Most frustrating of seasons

When it gets to this time of year it is rare not to be where you deserve in the league table. And that is just about where we are.

The top six by the end of the season usually consists of the best home supported clubs. It’s against the odds and an exceptional achievement for one of the poorer supported clubs to figure in the play-offs.

We consistently struggle get over 4,000 home fans for games at BP – even against the top teams.

The fact that we have remained in the mix for most of the season is an anomaly of statistics/form of clubs in the 6th to 18th zone of the table. At the moment the point’s difference between 6th and 18th is 11. Of course this will almost certainly widen before May but is unlikely to reach the last five year average of 21.2.

The lowest point’s difference in 2009-10 was 15 and the highest in2010-11 was 29. The highest figure is when League 1 featured the following clubs; Norwich, Leeds, Charlton, Southampton, MK Dons, Swindon, Brighton and Huddersfield. And not forgetting Bristol Rovers and Stockport – where are ‘they’ now?

The lowest point’s difference included the following; Charlton, Swindon, Huddersfield, MK Dons, Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday.

Because of our inability to master the bottom clubs (even ‘with’ Johnson) we are average in an average bunch but punching above our average, home support, weight.

There is no rhyme or reason to the results of football matches but over a season the common denominator to who is more likely to poke their head above the rest is core support.

But alas core support is not the be all and end all. The high rollers that have visited L1 over the last 18yrs has been quite extraordinary. It appears core support, high wages and investment is not the be all and end all. Trusting managers and players with your cash is dangerous.

We continue waiting for some luck with a manager who can create a spark and who in turn be lucky with a group of players he is able to improve.

Alternatively a wealthy individual with grand plans above our station who is mesmerised by our obvious (to some) potential would do nicely.

Meanwhile...

Seen him many times as a youth.

What is your opinion on Callum Camps? Supposed to be developing very well for them. Also, saw today that Omar Bogie, who I think you may have mentioned, has attracted interest from the likes of Watford and Sheffield United.

Mad innit.

Yeovil, Crewe and Orient at home will be our end of season regrets.

We played Orient at the wrong time, their squad of highly paid mercenaries who are only in it for the money and journeymen hard-working pros hadn't had time to self-destruct as you often see in squads with such disparity in wages (see QPR).

Crewe and Yeovil on the other hand...

Let's hope Deano's record is better against the bottom 4 than Johnson's was this season, in fact after the win at Crewe it may well be already.

I've skim read most of this on my lunch so apologies if I am repeating others.

For me whilst it is disappointing that we have not made the playoffs I just need to look at the squad list to see the promise this team holds. The squad that went on that unbeaten run earlier in the season is all but in tact. Whilst Keith Hill might want to have a go about using the loan system, if you actually look at the total number of games started by loan players it averages out to 1.3 players per game on loan.

More than others? Yes, but when you consider we have had ten players on loan this season and only one made double figures, I don't think that is excessive.

All ends up, if we keep this squad into next season, and improve on it, then we should be in a similar position. I fully believe the the clubs going up are being replaced by poorer quality clubs coming down.