Huddersfield

Wouldn't get near 5000.

But could add a good number extra on the gates. People in the ground spend money on other things so additional

Income would be generated.

If we finish the season well with Shez there would be a buzz going into next season and if we do it right we can draw back those that have stopped coming. Some kind of incentive after the last 12 months of Over promising and under delivering could be turned round to an extent!

Edited by super_blue

Guest nonaenever

With the awful, low "home" support we get, the club is in a difficult position. None of the deserters over the past few seasons will be interested in a season ticket - full stop. So the only people benefitting will be the loyal current fanbase - who are willing to pay more anyhow. What Latics have always needed is a GOOD START to a season and to then keep momentum going. Even then, we'll only probably claw back maybe 1,000 regular attenders by the end of a full season. There are too many a) Utd fans B) City fans and c) Asians in Oldham (it's not a racist thing it's just that the 50,000 plus Asians in Oldham aren't interested in football - unless it's free, of course - then we see a few).

So, a real dilemma and the above facts aren't lost on any potential investor. When you map out Oldham's future demographics, the Asian element of our population grows significantly - therefore the available "pool" of people who may watch us is ever shrinking. Not an easy one - only real success will bring a modest increase in attendances I`m afraid.

If Sheridan can keep our momentum going and keep us up, and see us finish the season in good form with good results then I do think the club might consider something of an incentive idea.

Particularly if they could time it with the announcement of hopefully the signing of one or two good players (Palmer for example) then it might be workable.

I know SC looked at a cheap ST deal in the past and I don't think it could be made to fly. You cannot assume increased on the day spend from all of them because if we have a bad season they stop coming.

I just don't think the maths add up. With the dwindling fan base we are down to the loyal 3k fans. For a whole variety of reasons the population of Oldham has little or no more than a passing interest in Latics, certainly not enough interest to dig into their pockets for a season ticket, whatever the price.

So I am afraid it is down to the dwindling loyal few paying full price.

I just don't think the maths add up. With the dwindling fan base we are down to the loyal 3k fans. For a whole variety of reasons the population of Oldham has little or no more than a passing interest in Latics, certainly not enough interest to dig into their pockets for a season ticket, whatever the price.

So I am afraid it is down to the dwindling loyal few paying full price.

Ok. Thanks for looking into it though Simon ?

I read somewhere that although the population of Oldham has changed little of the years the people have.

40,000 have left of which 3% were reckoned to go to BP .

Not on a regular basis but had been more than once a season type. The 40,000 who have moved in have little or no interest in football.

This change will probably continue making the club of little interest to potential investors.

Only thing we can hope for is a promotion push next season in league 1 and some decent derbies to get gates up to 5-6000 mark.

If you have to make the choice between a season ticket at Boundary Park or Sky or BT how simple is the answer for a family man?

If you can watch a live premiership game in your pub rather than travelling to Boundary Park to sit in the cold and wet how simple is the answer for most football fans?

Getting more people to attend is a real and increasingly difficult problem and the only way it can be done is to improve the product by winning more games and being in the top half of your division with a realistic chance of getting promoted. We are now, if we can keep Shez, in that place.

The post Johnson/pre Shez era has cost us dear. Nobody is going to be attracted to our club with what was on offer then and most of us must have questioned why we were going. That invisible elastic which kept me going since we rejoined league one was well on the way to breaking.

FACT. You're meant to use capitals.

The Premiership seems to be doing a better job of attracting Asian fans than Latics do.

Many Asians like football.

It's blindingly obvious why Asian fans might not have the same affinity to their town's team as those whose family are from Oldham and surrounding areas.

The culture is different, just like football culture is different in Spain, Italy, Russia, Brazil etc. hence support for Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid etc, despite the fact you see lots of young Asian lads kicking a ball around.

Might be something the club have to accept is not in its favour.

Edited by NewBlue

I can't remember if it was here or back in jkl days but I did a thread asking how you ended up at your first match. It was nearly all dad/big brother/mate who went with his dad etc.

Yes, Torquay away in 1967. Dad delayed our holiday on the Riviera just to get the game in. Mum said it was freezing.

She also said thank God we never played Swanage or we would have spent the whole fortnight in the Mowlem Theatre listening to Gran winge about her arthritis in the cold.

I used to be the proverbial spot on the domino when we played at Westwood Park, but only my mate who I grew up with on our Street used to accompany me to BP. Even then, it was always hard work. Some of the Asian lads were bloody good players and they all played in Latics shirts or blue. Most of them now have 30 businesses. The quintessential Ferengi!

I had a convo with an asian lad at work last week about why the asian population of the town dont go and watch latics.

This is what he said.....We all remember the game against Stoke City when afterwards it all went off and was the start of the race riots. He also said that most asians in his area (westwood) follow man utd liverpool etc and most dont class oldham as a professional club. He has agreed to come to a home game with me before the season is out. He reckons that it will be very difficult for the club to tap into oldhams asian population on the whole though.