Latics 1-1 Notts County: post match reaction (Tranmere relegation special edition)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 unbeaten you miserable sods to end the season on a high. We've got something to look forward to with new stand and a gaffer with a long tough season experience under him where he will have learnt a hell of a lot.

Pitch invasions are :censored:ing embarrassing though.

10 unbeaten you miserable sods to end the season on a high. We've got something to look forward to with new stand and a gaffer with a long tough season experience under him where he will have learnt a hell of a lot.

Kids on the pitch, we all did it, no harm done.

Sorry did not feel like a 'High' to me. County should have been dead and buried before half time.

County were there for the taking. Seemed to me the draw was scripted.

Very poor performance from Latics, even poorer from the Ref.

Not the sort of football to bring the crowds back.

If the manager plays that formation at home next season nothing will change no matter who he drafts in.

I just can't understand LJs thinking on this, against Notts County had the chance to play 2 strikers but didn't, Clarke- Harris looks fed up with the lone front runner role and Philliskirk is a virtual nonentity in midfield.

Wilson, Brown and Rachubka did well again today I thought.

If the manager plays that formation at home next season nothing will change no matter who he drafts in.

I just can't understand LJs thinking on this, against Notts County had the chance to play 2 strikers but didn't, Clarke- Harris looks fed up with the lone front runner role and Philliskirk is a virtual nonentity in midfield.

Wilson, Brown and Rachubka did well again today I thought.

This

You must be high If you are happy with low scoring draws at home.

Edited by BP1960

Let's get things right one at a time.

This unbeaten run and steadying of the ship in the past two months will hold us in good stead going into the next season.

Yes, we need goals and a bit more creativity, it's up to LJ now to build on this in pre season.

No point in complaining, we've done what we need to stay up.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Yep. Sun was out, beer in Chaddy End, Decent game, great atmosphere, passionate fans, a result that mattered to County, sending Tranmere down, a penalty not given, a penalty given, a red card anf and a :censored: ref to moan at, a good send off for the players, a good payday for the club.

Beats fighting past 20 people in the cheese aisle of Asda on a Saturday afternoon

Some of you take life and football far too seriously.

Edited by keep_the_faith

Disagree that it was a massively bad performance, quite a few chances made - just need someone on the end of them! Consistent striker could see us top 10. Personally feeling optimistic now, new stand looks fantastic, atmosphere was great, onwards and upwards!

Disagree that it was a massively bad performance, quite a few chances made - just need someone on the end of them! Consistent striker could see us top 10. Personally feeling optimistic now, new stand looks fantastic, atmosphere was great, onwards and upwards!

Not 'massively bad' poor. As you say quite a few chance created. County were poor and should have been buried.

I pay my money to see my team play to win. I did not see that today.

The bigger picture is quite rosy. The fact remains we are so dull at home. Feel like I'm watching the same game on a loop. Competitive, resolute, but NO CUTTING EDGE. The subs he made were baffling.

Of our 'front three' Thought JCH had a cracking game, but was so isolated he got no reward for his flicks, headers, an hold up play.

Worral. Jury is out for me, think I saw one cross? Doesn't look like he can beat a man, but at the very least puts himself about.

Harkins. . I'm sorry but I don't see him as a winger. Obviously very technically gifted. An he does try. ( which for his type of player, is a pleasant surprise) but he is so slow it's scary. He doesn't effect the game anywhere nearly enough. which for his technical ability is a crime.

Quick wingers are what we need if he wants to play that system at home.

I'm not taking anything away from LJ's tactics for the last 9 games. He has found a solution and a settled side that performed admirably with backs against the wall, epitomised by the steady Lockwood. However, this can't be the future and I don't think that you can enter a new season with a brand of football like the one we have produced over the last 2 months.

Today LJ had the opportunity to play our own players and use an attacking, exciting brand of football which final days of the season (once safe) is all about. DP was ineffective once again in a deep role and I pray we haven't given him a two-year deal to play in a static midfield role; how Wes is the more advanced of the two is beyond me. JCH deserves so much credit this season for knuckling down and improving; surely a partner to play alongside would have been a better approach today. Worrall is a player who I just see as a hardworking midfielder and we simply need more creativity and ability out wide - Connor Brown looked the bigger threat on the right today. It was a perfect opportunity to play Winchester wide right today and if Kissock has a chance of a contract play him. Surely if LJ wants Worrall (and I hope he doesn't) he already knows what he can produce. As for the brain fart Lockwood had in that 2nd half - what on earth was he playing at? He is lucky most games that the officials allow his hands and arms approach to go unpunished, but he spolit the last 20mins for a ludicrous hauling down 35 yards from goal, having been given a yellow for arguing against a nailed on penalty. Wilson sweeps up fantastically and has been for me the best performer during the run (alongside Rachubka - excellent today), personally I would like Wilson to be partnered by someone other than Lockwood next season. I know that will not be a popular opinion, but I think he would be left hopelessly exposed in any sort of expansive style of play; with him I worry it will be 46 games of 1-0's, 0-1's, 1-1's and 0-0's next season.

It's been an acceptable first season for LJ. I hope he has learnt a lot from the tinkerman approach (40 players?), but really want him to remember his initial meeting and the style of play he brought into this season and finds a balance to take into 2014/15. We have not scored 2 at home, barring the anomaly against Posh, since the end of November and simply haven't looked like doing so. It can be no coincidence that LJ's Latics in 2013/14 have failed to go 2-0 up in any league game all season long, without ever really going after teams. Lets hope this changes.

