A blip? The Facts!

No it doesn't but, on a day to day basis, the first team coach will work with the players most, so has a great deal of influence. It's all about 'backroom dynamics' too - surely you've all worked in a place with a 'boss' knowing full well it's the backroom team that actually make the place tick? Each person has a different role to play in the team but, granted, it's hard to work out why Latics need 3 people for one first team

No it doesn't but, on a day to day basis, the first team coach will work with the players most, so has a great deal of influence. It's all about 'backroom dynamics' too - surely you've all worked in a place with a 'boss' knowing full well it's the backroom team that actually make the place tick? Each person has a different role to play in the team but, granted, it's hard to work out why Latics need 3 people for one first team

He's not had much of an influence then.

I wonder who was Big Joe's and Willie Donachie's first team coach, the 3rd man as it was,Latics had a reserve team then too?

Edited by BP1960

If, some might say when, will this be our worst ever performance in December.

Consequences will be no cup money and lower attendances with real problems keeping our best players. The wonders of Financial Fair Play or rather a club that has to balance its budget in any case.

and please someone just answer this then - if my theory for Latics' remarkable deterioration (i.e. Paul Murray leaving) is wrong - then what is the reason for the sudden downturn then please?

Injuries to our captain who had started to become very influential, our only goalscorer (who's only just started to be a goalscorer at the age of 30) has been carrying an injury since he signed and when you add a loss of form that we have nothing up front.

Or maybe teams have just figured out how to play against us.

I cannot accept that one player makes a team - sorry. I do accept that there could be a few reasons combined to cause our catastrophic collapse - I`m still finding it hard to see why people think it's a couple of bad performances - we've not been 'on song' for about the past 10 games or so.

Not knocking L J or the team. BUT in the day of Joe Royle if we were playing against 10 men. The instant their bloke walked off the pitch after being dismissed, Joe would have instantly taken a defender off and replaced him with another forward, and if we had then gone behind (like today) he would have taken another defender off, and put another forward on. Then threw the kitchen sink at them, and it worked lots of times, with the result that we either won the game or salvaged something from it. We have not had a manager since who does anything other than replace like for like when making substitutions. If neither Forte who is our leading scorer, or Philly who has probably been our most consistent player, were not injured, in my opinion they should have stayed on, and been joined by Poleon, and AMS. Surely it would have been better to go down with all guns blazing than for the game just to just fizzle out.

Edited by 100milesaway

For me the most disappointing aspect was our reluctance to commit men forward even against 10 men we tended to fanny around with it taking an age to make any meaningful passes, I also dont get the logic of taking off our best 2 finishers when we need goals, chances were dropping to players Id have preferred Philly or Forte taking them to Brian Wilson and Elokobi.

Edited by Chaddy_Ender

I know what you mean, but why does Tommy do all the tactical shouting from the touchline?..I don't understand what Holden is supposed to be doing that LJ and Tommy can't do ..are the players confused too? As we have no 2nd team isn't Holden's a role not needed and a wage could have been saved after Murray left?

I watched out for this today on the back of posts you've made on previous threads : you may have a point...

Johnson started to tinker from Bristol away onwards. Yesterday was the beginning of a slow recovery. While the second goal was a good one, it helped them that our left back lay injured, I'm sure had mills not been twatted in their area,they wouldn't have scored.

I cannot accept that one player makes a team - sorry. I do accept that there could be a few reasons combined to cause our catastrophic collapse - I`m still finding it hard to see why people think it's a couple of bad performances - we've not been 'on song' for about the past 10 games or so.

But one coach can?

No I'm not - and never have! I worked for a firm once where the 'right hand man' resigned - and the place went to pot for a while. The 'boss' still had influence but the 'right hand man' was clearly the one who had kept things on an even keel. A change of personnel can have a great effect - particularly if that person is held in high esteem with the players - it's only a theory - no need to get upset about it - and I`m still convinced it's playing a major part. If you're not - that's fine.

Not upset just pointing out again that Pasul Murray was not the right hand man. He was demoted due to not being very good\experienced enough in that role.

Results improved when Tommy Wright came in as no.2 or as right hand man if you like, didn't they? What happened to Murrays influence then? Also where was his massive influence on a reserve team that was constantly beaten

So as much as you mention it in several threads I am simply pointing out the massive flaws in your theory. I appreciate you rate PM. Great player for us but he was a steady cooach\ influence at best.

Edited by palmer1

There is no denying the dynamic has changed in the squad and coaching team, of course it could just be coincidence we lost Murray around the same time the team went into freefall, who knows what effect he had without knowing all parties involved, one thing you cant deny is the tinkering thats happened since Holden came in, he must have the managers ear and some of the decisions in selection and tactics have been baffling in recent weeks, could be a case at the moment of too many cooks.

There is no denying the dynamic has changed in the squad and coaching team, of course it could just be coincidence we lost Murray around the same time the team went into freefall, who knows what effect he had without knowing all parties involved, one thing you cant deny is the tinkering thats happened since Holden came in, he must have the managers ear and some of the decisions in selection and tactics have been baffling in recent weeks, could be a case at the moment of too many cooks.

Apologies as I know its like a broken record now but since the subject keeps cropping up I wonder if a problem has been with 2 assistants in effect LJ has become remote from the players, this also occured to me when he asked the players to get things off their chest, indicating they have been bottling things in for a while and he wasn't aware of that.

When he arrived he was very much hands on, bringing in Tommy was a good idea, but surely between them they can manage is what in office terms is a small department.

Paul Murray was originally reserve team assistant, when he left there was no reserve team to manage so it didn't need a replacement, a fox in the box yes, another coach no.

Edited by BP1960