Safe Standing

How does standing reduce ticket costs?

Or is it purely dependant on the assumption that crowds will grow due to terracing, thus ticket prices could in effect be reduced?

Standing is usually cheaper than sitting.

What would most likely happen is they would just increase the cost of seats and keep standing tickets at the current level.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Safe standing should be introduced at both ends of the ground for home and away supporters but it is not a cheap alternative because no doubt rail seating will be required. Daft I know because with our level of support you could easily just introduce the old style standing paddock with seats behind. Standing and having a drink like I can at Mossley and they do in Germany would appear an unreachable dream.

However I suspect 'the powers that be' will wait for the verdict of the Hillsborough Inquest.

I worry that standing would lower prices and welcome back some of the lesser desirables and bring back some of the less welcome traits of yester year.

That said I enjoy standing but would rather keep the prices in line with current trends if it meant keeping the scroats out of football. I just think places like Oldham could do without too many £10 season ticket folk coming on matchdays and be more hassle than its worth.

So you are claiming that the poor of this world are just dumb, uncouth hooligans with personal hygiene problems and that Oldham Athletic should only encourage those from a higher social economic bracket because they will all be eloquent, presentable, well mannered

The peasants are revolting?

*sigh*

I'm genuinely interested - what do they do for you?

Nothing for me.

I believe they do a lot for England fans abroad.

And legal help to unlucky innocents who wrongly get in trouble at matches.

The organised voice of 500k, and counting, football fans could make a lot of difference in our favour eventually.

What amazes me about this debate is that it is absolutely clear and accepted that standing is NOT dangerous or it would have been banned post Hillsborough.....a good proportion of lower league clubs and I imagine the majority of non league clubs have standing....did I really risk my life at Crawley and Brentford this season??!!

It is certainly true that changes were needed after Hillsborough but as is often the case in this country the arguments become polarised and it is non-PC to suggest standing can return (even though it never went away).

Frankly, standing should be allowed in any ground that meets the modern safety standards and, tragic as it was, Hillsborough should not frame every decision based on emotion when standing itself was not the primary cause.

They need to drop the word "safe" as it subconsciously suggests that it's not.

I just don't think it would work unless we had the rail seat number system as compulsory. That said imagine running late and having to find your 'place' in the stand when its full?

My other worry is that I like how football has priced a certain element out of the game and its more enjoyable to take family to now.

I worry that standing would lower prices and welcome back some of the lesser desirables and bring back some of the less welcome traits of yester year.

That said I enjoy standing but would rather keep the prices in line with current trends if it meant keeping the scroats out of football. I just think places like Oldham could do without too many £10 season ticket folk coming on matchdays and be more hassle than its worth.

Good grief.

I believe that football has priced some elements out of the game and we are better for it. Look what happened when we had £10 season tickets we had things on the web site to ask fans not to set fire to peoples hair!! Lol Standing is a good idea I am just saying the way oldham is these days if we lower the price to much we would attract the idiots or the Jeremy Kyle guests of tomorrow! Students get student cards and cheaper tickets by all means its unfortunate that my 'generalisation' has been proven by past promotions and life itself, it is what it is.

Having standing doesn't mean we have to reduce season ticket prices to £10. As mentioned above, are we just trying to out-price the working class from the game for the sake of those with jobs/a bit of cash being able to sit down for 90 minutes?

More to the point how is almost every country in the world able to pull off standing expect England?

Personally I'd love to see a standing area at Latics. When Ive been over its quiet and I long for the old chaddy end days, even though Im now nearing sixty. If you don't want to stand, theres always a choice of the seats. Let the younger fans stand and shout and get behind the team, it used to be great jumping up and down in the old Chaddy.

Not saying season tickets should be or will be cheaper I am just commenting on the type of people we attract when it is cheaper and i said if the ten pound st is anything to go by then we know what could happen.

Obviously there has to be some price difference between seats and standing and I think that football at our level isn't to badly priced overall.

