Trouble at today's game

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe me the police have their hands tied and these so called fans knew it, although it was good to see the supposed fan from Preston ejected by the police officers. The stewards are not trained enough to deal with public order situations and lots of them are too old in the first place. Still I agree that some of the Preston fans should have been thrown out as they were refusing to sit down and were taunting the Oldham fans throughout the match with obscenities, with no steward making a move to stop them..

[quote name="OLDHAM4ALWAYS" Still I agree that some of the Preston fans should have been thrown out as they were refusing to sit down and were taunting the Oldham fans throughout the match with obscenities, with no steward making a move to stop them..

Isnt this exactly what we do when we take a large following against a local team.

Bury last year, Dale and Hudds etc. All games where fans stand and taunt the opposition. Nothing wrong with that at all. It goes on every week across the leagues.

Its miles away from fans fighting each other after a game

Believe me the police have their hands tied and these so called fans knew it, although it was good to see the supposed fan from Preston ejected by the police officers. The stewards are not trained enough to deal with public order situations and lots of them are too old in the first place. Still I agree that some of the Preston fans should have been thrown out as they were refusing to sit down and were taunting the Oldham fans throughout the match with obscenities, with no steward making a move to stop them..

Good grief

Obviously there was some idiots amongst them, as with most away followings, but I thought they were top class in the ground, loudest I've seen in a while.

Reminded me of when we had away days like that, rather than 6 pointers at Crewe to look forward to!

Obviously there was some idiots amongst them, as with most away followings, but I thought they were top class in the ground, loudest I've seen in a while.

Reminded me of when we had away days like that, rather than 6 pointers at Crewe to look forward to!

What like the 6 pointer at Bury last season? Or the two trips to Anfield, or the two trips to Everton?

What like the 6 pointer at Bury last season? Or the two trips to Anfield, or the two trips to Everton?

I'm talking about league followings.

That was my point, end of season 6 pointers are standard now, they weren't a few seasons ago!

I'm talking about league followings.

That was my point, end of season 6 pointers are standard now, they weren't a few seasons ago!

The last season we didn't have a 6 pointer at this stage is 2007/8 (Shez's 2nd season- the year we beat Everton). We had some promotion 6 pointers the year after, and relegation 6 pointers every season since, some at home though.

I thought the same walking across the car park while they had stayed behind still singing, still cheering their team.

I can't remember being envious of another teams fans before but us having that again seems so far away.

I thought they were far quieter than other clubs who've brought similar numbers in the past though.

Also, we'd have taken as many to them were we in their position - quite poor that they couldn't fill it.

sorry but they had 3500 at least in there and we wouldnt take that there for a league game wherever we were in the league, if we were up there it would be around 2000 but those days are long gone. the figure given by the club on saturday was a joke tbh.

sorry but they had 3500 at least in there and we wouldnt take that there for a league game wherever we were in the league,

We've taken similar numbers to that, sometimes more, to big games in the recent past.

Why would it be any different now?

Edited by HarryBosch

at anfield and goodison agreed but 3 or 4 in a league game wont happen again if we go down which i think we will and have an okay start we might take a few away but most would be 2000 for a local derby.

If we're top 6 playing local (or even not so local) opposition and they could accomodate us we'd take that. Even if we did go down - even Rochdale took 2k+ to Bury the other night.

If we're top 6 playing local (or even not so local) opposition and they could accomodate us we'd take that. Even if we did go down - even Rochdale took 2k+ to Bury the other night.

Dale didn't take as many as we did, but they got the bigger end. So much for the much vaunted intelligence, complied by those yet to be determined, put forward as an excuse.

But like you say if we were top 6 we'd take that to our nearest away game easily. We were only a few hundred short of taking that to Bury last season, when we were bottom 6.

FWIW I think they spread themselves out a bit when they and the coppers realised they could, thus making the quoted figure more accurate than some have been claiming.

Edited by rudemedic

at anfield and goodison agreed but 3 or 4 in a league game wont happen again if we go down which i think we will and have an okay start we might take a few away but most would be 2000 for a local derby.

Look at some of our followings to local rivals when Shez was in charge, they were class because we were a good team. Now we rave about taking 700 to a game an hour away.....

Edited by OAFC_Ryan

What makes you think the figure was a joke? Even with the Small section open there was still empty seats in the RRE.

Coming out fo the Chaddy end, I noticed some of the Oldham hoolis walking up sheepfoot lane, and warned my brother it was about to kick off. We followed for a good 5 minutes up the road, saw it 'kick off' (8 men shouting loudly at each other with one punch thrown at a relitively ar old man) for 5 minutes, and then the police appeared. Where do they find these intelligence officers? Cos they are thick as pig :censored:. The cops then marched the Oldham fans away whilst numerous PNE fans of hooli looking nature 'mobbed up' behind the police. pretty embarassing the whole thing if Im honest, but the police were a joke!