Shez's Strengths and weaknesses

So what are we likely to see in the near future. Clearly survival is the number one aim.

Fair?
Anything to add?

Strengths.
No nonsense
Will give a rocket when needed
Players will respect his record, obviously we don't know about the reality
Has a promotion, and JPT final
He knows the club very well, will settle quickly
Fans will be supportive and give him time
Last moderately successful manager here

Got us into Play offs.

Weaknesses
Reliant on mates. Well possibly certain players might be true.
Dour interviews
Can be tactically out fought
Stubborn
Not so media savvy
Promotion was from League 2
Relegated from this League
Can seem to lose the dressing room
Success has not been maintained
Maybe not so immediately impactful

Edited by singe

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weaknesses

Set pieces seriously does anyone remember the short corners that we used to do.

After 3 years he still hadn't worked out a plan B. If plan A fails he's usually screwed.

Strengths

Will let the players play with freedom should get more out of Carl Winchester for definate.

Will get fans backing making BP a positive place to play and should see some home wins enough of which should lead this awful season to have a happy ending.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Strengths:

Capable of assembling a side with the ability of stringing together remarkable runs of form which result in us being top of the table.

Weaknesses:

Inability to maintain said form for more than a third of the season, resulting in the inevitable implosion and the team degenerating into relegation like form.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Given the situation we find ourselves in, the way I am looking at it is:

Plymouth - took over when they were on the cusp of relegation and kept them up (before finishing 10th and then playoffs)

Newport - took over when they were rock bottom and had 5pts from 30 and has led them out of relegation.

The situation we are in mirrors Plymouth & Newport - so he'll do for me.

Lets worry about whether he can turn us into top of the table material at a later date.

Ps the point I am making is that some people on here think we are about to win 22 on the trot.....let's keep it real

Hardly. :censored: me, if you can't revel in a genuine club legend coming back to BP, we'd have nothing to get excited. It's going to be a close run thing but I fancy our chances more with Shez.

We'll stay up. Make a few signings pre-season. Convince ourselves we'll make the play-offs. Under achieve. Just stay up again. It's a cycle, this is a good part though.

Weaknesses.

Dour interviews - Doesn't really matter as long as we're winning.

Not so media savvy - Disagree. I think he just keeps things behind closed doors (i.e; won't tell anyone that will listen that we only have 2 good players!!)

Promotion was from League 2 - Not a weakness.

Relegated from this League - But also got us into the play-offs.

Maybe not so immediately impactful - There's not much evidence for this.

Hardly. :censored: me, if you can't revel in a genuine club legend coming back to BP, we'd have nothing to get excited. It's going to be a close run thing but I fancy our chances more with Shez.

We'll stay up. Make a few signings pre-season. Convince ourselves we'll make the play-offs. Under achieve. Just stay up again. It's a cycle, this is a good part though.

I totally get Magister's point. But I think the situation is highly likely to pan out like you say!

I'm hopeful with Shez in charge, but realistic. I think it will be a bumpy ride!

But as you have said, I too fancy our chances more with Shez,

Size of budget will determine how successful any new manager will be. When Shez was here last time he had a decent budget and was able to attract good quality players - Richie Wellens, Chris Porter, Andy Liddell, Sean Gregan etc.

3 of those were Ronnie signings.

Shez attracted Gregan, Charlton, Rocastle, Blayney and Luigi Glombard.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Ps Plymouth second richest club in division . Second in league this year without him

I think it's fair to say that he should've got them out of League 2 last season with the budget and players they had, but he did a good job there overall as when he took over they were still recovering from a big financial crisis that very nearly put them out of existence, or at least out of the football league.

He steadied the ship, keeping them up pretty comfortably in his first season despite taking over them in relegation trouble, then getting them top half the following season and finally getting them into the playoffs in his final season. Not a meteoric rise but certainly good progression year on year. Imagine if he managed something similar with us...

Sheridan inherited a good squad from Moore and he got them playing football. Very similar to this one as we know this squad has the potential to be a good one let's hope Shez gets them playing the right way.

The problem with Shez he liked to chop and change and didn't settle on a solid eleven also he loved a loan signing most were very ineffective like Byfield Kabba Molongo and Constantine. However, he was not scared to give youth a chance Like Chris hall, dean Smalley, Neil Trotman. Lewis Alexandrea.

singe, on 12 Jan 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:snapback.png

Weaknesses.

Dour interviews - Doesn't really matter as long as we're winning.

But the point is we will lose, and some performances will be crap. Being measured, we won't go on a amazing 2 month unbeten run. So we will have those. They grated last time, they will again.

Not so media savvy - Disagree. I think he just keeps things behind closed doors (i.e; won't tell anyone that will listen that we only have 2 good players!!)

That is a very low bar! It was unbelieveable what Dunn said, and you are right fortunately he will keep things in house. But he will be blunt and uncompromising. Sometimes that will be welcome, sometimes not.

Promotion was from League 2 - Not a weakness.

I accpet it is not really a weakness, but some are touting it as though it means he will succeed. in this league.

Relegated from this League - But also got us into the play-offs.

Very True and Fair. That needs adding

Maybe not so immediately impactful - There's not much evidence for this.

His record at Newport is:

D L L W W D D D W D D W L D L L

He inherited a poor squad second from bottom and improved them somewhat, very similar to here really.

I didn't say he would would notjust people need to be wary he might not.

He joined them and PLymouth mid season, not quite the comparable as having apre season like he did at Chesterfield.

He lost his first game with Plymouth 4-0! L W D L L D W L L

His early record, even at Chesterfield was L L W W D D W L L

I think our chances of survivial are massively increased with Shez, he's experienced, more savvy than when he was here last. But it is a new group of players, he knew all the sqaud last time. And inherited a better squad.

They say never go back, and he could do a Joe Royle MkII

It will be much more difficult for him. Fingers firmly crossed. He's a good appointment for our level/position.

But I am not getting giddy like some.

Edited by singe