LOTW - 21/6/07 - Ian Marshall

Stevie_J

lotwmarshalllv2.jpg

Welcome to the thirteenth Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's the mulleted defender-turned-striker, Ian Marshall.

We're looking for you, our members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

Ian Marshall was a real maverick character. Anyone who had a hairstyle like his didn't give a damn! He was one of the stars of the 'pinch me season' and the glory years. When the team was given a civic reception after the Littlewoods Cup Final, he took over the microphone on the balcony at the Civic Centre, after drinking beer all the way round the town in the open top bus. I can't tell you what he said as it was just a series of drunken ramblings - classic!

When the players were warming up before games at BP, Ian just made a token gesture to slightly stretch his legs. He was more intent on shooting in. From the banter that went on I was convinced that he had a bet each week with Rick Holden and Neil Adams as to who could score most in the warm-up.

He was a defender who thought he was a striker and he proved it by scoring nearly 50 goals for Latics in 200 games. Joe Royle preferred him to play in defence and after selling him to Ipswich, Ian returned with his new team in the opening game of the following season. Naturally he scored and he ran along the main stand touchline to the dugout and wagged his finger at Joe Royle.

Thanks Ian for the great memories.

The worst haircut on record but as Diego says, he clearly didn't give a chuff. Wouldn't be what you would call a natural striker but seemed to have the handy knack of being in the right place at the right time. Good in the air with a shot like a Howitzer.

No. 1 memory for me? Marshall's 40-yard daisy cutter against Notts County, 90-91 season?

He was a defender who thought he was a striker and he proved it by scoring nearly 50 goals for Latics in 200 games. Joe Royle preferred him to play in defence and after selling him to Ipswich, Ian returned with his new team in the opening game of the following season. Naturally he scored and he ran along the main stand touchline to the dugout and wagged his finger at Joe Royle.

Didn't he actually score a hat-trick that day Diego?

I bumped into him when he was seeing out the end of his career with the Lashers. I was on a works do at the Imperial Hotel and when I went down for breakfast in the morning there was the mulletted one sat on his own tucking into the mother of all full English Breakfast's, I've never seen such a plate full. So I asked him "Not playing today then Ian?" he looked at me rather perplexed and said (in his high pitched squeeky voice) "Yeah." :lol:

Will always be remebered by myself for the goals at Wolves away in what was probably one of the best Latics games I've been to.

I remember as a kid meeting him and his wife when they went looking for a new carpet in the shop on Rochadale road near Warburtons. Saw him in there a few times as thats where I lived. Proper legend.

I remember as a kid meeting him and his wife when they went looking for a new carpet in the shop on Rochadale road near Warburtons. Saw him in there a few times as thats where I lived. Proper legend.

You lived in a carpet shop?

Will always be remebered by myself for the goals at Wolves away in what was probably one of the best Latics games I've been to.

Was mentioned on another thread, but still the greatest latics moment ever committed to video was the interview with Ian Marshall after this game... when he had banged in thre goals from about 40 yards, and we won 3-2 in the FIRST game of the season... (some may argue, but it still makes me laugh to this day...)

Interviewer. "So Ian, what has been the best goal you have scored this season..?"

Marshall *in his stupid camp high pitched voice* "oh, I dunno - theres been so many!...."

"as he starts to laugh at his own joke, you can hear stitch and a couple of others in the background shouting "w**ker" and "long haired pooof!"

Brilliant...

Favourite goal - another of his trademark 25 yard grasscutters in the 6-1 against West Ham - awesome....

He used to live on Norwood Close in Shaw. One November we went cob coaling there (from memory it was the only house we went too, we were a bit old to be doing it by then but wanted to go because it was his house). He was a jolly chap and chucked us a quid and told us "Not to spend it on ciggys". In 99 when I was looking at buying a house the house was up for sale (obviously not owned by him then) and I viewed it and seriously considered buying it just because Ian Marshall used to live there (even though the house wasn't particularly suitable and too near my parents).

He was a true legend and a hero for me.