Monatano's appeal

That's not actually true, if Montano's appeal is unsuccessful and he takes the club to an Employment Tribunal, then the Employment Tribunal is likely to be delayed until the outcome of the criminal case(s) is known. Furthermore, one of Montano's claims could be that by sacking him, the club prejudiced his criminal case(s).

Not sure about that rudemedic, for example if someone wilfully thumped another person at work and it was witnessed, that could amount to bona fide instant dismissal for assault before it got to court.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about that rudemedic, for example if someone wilfully thumped another person at work and it was witnessed, that could amount to bona fide instant dismissal for assault before it got to court.

True but there are cases (remembering that a lot of employment law is case-based) whereby dismissing someone has been unfair dismissal for prejudicing a criminal case.

Not as cut and dried as you reckon. Mind you, his actual lawyer might do everyone a favour and play the token my-client-is-an-idiot defence before conceding everything.

But in what? This can only surely be the internal appeal. So maybe Barry sacked him and Neil is hearing the appeal. What lawyers?

True but there are cases (remembering that a lot of employment law is case-based) whereby dismissing someone has been unfair dismissal for prejudicing a criminal case.

I'm no expert, but I can see how Statute would be used in an ET and how Contract law would apply, but I can't see how case-law would be relevant in most cases as the contracts of employment are unlikely to be the same in different cases. If it were something outside the contract, it would be in the statute wouldn't it? And beyond any ET in a higher court, wouldn't the same apply?

I'm no expert, but I can see how Statute would be used in an ET and how Contract law would apply, but I can't see how case-law would be relevant in most cases as the contracts of employment are unlikely to be the same in different cases. If it were something outside the contract, it would be in the statute wouldn't it? And beyond any ET in a higher court, wouldn't the same apply?

If a Judge decides something in one case, then that is applied to other cases, statute is open to interpretation, Judges interpretation is then allowed to be used in similar circumstances for other cases. Furthermore statute is not going to be all encompassing and so the grey areas are often interpreted by Judges and their decision effectively becomes statute in similar incidents.

ETs don't always have Judges on them, but beyond ETs, in Employment Appeals Tribunals, Court of Appeal etc. there is usually Judge or Judges.

If a Judge decides something in one case, then that is applied to other cases, statute is open to interpretation, Judges interpretation is then allowed to be used in similar circumstances for other cases. Furthermore statute is not going to be all encompassing and so the grey areas are often interpreted by Judges and their decision effectively becomes statute in similar incidents.

ETs don't always have Judges on them, but beyond ETs, in Employment Appeals Tribunals, Court of Appeal etc. there is usually Judge or Judges.

Seriously, where are getting this all from? ETs are heard by a lawyer with speciality in the field. Like lots of lower level criminal cases for that matter. He or she is referred to as the Judge. They will be joined by a lay person from a trade union and from business in some cases, usually where discrimination is an issue. Cases are heard on their merits without reference to previous case history in ETs. Case history from the very small number of cases that have been to higher courts sets a few benchmarks for how the cases go. So a ruling in a higher court or Europe would set a precedent but something in ET doesn't. I'm here all week.

Seriously, where are getting this all from? ETs are heard by a lawyer with speciality in the field. Like lots of lower level criminal cases for that matter. He or she is referred to as the Judge. They will be joined by a lay person from a trade union and from business in some cases, usually where discrimination is an issue. Cases are heard on their merits without reference to previous case history in ETs. Case history from the very small number of cases that have been to higher courts sets a few benchmarks for how the cases go. So a ruling in a higher court or Europe would set a precedent but something in ET doesn't. I'm here all week.

No only qualified Judges (and their deputies) are referred to as Judges in ET cases, lawyers are known as the chair. Lots and lots of Employment cases go beyond ET, some even start in the High Court, and their decisions are applicable to ET cases, otherwise, ET transcripts wouldn't run into the 20 pages that most do. It is all a series of precendets, a European ruling has precendence over a Supreme Court ruling, which in turn has precendence over a decision made in the House of Lords, which has precendence over a decision made in the Court of Appeal, which has precedence made over a decision made in the High Court and a Employment Appeal Tribunal, and they have precedence made over a decision made in an ET.

As to where I get this from, it's how I've been earning money for the past 2 years.