Is our defence as good as we think?

We have rightly spent a lot of time discussing our goals For column and believing there is no particular problem at the back. Are we right though and is our vulnerability being masked.

- we have lost 9 games to nil and in 4 games scored in the last minute. So in 13 of our 22 games the opposition has finished the game with either no need to score again or no time to score again.

- of the 8 games in which we have scored we have won only 3

- in only 6 games have both sides scored. We have lead in 5 but only won one

- Ripley seems to make a couple of " worldies " every week ( I accept he is part ot the defence)

In essence can an argument be made that the opposition generally tend to able to score when they have too and our goals Against column is flattered by them not needing to score many to out score us?

I've definitely thought our defence is far from rock solid.

As with many a season in this league, silly goals are very costly.

I also think its getting a bit worse as the season has progressed, more anecdotal though.

Anthony Gerrard, a decent striker and at least one better winger could transform our season so far I believe. Providing they are the right payers of course.

I may be wrong but I reckon the majority of goals against have been set pieces or crosses in to the box.

We've rarely been carved open and looked troubled defensively. We're just piss poor at dealing with crosses.

You can also throw in the odd individual mistake.

Edited by oldhamoafc

I may be wrong but I reckon the majority of goals against have been set pieces or crosses in to the box.

We've rarely been carved open and looked troubled defensively. We're just piss poor at dealing with crosses.

You can also throw in the odd individual mistake.

So if crosses and set pieces are so easy to deal with, why does our esteemed manager constantly bleat on about how we need to get more crosses in and tell us he spends hours practicising our set pieces? Just saying!

I've had this argument a few times. As a defensive unit, it's not that great.

We're constantly bailed out of the :censored: by two of the back 5 (Ripley and Clarke)...

It doesn't help when your midfielders give the ball away cheaply or get caught in possesion. Distribution is one of our major problems defensively and offensively.

It doesn't help when your midfielders give the ball away cheaply or get caught in possesion. Distribution is one of our major problems defensively and offensively.

This. Most of the season our midfield two has been Fane and Green, the former is poor on the ball and we all know that and the latter has strangely lost all of his ability. It can't help.

Defensively we're adequate without being amazing. We're rarely carved open through the middle and when we are we've got the best keeper in the division.

Don't think anybody is going out saying our defence is unbelievable anyway, just recognise that it generally works

I've definitely thought our defence is far from rock solid.

As with many a season in this league, silly goals are very costly.

I also think its getting a bit worse as the season has progressed, more anecdotal though.

Anthony Gerrard, a decent striker and at least one better winger could transform our season so far I believe. Providing they are the right payers of course.

You don't feel we need another tackler in midfield other than Fane? Green, Banks, Flynn, Winchester and whoever else are as weak as piss.

This. Most of the season our midfield two has been Fane and Green, the former is poor on the ball and we all know that and the latter has strangely lost all of his ability. It can't help.

Defensively we're adequate without being amazing. We're rarely carved open through the middle and when we are we've got the best keeper in the division.

Don't think anybody is going out saying our defence is unbelievable anyway, just recognise that it generally works

Apart fro Robinson you mean?

Isn't it simply that we defend as a team trying to keep a defensive shape all the time. Yes anyone can defend with 11 players but without risk, without committing men forward you can't score.

We rarely flood the opposition penalty area, I don't think many of the current players have the legs to do it, therein lies one of your major problems.