James Wilson

Whilst others are taking most of the plaudits for some recent decent results and rightly so this lad has settled in and is slipping under the radar, for me he has been very steady compliments Lockwood and could be a nice little find, was a little wary about his number of starts before he came to us but he looks a good player at this level has a nice touch a bit of pace and looks a good uncomplicated player, dont know who would be keeping him out of Bristols team but there loss is our gain.

They look good enough as a partnership. There were times on Saturday where Lockwood was being outpaced but he gets his frame in the way just as the attacker is going past to slow them down/divert them away and Wilson used his pace to get back and mop up.

Likewise when one of their lads got past Wilson, Lockwood was often laying in wait to stop them.

Most of Gillingham's chances came from the flanks and not down the middle. They were restricted to long range efforts when attacking down the middle.

It may be that the whole is better than the sum of the parts with Lockwood/Wilson together but that's great for us and long may it continue.

On sunday morning a conversation with my dad went like this:

"so far has Jon Stead made us a better team?"

"No, not really"

"Has losing Tarky made us much worse of a team?"

"No - these 2 are doing alright for me"

"Wilson just defends, I'll take that. He is better than I expected him to be after reading reports on him"

- Im happy with him. It's early days, but he is doing a good job for me.

Edited by pukka

agree thats how I see it pukka, was a little apprehensive as I thought the two may be suseptible to a little pace but as time goes on they could prove to be a nice little partnership, defenders who defend may allow wes or korey a bit of freedom to push on and support our attacks.

My first sight of them on Saturday, I'd say they are a decent pair for the level. Neither are Tarky/Mellor style ball players but we've moved on from their with going long from GKs anyway. Let's not overlook they can both play more than Big John who many liked for one aspect of his defensive game

I think Wilson is solid nothing more , nothing less . For a league one centre half he has a good turn of pace that gets him out of tricky situations . Average distribution .

Whilst the Lockwood / Wilson has not yielded many goals against , we miss a tarky and/or grounds bringing the ball out from the back and opening the pitch up .