Huddersfield

What about prior to that match?

I didnt ask tbh. It speaks volumes though that it was still the first thing he said when I asked why asians dont come along to bp. We was both about 12years old at the time when this happened and are now mid/late 20's. I think a lot of the older asians will never forget that amd its a culture thing maybe with the next generation we have a chance but their is a lot of work to be done.

I had a convo with an asian lad at work last week about why the asian population of the town dont go and watch latics.

This is what he said.....We all remember the game against Stoke City when afterwards it all went off and was the start of the race riots. He also said that most asians in his area (westwood) follow man utd liverpool etc and most dont class oldham as a professional club. He has agreed to come to a home game with me before the season is out. He reckons that it will be very difficult for the club to tap into oldhams asian population on the whole though.

About 1.5% of the population of the borough of Oldham come to matches.

The 1.5% that stopped coming regularly might come again regularly if we started to do well. Maybe another 2% or more if we got promoted.

Even when we get to the topflight again 11,500 home fans would only represent 5% of the population.

98.5% of Oldhamer's (black, white, male, female, christian, muslim, atheist, rich, poor) don't currently come to matches for numerous reasons. The main reason is that they've never wanted to and never will. Most people aren't interested in football. Most Oldhamer's who are interested in football aren't interested in Oldham.

The same goes for the majority of the country's population and whichever team they live closest to. .

In fact, most Earthlings don't go to football matches.

Let's not (yet again) attach some special significance to the fact that one distinct group of people in Oldham never watch Latics. Most of the people who make up every other distinct group don't either.

Edited by HarryBosch

The 'problem' is much more complex than 'Asians don't go to Latics because football hooligans smashed up Glodwick fifteen years ago'. Oldham still suffers from a lack of racial integration and multiculturalism. There is an acceptance that we share our town with a range of different cultures but there are very clear social and cultural divides.

Edited by pinevillawill

The 'problem' is much more complex than 'Asians don't go to Latics because football hooligans smashed up Glodwick fifteen years ago'. Oldham still suffers from a lack of racial integration and multiculturalism. There is an acceptance that we share our town with a range of different cultures but there are still obvious social and cultural divides.

Not really. The problem is quite simple - more people from all backgrounds in Oldham will come if we're doing well. When we're not they won't.