The Management Style/Coaching etc.

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

Delighted with yesterday's win and, after the first 25 mins or so, quite enjoyed it. However, not getting carried away at all as Donny were bloody awful and put out a considerably weakened side.

I`m going to focus on Fane to make my point. Early season, he frightened teams to death when he burst forward, in a very direct manner, from midfield. You could see the opposition panicking because, with those crazyily long legs of his, he's a nightmare to tackle without fouling him. BUT - somebody in the coaching staff must have said something to him. On a couple of occasions yesterday, he started to burst forward in his natural way and then (as if instructed on the training pitch) stopped in his tracks turned around and passed backwards! Impetus completely lost.

It's clearly not his natural game (you can see that he's "stopping in his tracks" on instruction) - why the hell is someone instilling this in him? Once again smacks of the awful safe and negative way the management team seem to want to play. Incidentally, Fane's had a bit of stick lately but yesterday he was excellent from when he came on. Lost count of the number of times he broke up their play with timely interventions.

Coached correctly, he could develop into one hell of a player - he's strong and athletic and those lung busting surges forward are (or were) a joy to watch.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have the right people to "coach him correctly". If Keith Hill, for example, had him, he'd now be blossoming into one of the most exciting prospects in our crap division. I maintain his potential is enormous - but he's having the lifeblood coached out of him.

Just ONE example (I could quote several others) of why I think Robinson et al are simply not up to it. It seems they are not used to working with raw talent - just the traditional "work horse" types.

Agree, he has had the natural urge to drive forward coached out of him, he did burst forward into gaps yesterday but checked his run and this could only have been because he's been instructed too. Nothing worse for a player than not being able to express themselves for fear of getting their ear chewed off.

Well trying to think positively i am hoping the opposite has happened ,

ie - Fane has been getting worse and worse with his reverse gear policy and at Rochdale he reached his nadir with the run of poor performances hence he was dropped for yesterdays game. Hoping the management sent him on with the order "rediscover your early season thrust" !!!

Who knows but the game against the wombles will tell..

Edited by losesome

Delighted with yesterday's win and, after the first 25 mins or so, quite enjoyed it. However, not getting carried away at all as Donny were bloody awful and put out a considerably weakened side.

I`m going to focus on Fane to make my point. Early season, he frightened teams to death when he burst forward, in a very direct manner, from midfield. You could see the opposition panicking because, with those crazyily long legs of his, he's a nightmare to tackle without fouling him. BUT - somebody in the coaching staff must have said something to him. On a couple of occasions yesterday, he started to burst forward in his natural way and then (as if instructed on the training pitch) stopped in his tracks turned around and passed backwards! Impetus completely lost.

It's clearly not his natural game (you can see that he's "stopping in his tracks" on instruction) - why the hell is someone instilling this in him? Once again smacks of the awful safe and negative way the management team seem to want to play. Incidentally, Fane's had a bit of stick lately but yesterday he was excellent from when he came on. Lost count of the number of times he broke up their play with timely interventions.

Coached correctly, he could develop into one hell of a player - he's strong and athletic and those lung busting surges forward are (or were) a joy to watch.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have the right people to "coach him correctly". If Keith Hill, for example, had him, he'd now be blossoming into one of the most exciting prospects in our crap division. I maintain his potential is enormous - but he's having the lifeblood coached out of him.

Just ONE example (I could quote several others) of why I think Robinson et al are simply not up to it. It seems they are not used to working with raw talent - just the traditional "work horse" types.

What a load of crap. He's garbage with the football, I'd sooner he offloaded it asap once he has won it back. His crazily long legs tangle himself up when he runs with it. Give it Ollie Banks who can actually play a bit. I think we looked much better once Green went off, but that was due to Ollie Banks spreading it with the extra protection behind him. Game plan of moving the ball and creating space for the wingers really worked

What a load of crap. He's garbage with the football, I'd sooner he offloaded it asap once he has won it back. His crazily long legs tangle himself up when he runs with it. Give it Ollie Banks who can actually play a bit. I think we looked much better once Green went off, but that was due to Ollie Banks spreading it with the extra protection behind him. Game plan of moving the ball and creating space for the wingers really worked

A massive quick bloke charging through the middle sort of helps make space on the wings and for the likes of Banks to play in though

A massive quick bloke charging through the middle sort of helps make space on the wings and for the likes of Banks to play in though

When said big bloke makes that run and commits people then he needs to know where and when to pass the ball at the end of it or if he has a shot in his locker. See Yaya Toure in his prime or Paul Pogba when playing for Juventus.

