Weak mindset

According to the manager;

Johnson said: "It was a disappointing night for us, no doubt. It's fair to say we were out-fought, out-thought and out-energised.

"It's understandable because you have to look at the two clubs and see where we are, but I hoped we would put up more of a fight.

"We didn't compete well enough in the first 20 minutes and that really set the tone.

"We tried to get the ball down after half-time, but it was men against boys and we didn't do enough to test their keeper.

"That's a worry in some ways and I was disappointed in one or two players who showed a weak mindset, but you've got to remember we were playing a very good Championship side.

"In our league, we won't come up against any team who are anything like as good as Middlesbrough, so some of our younger lads will learn a lot from this experience."

According to the manager;

Johnson said: "It was a disappointing night for us, no doubt. It's fair to say we were out-fought, out-thought and out-energised.

"It's understandable because you have to look at the two clubs and see where we are, but I hoped we would put up more of a fight.

"We didn't compete well enough in the first 20 minutes and that really set the tone.

"We tried to get the ball down after half-time, but it was men against boys and we didn't do enough to test their keeper.

"That's a worry in some ways and I was disappointed in one or two players who showed a weak mindset, but you've got to remember we were playing a very good Championship side.

"In our league, we won't come up against any team who are anything like as good as Middlesbrough, so some of our younger lads will learn a lot from this experience."

This is an honest and accurate appraisal and hopefully the squad and the management team will move quickly to put things right .

We started slowly on Saturday and by all accounts did the same last night. The 'weak mindset' ? I wonder if he is referring to Mellor and Gros?

Let's hope the Forte injury is sufficiently healed and allows him to start on Saturday. Also - where was Jones last night? Is he injured?The biggest disappointment for me so far this season is the early form of Mills.

Bring on Leyton Orient - a tough game in store methinks.

I would think Mellor's time with the first team is growing increasingly limited. I Don't think he has the mental strength to cut it at this level. Too easily beaten, too slow to react to danger, can't think of any quality passes. I always try and give younger players the time of day, like Winchester, who is looking better with every game he plays, but I think Mellor needs time elsewhere to see if he can cut it.

Philliskirk is also one who needa to show more.he was very fortunate not to be taken off at half time and his second half performance was IMO no better.

Far from handling JCH with kid gloves he needs to told he has to impose himself more on defenders or he wont be in the team.

Edited by BP1960

Honest enough assessment from the gaffer that IMO.

You'd be able to level back at him that the poor first 20minutes where we didnt compete and didnt get anywhere near the ball was down to his poor tactics and formation though wouldnt you?

Yes, the players have to take a huge amount of the blame; as once on the pitch, they should be performing to higher levels than they showed last night.

But - i really dont think they were helped by our 5-3-2 starting formation. LJ and TW clearly admitted the mistake as the changed it to 4-4-2 oncethey saw it was a cluster:censored:.

Weak mindset?

I'd say there are more than a few contenders from last night.

I agree with BP on Philliskirk. Wonder what the heck has gone on there with him; he's a shadow of the player who rocked up at the start of last season. Back then, he took care of the ball; kept it pretty simple whilst linking play and got into; and then finished chances. Now? Poor first touch, stray passes all over the show, movement that doesnt trouble and easily muscled off the ball.

Again, benifit of the doubt here with him, hopefully its match fitness and once that gets up to speed, we see the player he was?

David Mellor looked way off it last night, and i'm pretty sure he's one of the ones being refered to by LJ.

Kelly was pretty darn awful last night. In his own game; and in his role as on the pitch captain. I would hope he'd also on that list.

JCH, Mills, Connor Brown.....they'd also be contenders for that weak mindset from last night too surely?

Hope its a kick up the bum and we see improvement on Saturday?!?!?!?

Philliskirk is also one who needa to show more.he was very fortunate not to be taken off at half time and his second half performance was IMO no better.

He's almost TOO neat & tidy.

Every time he gets the ball he has to take a turn.

He's had this coached into him by better coaches than ours but, why not NOT take that extra touch after 30 minutes when his marker's now expecting it? Knock it past a man or play a team mate in first time? Or try to score?

Maybe he's too clever for his team mates as was suggested to me last night?

He's almost TOO neat & tidy.

Every time he gets the ball he has to take a turn.

He's had this coached into him by better coaches than ours but, why not NOT take that extra touch after 30 minutes when his marker's now expecting it? Knock it past a man or play a team mate in first time? Or try to score?

Maybe he's too clever for his team mates as was suggested to me last night?

I thought he was too weak Harry, and on one occasion gave up chasing back when he had a chance of retrieving the ball, no manager likes to see that.

10 goals before Christmas last season, since when it seems like he's been played in every position except goalkeeper, bizarre.

Sometimes ordinary players score goals from good assists, at present it's hard to see where the assists will come from.

10 goals before Christmas last season, since when it seems like he's been played in every position except goalkeeper, bizarre.

the vast majority in the jpt only scored 4 in the league he was bad all season in my opinion most clubs treat the jpt like premier league clubs treat the league cup and field weakened sides

Honest enough assessment from the gaffer that IMO.

You'd be able to level back at him that the poor first 20 minutes where we didnt compete and didnt get anywhere near the ball was down to his poor tactics and formation though wouldnt you?

Yes, the players have to take a huge amount of the blame; as once on the pitch, they should be performing to higher levels than they showed last night.

But - i really dont think they were helped by our 5-3-2 starting formation. LJ and TW clearly admitted the mistake as the changed it to 4-4-2 oncethey saw it was a cluster:censored:.

Weak mindset?

I'd say there are more than a few contenders from last night.

