a forward and having to do a lot of tracking back it takes away from your sharpness in and around the box when an opportunity presents itself. I think that also explains why the top scorers are 'poacher' types rather than 'workhorses'

He was wasted out wide away to Notts County. I'd much rather go Petrasso and Winchester and have DP in the hole.

I also know from experience when playing as a forward and having to do a lot of tracking back it takes away from your sharpness in and around the box when an opportunity presents itself. I think that also explains why the top scorers are 'poacher' types rather than 'workhorses'

That's fair enough, I guess I always look at it from a defensive point of view first as that's where I always used to play!

Whatever floats your boat, my friend.

The ticket voucher incentive means there should be a decent crowd in and we all know how well we do in front of a decent crowd...

10000 were there for liverpool and we won 3-2, 9700 were there for everton and we got a draw, this 'we don't play well with big crowds" is bollocks

10000 were there for liverpool and we won 3-2, 9700 were there for everton and we got a draw, this 'we don't play well with big crowds" is bollocks

Think it is more accurate to say we don't do well in front of big crowds when it is cheap (not free entry).

Out of 3 voucher games last season (Brentford, MK Dons, Pompey) we won 2 and lost 1. Although we were helped by Sodje and his alleged misdeads in the last one.