Shez's Strengths and weaknesses

Young and hungry took us to Anfield and Goodison Park and 5th in the league...

I didn't care much for the Johnson soundbites but always said he did a decent job, improved players, bought a few gems and for a short time last year had us thinking we could go anywhere and win - it only went tits up when he took his eye off the ball.

Jim Bentley would have been my choice but I want nothing more than for Shez to do well.

Sheridan took us to Goodison too.

And won.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't care much for the Johnson soundbites but always said he did a decent job, improved players, bought a few gems and for a short time last year had us thinking we could go anywhere and win - it only went tits up when he took his eye off the ball.

It went tits up after DH arrived.

Jim Bentley would have been my choice but I want nothing more than for Shez to do well.

I don't disagree with anything in that middle paragraph, but that doesn't fit the narrative you've peddled since he left...

Bentley would've been a risk. Another potential John Coleman at Dale. Mark Cooper was my first-choice but like HB says, Sheridan may be what we need at this particular point in time. That said, I can't see that featuring much on Corney's mind - Shez is the easy option and I never expected him to conduct a search.

I've never seen a man more bitter to see a failing manager move on.

What are you hoping for deyres42? To be proved right? It was all the players fault after all and we get relegated?

No bitterness here Declan.

I just tend to think that managers deserve a bit longer than 20 games to prove whether they can do the job or not.

I just tend to think that managers deserve a bit longer than 20 games to prove whether they can do the job or not.

Most prove it within 20 games.

And I include Penney & Dickov in that. More than 20 games unfortunately proved they couldn't do it well enough.

I've never know one to so emphatically prove he couldn't do it in any way whatsoever within 20 games before though......

I would normally agree, but has there been one positive sign in his tenure that he could turn this mess around?

His best result was a 3-3 draw at Gillingham and since then, other than a couple of fortunate victories we have got progressively worse.

He appears to have told a couple of fans how useless the current team is and bemoaned the low budget (which he must have been aware of when took the job) these aren't signs of a man who believes he can keep us up.

20 games is enough time to show progression, and we've seen none whatsoever.