Sliding Doors Latics Style

If you have not seen the film (Its not great) what do you think would have happened if:

1985/86 Keith Edwards stumbled and fell with the ball drifting harmlessly wide of the post ?

1989/90 Nigel Jemsons effort at goal drifted a meter ove the bar in the Littlewoods cup final ?

1990/91 Redders miss hit the penalty and Latica are promoted as runners up to West Ham

1990/91 Ian Stott sells a successful club to a mega rich overseas buyer

1992/93 Latics Lose to Liverpool Villa and Southampton condeming the to relegation to the Chanpionship

1993/4 Pick one ..... Sharp buries the second goal of the FA cup semi !!!! The shin of Lord Voldemort makes no contact with the ball.

2003/4 Ian Dowie kept is word ... he went hard and did not go home.

2003/4 M**re didnt pull out all the cash leaving us on our areses for the TTA to rescue

2004/5 TTA looked at the land and the club and thought :censored: that for a game of soldiers.

2005/6 We easily beat QPR to the playoff final

2015/16 We did not stupidly appoint Darren Kelly as manager and didn not sign Dunn as a player.

2016/17 ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

If you have not seen the film (Its not great) what do you think would have happened if:

1985/86 Keith Edwards stumbled and fell with the ball drifting harmlessly wide of the post ? We'd have probably been beaten by Charlton too..... and if not, would've come straight back down the following season, we weren't quite ready.

1989/90 Nigel Jemsons effort at goal drifted a meter ove the bar in the Littlewoods cup final ? We'd have won a trophy and the day out would be more memorable for it. It wouldn't have changed our trajectory and/or or coffers, there was no Europe in those days.

1990/91 Redders miss hit the penalty and Latica are promoted as runners up to West Ham ? We'd have not won a trophy and the day out would be less memorable for it. It wouldn't have changed our trajectory and/or or coffers, we'd have been 1st division bound regardless.

1990/91 Ian Stott sells a successful club to a mega rich overseas buyer ? If's and buts.... I don't however think it likely as foreign ownership wasn't as fashionable then.

1992/93 Latics Lose to Liverpool Villa and Southampton condeming the to relegation to the Chanpionship ? Interesting question. We had a better team at the end of 92/93 than we did 93/94. Had we been able to retain one or two, we might've been better placed to come back up / Everton might not have been ready to steal Royle from us. However I assume the likes of Milligan would've deserted regardless.

1993/4 Pick one ..... Sharp buries the second goal of the FA cup semi !!!! The shin of Lord Voldemort makes no contact with the ball. ? This is the biggest for me.... in the 9 games leading into the league game at Old Trafford - one before the S/F at Wembley - we had won 5, drawn 3 and lost only 1. We were out of the bottom 3 and had games in hand. There is no way we'd have gone down if we'd have made the FA Cup final. We'd beaten Chelsea home and away that season, we could easily have beaten them in the final. That would've meant Europe. The Cup Winners Cup, another season in the Premier League and all the money that came with them. That day altered our future immeasurably.

2003/4 Ian Dowie kept is word ... he went hard and did not go home. ? Nothing different.... one man wouldn't have made much difference to that following season.

2003/4 M**re didnt pull out all the cash leaving us on our areses for the TTA to rescue ? Someone would've had to take over..... and living beyond our means with creditors to satisfy, we'd have likely found ourselves in Admin anyway.

2004/5 TTA looked at the land and the club and thought :censored: that for a game of soldiers. ? We would've been liquidated and begun at the bottom of pyramid with no guarantee we'd have done a Wimbledon, for their wasn't the same motivation for redemption. I am still very grateful to TTA for this much.

2005/6 We easily beat QPR to the playoff final ? Wrong year, QPR was 02/03 before Moore pulled the plug..... I make an assumption Moore's business model would've failed no matter what league.... so we'd have definitely gone down again and be no better off than we are today. If we'd have beaten Blackpool in 2006/07 and gone up that year, it would've been interesting to see the likes of Wellens, Porter, McDonald, Eardley, Taylor et al have a go at the Championship. With Gregan's leadership and Liddell experience we might stayed up y'know..... this was TTA reign's finest moment.... and it was ruined by Keigan fookin Parker.... says it all.

2015/16 We did not stupidly appoint Darren Kelly as manager and didn not sign Dunn as a player. ? Not much different, we'd have been higher up the table but still outside of the play offs.

2016/17 ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Good game this, I like it Andy B...... opinions above....

Edited by lookersstandandy

Good game this, I like it Andy B...... opinions above....

No-one else gets to play though ;-). Agree with pretty much everything. Couldn't comment on the Leeds play-off game and I'm still not sure it'd have come to liquidation without Corney but the rest is bang on.

There's probably not a single moment experienced by any other club that altered its history as much as Hughes" goal did ours.

Looking back, I've always felt like our defeat to Millwall at home in the 06/07 Play Off season, around Feb 2007, was a pivotal moment in our season.

We'd just beaten Trannies at home & Swansea the week before to go top of the league - Warne scored a belting header just after half time to put us 1 up, and we seemed like we'd go on to another win, but their equaliser (can't actually remember it, but i'm assuming it was really slutchy, error laden goal that could have been prevented in 'typical Latics' fashion) & late winner through a Byfield (shudder) pen at the Chaddy just seemed to completely smash our confidence, and the following games were poor, 0-3 at Vale & 1-2 at home to struggling Bournemouth, before Blackpool took 3 vital points off us too.

Sheridan started to bring in a raft of middling loan players in a attempt to cover injuries we'd accrued & to try and regain momentum, but we just never seemed to get going again after this.

Granted we had lots of games remaining in which to balls it all up horrifically, but I've always had a niggling feeling about that result defining what followed. We were the best team in that league up until late January.

And it's been pretty bobbins since!!

Edited by cheshire_latic

Wonder if putting $10 on Gunnar Halle at an Australian bookmakers would cause a ripple in the odds worldwide, on second thoughts trying to get them to understand there is a football club called Oldham would just depress me.

Isn't Gunnar an assistant manager back in Norway - and a very popular former latics player

oops wrong thread - sorry

Edited by Stagger Lee