Latics v Crawley: highlights thread

Football League Show on iPlayer at 57 mins:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03zjtwd

Worth keeping on for the poorly rehearsed chat about Corney at the end of that segment.

Strange coverage of Sheffield United making them out to be serious challengers when they need little short of a miracle to make the play-offs.

Sad moment seeing the terrace at London Road has now vanished.

LP Audio Highlights:

If anyone would like to hear the LP commentary of our 9 pass goal and Mike and Roy's final whistle reaction + more of Crawley's manager, Gregory, feeling hurt and low :) then drop me a PM with your email address for the 3min 30 sec 3Mb mp3.

Even though this is a bit shorter than normal, it is still longer than the 10 seconds we got on FLS. Plus the chat at the end which I'm trying to put down to some dodgy cheese it was that inane.

What's up with the condition of the playing surface in front of the Main Stand? Looks much worse than the rest of the pitch.

What's up with the condition of the playing surface in front of the Main Stand? Looks much worse than the rest of the pitch.

It doesn't get the sun, when we've had games postponed for frozen pitches in the past it has been that section of the pitch which has been problematic and usually the cause of the postponement.

I think that's about the worst I've seen the condition of the pitch in about a decade.

Did you go ? the pitch is in great nick one of the best in the division, torrential rain before and during the game left certain areas with some standing water but the pitch is playing very well, sooner they can build a lower roofed stand on sheepfoot lane the better imo, it would allow the sun onto the touchline nearest the dugouts which has been mentioned is a problem area to manage.

Did you go ? the pitch is in great nick one of the best in the division, torrential rain before and during the game left certain areas with some standing water but the pitch is playing very well, sooner they can build a lower roofed stand on sheepfoot lane the better imo, it would allow the sun onto the touchline nearest the dugouts which has been mentioned is a problem area to manage.

I didn't. I'm only going off the clip, so I may well be wrong, but that area of the pitch looks muddy and uneven, even as the players are heading onto the pitch, when there doesn't appear to be any standing water.

I suppose no stand on the opposite side probably doesn't help - still getting no sunlight but also far more exposed than when the Lookers was there.

I didn't. I'm only going off the clip, so I may well be wrong, but that area of the pitch looks muddy and uneven, even as the players are heading onto the pitch, when there doesn't appear to be any standing water.

I suppose no stand on the opposite side probably doesn't help - still getting no sunlight but also far more exposed than when the Lookers was there.

I think it looked far worse than it actually was due to the deluge that it went through before the match and during the first half. Every match I've been to the ball runs pretty true around that area so it's a bit of a pat on the back to the groundsman who's provided an excellent pitch compared to others like Charlton and Blackpool.

Not that it does us the remotest bit of good like.

Thinking about it, the state of the pitch on the Main Stand Side, could be advantageous for us. As we traditionally attack the RRE first half, so getting the ball to Harkins, on the left (and therefore better pitch conditions) in the first half allows him to be more confident of the run of the ball. But in the second half, when Harkins' defensive frailties will in theory become more apparent, our left is the Main Stand side so the opposition are less sure of the run of the ball, allowing better defensive cover.

Furthermore, we know what the pitch is like and so can use this knowledge to better prepare us, the opposition will be less sure. Especially as the pitch will have worsened just because of the heavy rain on it on Saturday.

The amount of rain that fell in that first half was pretty dramatic.

The pitch has been superb all season, but over the last few weeks there have been signs of deterioration in the penalty areas and along the length of the main stand on that side.

The deluge certainly made it worse on Saturday but given the conditions I thought it held up well.

LP Audio Highlights:

If anyone would like to hear the LP commentary of our 9 pass goal and Mike and Roy's final whistle reaction + more of Crawley's manager, Gregory, feeling hurt and low :) then drop me a PM with your email address for the 3min 30 sec 3Mb mp3.

For those with LP, you can hear this goal commentary during the 12min extended highlights that are now on Player.