Keep the Faith!

Edited by eyres_28

I'm not taking anything away from LJ's tactics for the last 9 games. He has found a solution and a settled side that performed admirably with backs against the wall, epitomised by the steady Lockwood. However, this can't be the future and I don't think that you can enter a new season with a brand of football like the one we have produced over the last 2 months.

Today LJ had the opportunity to play our own players and play an attacking, exciting brand of football which final days of the season (once safe) is all about. DP was ineffective once again in a deep role and I pray we haven't given him a two-year deal to play in a static midfield role; how Wes is the more advanced of the two is beyond me. JCH deserves so much credit this season for knuckling down and improving; surely a partner to play alongside would have been a better approach today. Worrall is a player who I just see as a hardworking midfielder and we simply need more creativity and ability out wide - Connor Brown looked the bigger threat on the right today. It was a perfect opportunity to play Winchester wide right today and if Kissock has a chance of a contract play him. Surely if LJ wants Worrall (and I hope he doesn't) he already knows what he can produce. As for the brain fart Lockwood had in that 2nd half - what on earth was he playing at? He is lucky most games that the officials allow his hands and arms approach to go unpunished, but he spolit the last 20mins for a ludicrous hauling down 35 yards from goal, having been given a yellow for arguing against a nailed on penalty.

It's been an acceptable first season for LJ. I hope he has learnt a lot from the tinkerman approach (40 players?), but really want him to remember his initial meeting and the style of play he brought into this season and finds a balance to take into 2014/15. We have not scored 2 at home, barring the anomaly against Posh, since the end of November and simply haven't looked like doing so. It can be no coincidence that LJ's Latics in 2013/14 have failed to go 2-0 up in any league game all season long, without ever really going after teams. Lets hope this changes.

Keep the Faith!

Top post. Totally agree.

He has found a solution and a settled side that performed admirably with backs against the wall, epitomised by the steady Lockwood. However, this can't be the future and I don't think that you can enter a new season with a brand of football like the one we have produced over the last 2 months.

Completely disagree. We have 16 points from the last 10 games, if we play like that at the start of the season and get the same return, I for one will be very happy.

Personally I want us to sign some pace on the wings to get round the back, but keep the system, as johnson has got it steady and working. (Assuming we keep the basis of it)

Edited by pukka

Today LJ had the opportunity to play our own players and use an attacking, exciting brand of football which final days of the season (once safe) is all about. DP was ineffective once again in a deep role and I pray we haven't given him a two-year deal to play in a static midfield role; how Wes is the more advanced of the two is beyond me. JCH deserves so much credit this season for knuckling down and improving; surely a partner to play alongside would have been a better approach today. Worrall is a player who I just see as a hardworking midfielder and we simply need more creativity and ability out wide - Connor Brown looked the bigger threat on the right today. It was a perfect opportunity to play Winchester wide right today and if Kissock has a chance of a contract play him. Surely if LJ wants Worrall (and I hope he doesn't) he already knows what he can produce. As for the brain fart Lockwood had in that 2nd half - what on earth was he playing at? He is lucky most games that the officials allow his hands and arms approach to go unpunished, but he spolit the last 20mins for a ludicrous hauling down 35 yards from goal, having been given a yellow for arguing against a nailed on penalty. Wilson sweeps up fantastically and has been for me the best performer during the run (alongside Rachubka - excellent today), personally I would like Wilson to be partnered by someone other than Lockwood next season. I know that will not be a popular opinion, but I think he would be left hopelessly exposed in any sort of expansive style of play; with him I worry it will be 46 games of 1-0's, 0-1's, 1-1's and 0-0's next season.

Keep the Faith!

I think that's quite a fair & balanced post.

I hope LJ has learned a lot this season, and you're 100% correct IMO in that he now needs to find a balance between home and away games.

We have this solid and resolute tactic and formation; that looks very dependable and should be solid platform to build on moving forward.

LJ just now needs to find a way of making it work at home, to allow a bit more flow, fluidity and creativity to hopefully mean more goals.

The platform is there, its whether it can be built upon now...

Completely disagree. We have 16 points from the last 10 games, if we play like that at the start of the season and get the same return, I for one will be very happy.

Personally I want us to sign some pace on the wings to get round the back, but keep the system, as johnson has got it steady and working. (Assuming we keep the basis of it)

This system he has been playing recently has caught a few teams on the hop, if he continues with it next season opposition managers will know what to expect and counter it, you have to be one step ahead in this game and not remain static tactically.

This system he has been playing recently has caught a few teams on the hop, if he continues with it next season opposition managers will know what to expect and counter it, you have to be one step ahead in this game and not remain static tactically.

Agreed, but surely you start with something you know is working and adapt thereafter?

Plus with added pace on the flanks it could be different again.

Edited by pukka

Agreed, but surely you start with something you know is working and adapt thereafter?

Plus with added pace on the flanks it could be different again.

Ironically, he had that early season, but not LJs fault they are no longer here.

Dayton has been a big disappointment and Worrall not quick enough, any chance of Campbell-Ryce, he's out of contract?

Edited by BP1960