Kusunga in midfield at Sheffield ?

Not as daft as you may think, here's what LJ said when he signed him.

“Genseric is very smooth on the ball for a big defender, and that’s just what I was after.

“He can play in a number of positions too — whether it be as centre-back, right-back or in central midfield.”

I would play 4-1-4-1 , with Tarks in front of the back four. This would need Clarke -Harris as the one up front , a difficult role but one he could do .

The form of the team has dipped . Take away the unbeaten aspect , the home draws with Chesterfield & Mansfield were disappointing. We did a professional job on a desperate Mansfield team in the replay.

Two away games in the next four days with players missing & the manager tearing them to pieces(deservedly) for the Colchester performance , an interesting few days await.

you may not have noticed but kasunga (who is a very good player ) was subbed at half time at Mansfield and was not even in the squad for Saturday as he has an injury ( glute )

I know LJ has been reported as kicking some butt, but not literally I hope, :shakeit:

Theo Walcott had the same thing last season and played 7 days later, in fact he scored 6 goals in 6 games after that, so maybe Kusunga could also return with a spring in his step. :grin:

Edited by BP1960

God no

Remember seeing Reece brown play centre mid though he was guff moved him to centre back and he was excellent think kusunga will look lost playing centre mid. I don't like seeing him at right back either he looks far more comfortable playing centre back.

Still don't know why we aren't seeing more of our strongest back four which would be from left to right

Grounds kusunga tarkowski lanzoni

God no

Remember seeing Reece brown play centre mid though he was guff moved him to centre back and he was excellent think kusunga will look lost playing centre mid. I don't like seeing him at right back either he looks far more comfortable playing centre back.

Still don't know why we aren't seeing more of our strongest back four which would be from left to right

After his 2nd half performance on Saturday I would give the right back slot to Brown. Grounds is left back and Tarky and Matteo centre, If Genseric has recovered from his injury put him on the bench or play him as a 3rd centre back and go 5-3-2.

God no

How can you make assumptions on him without any knowledge of how he would play there ?...LJ clearly thinks he can use him there or he wouldn't have said so.

If you don'y try you will never know.

Edited by BP1960

After his 2nd half performance on Saturday I would give the right back slot to Brown. Grounds is left back and Tarky and Matteo centre, If Genseric has recovered from his injury put him on the bench or play him as a 3rd centre back and go 5-3-2.

I don't this is the fixture to be trying new formations perhaps go back to what we know a little bit.

Conor brown did well on Saturday but for me that's what he is a good back up right back could we try him in midfield at one point?

How can you make assumptions on him without any knowledge of how he would play there ?...LJ clearly thinks he can use him there or he wouldn't have said so.

Just from what I've seen he looks most comfortable at centre back

You have said in the past We shouldn't have square pegs in round holes and you've also been critical about having 2 holding midfielders is playing a centre back there any better? Do you see kusunga getting beyond the strikers or playing killer balls through?

For me as we have lost our way a little recently I would go back to basics from the players we have

My team for Boxing Day would be:

Oxley

Lanzoni kusunga tarkowski grounds

Winchester Rodgers smith petrasso

Rooney Clarke Harris

Assuming Philly Dayton and Wes are all missing

Edited by GlossopLatic

as the squad gets thinner i reckon we can see some square pegs in round holes

If we didnt have JCH back i would almost suggest chucking a center half up front as Rooney doesnt win enough in the air

we have seen square pegs in round holes all season thats some of the problem,

Says the man bemoaning playing Wes and Smith together for being too defensive.

Just from what I've seen he looks most comfortable at centre back

You have said in the past We shouldn't have square pegs in round holes and you've also been critical about having 2 holding midfielders is playing a centre back there any better? Do you see kusunga getting beyond the strikers or playing killer balls through?

For me as we have lost our way a little recently I would go back to basics from the players we have

My team for Boxing Day would be:

Oxley

Lanzoni kusunga tarkowski grounds

Winchester Rodgers smith petrasso

Rooney Clarke Harris

Assuming Philly Dayton and Wes are all missing

I'd go for that and all, assuming Sid will never pull on the shirt again.

