Why are fans being ripped off for paying "on the day" ?

Guest nonaenever

I find it hard to accept that making it £20 or making it £24 is going to make a massive difference to anyone's decision process on if they are going to come of not. You don't often hear cost being given as the reason why anyone does or does not come, its almost always other factors. It just has the affect of making anyone with half a brain cell and the remote sense in financial management buy online and it helps the club plan stewarding and catering levels better.

I think it's more to do with whether it's perceived as being expensive or not. People hearing at the start of the season that it's £24 will think "that's expensive!", people hearing that it's £20 are more likely to think "seems about right". Later down the line, come a free Saturday, the former won't include a trip to BP in their options for the day, the latter group just might.

I find it hard to accept that making it £20 or making it £24 is going to make a massive difference to anyone's decision process on if they are going to come of not. You don't often hear cost being given as the reason why anyone does or does not come, its almost always other factors. It just has the affect of making anyone with half a brain cell and the remote sense in financial management buy online and it helps the club plan stewarding and catering levels better.

What an absolute tool.

Suppose this will have to be the downside of us doing well this season.

Guest nonaenever

Sorry oafc0000 - I think you are missing the point. It's about attracting the "floating" or "casual" supporter. An example, the missus had some of her relatives up from London (QPR fans) - and 4 of them fancied taking in a game whilst they were up here. When they heard it was £25 on the day (from memory - I have a season ticket) they gave Latics a wide berth - and went on the razz instead. At £20 I'm pretty sure they would have gone. That's the issue (as well, of course, as penalising fans who have no internet access etc. - nothing to do with brain cells, as you put it!)

Sorry oafc0000 - I think you are missing the point. It's about attracting the "floating" or "casual" supporter. An example, the missus had some of her relatives up from London (QPR fans) - and 4 of them fancied taking in a game whilst they were up here. When they heard it was £25 on the day (from memory - I have a season ticket) they gave Latics a wide berth - and went on the razz instead. At £20 I'm pretty sure they would have gone. That's the issue (as well, of course, as penalising fans who have no internet access etc. - nothing to do with brain cells, as you put it!)

I didn't miss the point... I just think its more valuable to the club to know they will have x amount of fans on any given day rather than pick up maybe 10 floaters...

I think it's more to do with whether it's perceived as being expensive or not. People hearing at the start of the season that it's £24 will think "that's expensive!", people hearing that it's £20 are more likely to think "seems about right". Later down the line, come a free Saturday, the former won't include a trip to BP in their options for the day, the latter group just might.

It's almost as if the club brainstorm every summer to come up with some cunning new false economies to hold us back.