Going forward

Just noticed we have already scored half the amount of goals that we did the whole of last season. We have scored the same amount of goals it took us until January to score last time out. 

We look like scoring in every game and oldham nil... is hopefully a thing of the past. 

Davies took time to settle in but since Doyle came in they have stuck up a partnership that could really see us challenging if we improve at the back consistently. 

It's been a long time since watching latics was this entertaining ( even when we are losing we are scoring goals)

1 hour ago, rigsby said:

Agreed.

Personally dropping Gerrard was a good move too, not nice to say but he far to imobile for mine.

Midfield and up front we're good to go.

only too immobile if they play an attacking open game where's there's plenty of space. if we play like back end of last year then gerrard stands out as it plays to his strengths and he doesn't have to run that much. might be usefull in some games if we decide to go a bit more defensive. have to see how the new managers likes to play

5 hours ago, Careca9 said:

only too immobile if they play an attacking open game where's there's plenty of space. if we play like back end of last year then gerrard stands out as it plays to his strengths and he doesn't have to run that much. might be usefull in some games if we decide to go a bit more defensive. have to see how the new managers likes to play

Think this is where I stand. Currently it's problematic to play both Clarke and Gerrard in a back 3 unless there is someone with real pace alongside. (Don't think we have anyone available).

There was no issue playing both of them together in a back 3 on our pudding of a pitch late last season. Can see the same being applicable later on in the season or against some sides in our division.

With Br. Wilson presumably suspended for Pompey I can see them both starting again.

We might set up with a back four at Pompey with Dummigan at rightback, Bryan slotting in alongside Clark at CB and Hunt playing at leftback. 

I'd personally start with five in midfield 

Nepomuceno 

Byrne

Fane

Gardner

Obadeyi 

With Doyle upfront on his own, some might not agree but Davies could do with a rest for me and three games in a week could take its toll as he only seems to have a good 75 minutes in his legs at best.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

We might set up with a back four at Pompey with Dummigan at rightback, Bryan slotting in alongside Clark at CB and Hunt playing at leftback. 

I'd personally start with five in midfield 

Nepomuceno 

Byrne

Fane

Gardner

Obadeyi 

With Doyle upfront on his own, some might not agree but Davies could do with a rest for me and three games in a week could take its toll as he only seems to have a good 75 minutes in his legs at best.

Davies was stretching a lot during the game, suggesting he might be carrying an injury.

You could be right in him missing the Pompey game.