I just don't think it would work unless we had the rail seat number system as compulsory. That said imagine running late and having to find your 'place' in the stand when its full?

My other worry is that I like how football has priced a certain element out of the game and its more enjoyable to take family to now.

Prick.

No i am no better than folk on here at all i ceftainly dont think i am its not what my point is.

Its my opinion about pricing and what has happened as a result in the past.

I have read everyones take on it and if I dont agree I dont reply. I dont resort to insults, that I am better than!

No i am no better than folk on here at all i ceftainly dont think i am its not what my point is.

Its my opinion about pricing and what has happened as a result in the past.

I have read everyones take on it and if I dont agree I dont reply. I dont resort to insults, that I am better than!

So do you have any links to studies showing that your opinion, that the poor are more violent / smelly / ugly at football matches, has any basis in fact?

At what price range do you suggest that all these undesirables will stop turning up to games at Oldham?

Read my initial post again because I think it has been taken out of context now and its getting tedious. Football has priced a certain element out of the game and that's what I refer to its a fact thats known not just at Oldham.

As for studies about the poor being more violent, wasn't really specifically my point and we are digressing a little but....really we need a study for that??? Lmao This is called the study of life! Live in moss side or chelsea where would you feel safest? Just answering your question not related to my point.

As for any of the other terms you have decided to invent smelly ugly etc I know from personal experience of being no oil painting this isn't the case I managed a fair few games lol

Read my initial post again because I think it has been taken out of context now and its getting tedious. Football has priced a certain element out of the game and that's what I refer to its a fact thats known not just at Oldham.

As for studies about the poor being more violent, wasn't really specifically my point and we are digressing a little but....really we need a study for that??? Lmao This is called the study of life! Live in moss side or chelsea where would you feel safest? Just answering your question not related to my point.

As for any of the other terms you have decided to invent smelly ugly etc I know from personal experience of being no oil painting this isn't the case I managed a fair few games lol

If you think it has been taken out of context - and i have read all your posts in this thread several times, mainly in disbelief, then feel free to clarify further.

You use the term - 'lesser desirables' in the context of wanting them priced out of football. Please expand on the trait you mean by undesirable.

Lesser desirables I refer to that have been priced out of football to some extent were some of the people intent on getting drunk and causing trouble.

I am happy with the current structure at boundary park and feel free and at ease to take family of all ages and like the fact we can take children and wives.

The point in my post was that if the price was lowered significantly and terrace stands introduced that may change that.

Granted it is all hypothetical as its not been introduced but that was the main point.

If you are offended by my suggestion I am sorry but its my opinion.

Edited by KYLEOAFC

I dont mean to offend but the point of this board is that people can discuss their opinions and not everyone will share the same view. I genuinely apologise if I have offended anyone but I stick by what my intent was and I am happy that football has moved away from the image of years gone by and the one benfit of increased prices is that there is an increased family feel about the occassion and certain people are priced out.

I'd interpret increaced prices as families being forced out, especially since the financial crisis. Many can't afford to fork out on, for example, 2 adult season tickets and a kid one.

Standing won't have an impact on prices at our level as we don't have the crowds to suffice a reduction in prices nor would we if standing was introduced.

Good football is the only way to bring them back!

I would 100% back a £10 kids st promotion again if purchased with a full paying adult ticket etc to help families financially I am all for that. Your right in what your saying also we couldn't drastically reduce our costs anyway so my previous 'unpopular' concerns would never play out anyway. Win games week in week out fans return!

Edited by KYLEOAFC

I would 100% back a £10 kids st promotion again if purchased with a full paying adult ticket etc to help families financially I am all for that. Your right in what your saying also we couldn't drastically reduce our costs anyway so my previous 'unpopular' concerns would never play out anyway. Win games week in week out fans return!

But some of them might be scrotes. Scrotes from Oldham even.

Are you sure winning games week in, week out is such a good idea?