A blip? The Facts!

Reading some of the threads, fans are saying the likes of "no problem, just a blip, only 2/3 games" etc.

Think you need to step back and consider that we have actually lost 6 games in the last 10 (I'm not bothered if they are cup or league or lost on penalties - these are facts). We`ve only won 2 out of those 10.

That is not a blip!

The slide has been happening for a while - and co-incides exactly with the departure of Paul Murray as first team coach (sorry to repeat that but it's a fact too!)

I bleated on about this last week.

This blip started prior to Yeovil and the supposed bollocking. We've not been the same since Bristol away and losing the unbeaten run. We must've been running on confidence from that streak for ages.

If our ability to bounce back is that weak I worry about how or if we'll ever fully recover from this trio of humiliations. Look at James Wilson last few weeks then think about how solid he was during that unbeaten run...

Edited by NewBlue

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll finish in top half now. I will watch them all the way as I always have but I`m convinced the whole ethos has been upset with Murray's departure (he and LJ got on famously well). Every good manager has a good 'right hand man' and I think Murray was LJ's.

I think there will be some cost cutting now, with players being shipped out (some deservedly so) but with precious little incoming. Can't blame SC - he's backed Latics to the hilt - we simply had to have a good run in December to pull in the floating supporters and build a head of steam for next year. Instead, December has been an unmitigated disaster with 4 defeats on the bounce. We'll be back to absolute square one i.e. hard-core support, no money, loan players and ultimately struggling.

It's a vicious circle and hard to see how it's going to be broken.

I certainly think this is a very worrying period though. We've gone from looking the sharpest we've done for years to looking super fragile and to be truthful, not been able to buy a win. Forget the SOS hand he was dealt when he first arrived, this is probably LJ's biggest test of character. A continuation of recent form through Jan and we'll definitely slide deep into the bottom half.

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll finish in top half now. I will watch them all the way as I always have but I`m convinced the whole ethos has been upset with Murray's departure (he and LJ got on famously well). Every good manager has a good 'right hand man' and I think Murray was LJ's.

I think there will be some cost cutting now, with players being shipped out (some deservedly so) but with precious little incoming. Can't blame SC - he's backed Latics to the hilt - we simply had to have a good run in December to pull in the floating supporters and build a head of steam for next year. Instead, December has been an unmitigated disaster with 4 defeats on the bounce. We'll be back to absolute square one i.e. hard-core support, no money, loan players and ultimately struggling.

It's a vicious circle and hard to see how it's going to be broken.

Some fair point but isn't Tommy Wright his right hand man. He demoted Murray from assistant didn't he?

I'm not saying Murray wasn't playing a part but I suggest you are exaggerating how big his role may been and you are certainly giving the 3rd coach which was essentially his role before left too much credit for our early form

Edited by palmer1

Some fair point but isn't Tommy Wright his right hand man. He demoted Murray from assistant didn't he?

I'm not saying Murray wasn't playing a part but I suggest you are exaggerating how big his role may been and you are certainly giving the 3rd coach which was essentially his role before left too much credit for our early form

If Murray was the 3rd coach how come Holden is now the 1st coach?

The change in Latics' fortunes has been so dramatic, there simply has to be a fundamental reason - and Murray's departure is all I can put my finger on - it is some remarkable co-incidence if it isn't the reason for our decline because the decline certainly co-incides with the date of his departure

typical oldham fans all doom and gloom and told you so...it is worrying the run where on and the manner of the losses,but we have no money,the ground and facilities are crap so fans wont come.johnson has done brilliant with no money..ppl keep saying we need a striker well whos going to come ??who can we afford???its another mid table finish and why should it be any higher with our budget and facilities.

I know what you mean, but why does Tommy do all the tactical shouting from the touchline?..I don't understand what Holden is supposed to be doing that LJ and Tommy can't do ..are the players confused too? As we have no 2nd team isn't Holden's a role not needed and a wage could have been saved after Murray left?

Edited by BP1960

I`ve addressed this before - Tommy Wright is assistant manager - Dean Holden is 1st team coach (replaced Murray on 14/11 - Murray departed just prior to Bristol away).

Murray was reserve team coach, the role no longer applied when the reserves set up was abandoned..LJ and Tommy should have been perfectly able to coach the first team..IMO Holden's appointment wasn't needed, and if anything the situation is now worse..a case of too many cooks.