That's where Fane needs to be coached his passing. Credit to him he is always looking for the ball despite this weakness in his game once he learns how to pass the ball he will start to fulfil his potential.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Guest nonaenever

Thanks for the feedback - lol. Ollie Banks made some cute passes yesterday, granted - against a 4th division side who effectively played their second string! He's looked anonymous against any side worth its salt. Have you never witnessed Fane in full flow? (early season) - he's about the only player I`ve seen regularly frighten the opposition - the other actually was Osei but he seems to have been sidelined by our esteemed management.

Have you never witnessed Fane in full flow? (early season) - he's about the only player I`ve seen regularly frighten the opposition - the other actually was Osei but he seems to have been sidelined by our esteemed management.

Fane and Osei regularly frightened the opposition?!?!?!?!?! :) :) :)

Now I know their is seeing thing differently and then their is just making things up and that falls in the latter.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Guest nonaenever

Fane and Osei regularly frightened the opposition?!?!?!?!?! :) :) :)

Now I know their is seeing thing differently and then their is just making things up and that falls in the latter.

Seem to remember Osei coming on at half time against Carlisle - scoring 2 good goals and crashing a header against the bar. Name me any other Latics player who has come close to achieving that in just 45 mins this season. They were scared to death of him. The lad's not been given a proper chance - meanwhile we have McKay.........

Seem to remember Osei coming on at half time against Carlisle - scoring 2 good goals and crashing a header against the bar. Name me any other Latics player who has come close to achieving that in just 45 mins this season. They were scared to death of him. The lad's not been given a proper chance - meanwhile we have McKay.........

That's 45 minutes in a cup competition that none of us are taking seriously what else have you seen?

I've seen a guy who when he has come on is a willing runner but not one that is frightening teams to death. Like Fane physically he has attributes but technically at the moment atleast falls short if both develop here then they could be reel assets. Their is no evidence to suggest it has been coached out of him. Such sweeping statements are ludicrous.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Thanks for the feedback - lol. Ollie Banks made some cute passes yesterday, granted - against a 4th division side who effectively played their second string! He's looked anonymous against any side worth its salt. Have you never witnessed Fane in full flow? (early season) - he's about the only player I`ve seen regularly frighten the opposition - the other actually was Osei but he seems to have been sidelined by our esteemed management.

Whenever Fane does those runs forward I like to imagine in his head a kind of vertigo, where he realises that he's terrible on the ball and pivots to the safety of a 5 yard backwards pass

There probably is a bit of negativity in the coaching but saying he'd be one of the division's most exciting prospects under Keith Hill is trash. The lad has so many deep flaws in his game it's going to take any manager more than a couple of months to fix them. The manager has worked at several youth levels and clearly has a solid reputation for enhancing players. Give him time.

I like it when Fane isnt in possession and the way he closes down. He is one of Robinsons team without possession players. Problem is when he gets it he has a touch my gran would be ashamed of. If you want to watch players of the standard of Fane and Osei regurlarly doing these things then make your way to Chaddy FC. I dont think he played badly, but if Steve Robisnon makes a Yaya Toure out of Fane then he will be managing City in a few years.

I like it when Fane isnt in possession and the way he closes down. He is one of Robinsons team without possession players. Problem is when he gets it he has a touch my gran would be ashamed of. If you want to watch players of the standard of Fane and Osei regurlarly doing these things then make your way to Chaddy FC. I dont think he played badly, but if Steve Robisnon makes a Yaya Toure out of Fane then he will be managing City in a few years.

I don't know. He's very often wrong side of his man off the ball.