Have I missed something that means we require a defender in midfield? Rodgers and Smith in the centre surely (or Winchester - magnificent at Mansfield).

Assuming Kusunga, Dayton, Wes, CMac and Philly all miss out..

Oxley - Brown Lanzoni Tarkowski Grounds - Mellor(or Winchester) Smith Rodgers(or Winchester) Petrasso - JCH Rooney

or could play Grounds CB and Mellor LB again.

I hope Plummer never plays for us again.

If Danny is injured things look bleak for Boxing Day.

Because our crossing this season has been so gash, we have heavily relied on intricate passing through the middle. Dayton and MacDonald are great for this, as is Danny P. Without those three I fear where are chances are coming from. I would then turn to Schmeltz. He might be being naughty off the pitch, who knows, but if he plays like he cares and actually creates, I'll take that.

The problem is at League One level in particular, basic crossing and quality service into the box will, statistically, lead to more chances and goals. Some Premier League managers go by this. Our lack of good service had affected out threat from set plays - I agree DP has to take them. This has also affected Rooney, but his movement - which I think is what's annoying LJ - is disappointing.

I'm not advocating long ball though far from it, but the above factors are why our goalscoring is so low at home. Away, we've been able to play through the gaps, particularly with Danny and Charlie Mac, and when we've found JCH in enough space for him to hold it up. At home, teams are learning that you just fit deep, pack midfield and contain. Let us pass where we can't hurt. Then hit us on break and swing in crosses, from which we are still poor defensively.

People mentioning Grounss at LB, but he's let crosses in far too easily this season and cost us goals. Mellor certainly hasn't done any worse in they position - and yes I say that with conviction; doesn't mean I'm saying he's Ashley Cole... But reckon LJ may go with Grounds on Boxing Day for height - and predict Sheff U under Clough will be quite functional, and will have to play through the middle if Baxter is in the team...!

Our best crossing performance so far this season was perhaps Winchester v Swindon? But he isn't a winger, just as Mellor isn't. In fact, it appears we only have one proper senior winger available - and he's a young loanee!

It seems we are trying to play a system with wingers when we don't have any. Earlier this season it worked as the likes of Dayton could cut in, Charlie Mac had the movement and could hold the ball up under pressure despite his lack of height, and our 4-4-2 was quite fluid. Now it's stalling, big time amid injuries and confidence. And teams are cashing in because, amid this, we are changing the back four week in week out and have a keeper scared to come out.

We've got to mix it up a bit, improve the passing and intensity (a given to avoid Sat again!) but sometimes find JCH in the channel just to mix it up or relieve pressure now and then when our Tika taka isn't flowing!

I've been advocating 4-3-1-2 for a while as the best formation to get a player in the hole to work. Dickov (Tony P?) did it to beat Liverpool, it worked with Dayton coming inside earlier this season, and away at Shrews and Mansfield with Danny P cutting in behind JCH/Rooney/CM.

LJ might pick similar players and just be expecting a response.

But he may react to our wingerless and hopeless situation... That hasn't worked yet, in a 4-5-1 when he's tried it away, and puts in line for criticism if hit falls on its arse again, but I could see him starting with it and going 4-4-2 later on... A thicker midfield might also 'allow' him to play a flatter back four if he isn't willing to go for the likes of Brown, Winchester or Plummer at full-back.

Not sure what he'll do though.

Presuming Wes and GK miss out, and we'll go for it a bit:

Oxley

Brown/Lanzoni, Tarky, Grounds, Mellor

Smith, Rodgers, Winchester

Philli/Petrasso/

Rooney, JCH

Edited by IceStationLatic

Says the man bemoaning playing Wes and Smith together for being too defensive.

I have said that's the problem in home games, this one is away, besides how do you know that's the case ?

Kusunga has shown he can run powerfully with the ball at his feet, and if given license Smith can be very effective in the opposition half,