I agree with BP on Philliskirk. Wonder what the heck has gone on there with him; he's a shadow of the player who rocked up at the start of last season. Back then, he took care of the ball; kept it pretty simple whilst linking play and got into; and then finished chances. Now? Poor first touch, stray passes all over the show, movement that doesnt trouble and easily muscled off the ball.

Again, benifit of the doubt here with him, hopefully its match fitness and once that gets up to speed, we see the player he was?

David Mellor looked way off it last night, and i'm pretty sure he's one of the ones being refered to by LJ.

Kelly was pretty darn awful last night. In his own game; and in his role as on the pitch captain. I would hope he'd also on that list.

JCH, Mills, Connor Brown.....they'd also be contenders for that weak mindset from last night too surely?

Hope its a kick up the bum and we see improvement on Saturday?!?!?!?

Sly,

I often find myself agreeing with your posts as to be honest I think you talk more sense than the vast majority on here, but for some reason you seem to have a downer on Connor Brown. Ive only noticed it as Ive often thought... "I agree there, but without the connor brown point"

Brown came on at 3 down last night, out of position. I don't know where you get the weak mindset idea from last night. There were at least 7 contenders before him last night. Not least the captain (it's early days with him against a good side though)

This isn't a dig, as I say I agree with you a lot of the time. Im just interested to know why you don't seem to rate connor. Personally I think he has come on leaps and bounds...and he'd be in before Wilson.

Edited by pukka

the vast majority in the jpt only scored 4 in the league he was bad all season in my opinion most clubs treat the jpt like premier league clubs treat the league cup and field weakened sides

Clarke-Harris only got 6 in the league playing up front the whole time but seems to be immune from scrutiny, seemingly based him being a bit of a 'lad'

Philliskirk can play, we've seen that, always seems to the one being shoved out of position cos he can 'do a job'

Clarke-Harris only got 6 in the league playing up front the whole time but seems to be immune from scrutiny, seemingly based him being a bit of a 'lad'

Philliskirk can play, we've seen that, always seems to the one being shoved out of position cos he can 'do a job'

Is it time to stop wrapping Clarke-Harris in cotton wool and tell him to step up to the mark in every game?

Sometimes ordinary players score goals from good assists, at present it's hard to see where the assists will come from.

^this

Look at Rotherham last season, Alex Ravell for years has been an unremarkable lower league journeyman but playing in front of their midfield he bagged 13 goals which helped them get promotion last season.

I still think we would have got more out of Adam Rooney if he played with a winger or midfielder who would consistently deliver a decent cross. If Dayton was encouraged to cross the ball rather than take an extra touch we might do alright, otherwise we're relying soley on Mills when it comes to crosses and he wasn't in the game much on Saturday.

^this

Look at Rotherham last season, Alex Ravell for years has been an unremarkable lower league journeyman but playing in front of their midfield he bagged 13 goals which helped them get promotion last season.

I still think we would have got more out of Adam Rooney if he played with a winger or midfielder who would consistently deliver a decent cross. If Dayton was encouraged to cross the ball rather than take an extra touch we might do alright, otherwise we're relying soley on Mills when it comes to crosses and he wasn't in the game much on Saturday.

I would have thought Tommy Wright would have insisted on this from his wide men, after all he used put over some wicked crosses himself.

Edited by BP1960

Sly,

I often find myself agreeing with your posts as to be honest I think you talk more sense than the vast majority on here, but for some reason you seem to have a downer on Connor Brown. Ive only noticed it as Ive often thought... "I agree there, but without the connor brown point"

Brown came on at 3 down last night, out of position. I don't know where you get the weak mindset idea from last night. There were at least 7 contenders before him last night. Not least the captain (it's early days with him against a good side though)

This isn't a dig, as I say I agree with you a lot of the time. Im just interested to know why you don't seem to rate connor. Personally I think he has come on leaps and bounds...and he'd be in before Wilson.

He shagged my hamster

Seriously though, i mentioned 6 players in my post, including Kelly as you mention, as well as Brown.

He came on when 3 nil down, yep. He then proceeded to give the ball away, mis-control several balls, shank it out of play and lost a couple of tackles all in his time on the pitch.

Now, i've posted before credit where it's due; he has inproved. But in all honesty, he really needed to. And his improvement was from a really poor starting position as it was.

He usually at least buzzes about. He 9 times out of 10 usually ends up winding up an opposition player or 2 in some way, shape or form; and he usually give everything he has.

IMO, and its just that, he didnt do that on Tuesday night; so thats why i included him in my 6. He was 6th; behind Philliskirk, Mellor, Kelly, JCH & Mills in my list - which; flipping it around, makes him the in top 7 least worst players in the game!!!!!!

There no underiding reason for me posting previous that i dont think he's very good, other than i dont think he's very good. He's improved from when he arrived and as posted previously; i've given him deserved credit for that. It just means though IMO that he's now slightly less :censored: than he used be; rather than improving to be deserving of holding down the starting spot as the best RB at the club.

It's far too early to judge B Wilson though; as it is with any of the new lot. Some ominous signs do seem to be on show for some of them already (cough - Kelly - cough) but - after 2 competitve games? Nah...

My point on Wilson v Brown are to be honest from past performances Id seen of Wilson. Not that he has been a poor full back, just that I haven't seen him offer anything that connor wasn't at the back end of last season. Just slower.

At the end of last season, personally I thought Connor was very good.

I fully expect him to be played on the left and look crap. Which will be down to the manager. The insistance of square pegs in round holds bothers me. Im sick of hearing "he plays a number of positions which is important".

I fear the progress C. Brown has showed is going to be dented.

This thread & the Boro one :lol:

Have I been in a coma and woke up in March?

A first day away point & a League Cup loss to a team who'd beat us 8 or 9 times out of 10 and we've made our minds up about every single player and come to the conclusion that we're doomed. :grin:

Edited by HarryBosch