Oldham Trivia

Everyone knows that Oldham is the birth-place of the tubular bandage (as proclaimed from Mumps Bridge) and Yates's Wine Lodge.

However I've learned today that Oldham lays claim to being the birthplace of the chip shop (though possibly not in the sense it is understood today of 'fish-and-chip shop' - the combination is thought to have been first offered by Joseph Malin at his premises in London circa 1860), from which the fast food industry's origins may be traced. The chip shop in question was on the site of what is now the Tommyfield indoor market and is marked with a blue plaque.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/t...n_UK.jpg/180px-

What more could you ask for - a chip shop, Yates's Wine Lodge, tubular bandage and Latics - Oldham really is Utopia! :comeon:

Everyone knows that Oldham is the birth-place of the tubular bandage (as proclaimed from Mumps Bridge) and Yates's Wine Lodge.

However I've learned today that Oldham lays claim to being the birthplace of the chip shop (though possibly not in the sense it is understood today of 'fish-and-chip shop' - the combination is thought to have been first offered by Joseph Malin at his premises in London circa 1860), from which the fast food industry's origins may be traced. The chip shop in question was on the site of what is now the Tommyfield indoor market and is marked with a blue plaque.

What more could you ask for - a chip shop, Yates's Wine Lodge, tubular bandage and Latics - Oldham really is Utopia! :comeon:

You didn't know that!? :shock:

Guest sheridans_world
What do you expect from a man who claims Oldham is in the midlands? :o:wink:

Don't forget that Oldham is also the birth-place of the World's first Test-Tube Baby.

Also home to the worlds baby borne from a test-tube baby. (Lousie Brown had a child three years ago)

Edited by sheridans_world

Also home to the worlds baby borne from a test-tube baby. (Lousie Brown had a child three years ago)

Wash out your mouth! That big lad from Finland which IS in the North, will be on soon to tell you that Louise Brown's baby was born in Brizzol! :grin:

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Don't forget that Oldham is also the birth-place of the World's first Test-Tube Baby.

Yeh, a breakthrough in medical science, but let's face it it's not up there with the great benefits to mankind brought about by the chip shop, the tubular bandage and Yates's. :grin:

Spose you all know that the parish church (obviously lower case as I mean the protestant one rather than the real one) was designed by the same architect that designed the current Palace of Westminster?

Actually the present building dates from 1830 and was designed in the Gothic Style by Richard Lane, a Manchester Architect.

Designs by Mr Barry, later to become Sir Charles Barry the designer of the House of Commons, although far superior, were rejected! :tongue1:

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Spose you all know that the parish church (obviously lower case as I mean the protestant one rather than the real one) was designed by the same architect that designed the current Palace of Westminster?

Some 29/ 30 years ago, I appeared live on TV from Oldham Parish Church for 3 consecutive weekends - in a Programme hosted by none other than David Davies.

Fame and fortune awaited me but (un)fortunately, my balls dropped and I was booted out of The Saddleworth School Boy's Choir. :disappointed:

Some 29/ 30 years ago, I appeared live on TV from Oldham Parish Church for 3 consecutive weekends - in a Programme hosted by none other than David Davies.

Fame and fortune awaited me but (un)fortunately, my balls dropped and I was booted out of The Saddleworth School Boy's Choir. :disappointed:

Blimey Jeff, you were in one of the Northeast's leading Choirs?

Guest oa_exile
lol :laught30:

Actually the present building dates from 1830 and was designed in the Gothic Style by Richard Lane, a Manchester Architect.

Designs by Mr Barry, later to become Sir Charles Barry the designer of the House of Commons, although far superior, were rejected! :tongue1:

*Case under challenge*

Guest oa_exile

Now Then :idea: *Exile turns inro Geek Mode* this Joseph Malin the "Chippy Man" :mmm: i wonder if he is anything to do with Mallinsons the famous Oldham company which manufactures the Chippy Ranges , deep fat frier's etc ? This company has been around "Donkeys years".

Joseph Malin , Mallinsons (Mallin & Sons ?) :rolleyes:

Now Then :idea: *Exile turns inro Geek Mode* this Joseph Malin the "Chippy Man" :mmm: i wonder if he is anything to do with Mallinsons the famous Oldham company which manufactures the Chippy Ranges , deep fat frier's etc ? This company has been around "Donkeys years".

Joseph Malin , Mallinsons (Mallin & Sons ?) :rolleyes:

Nah, far less plausible than my theory about Oldham being in the North Midlands. :wink: Mallinsons didn't start up until the early 1900s, whereas Joe Malin's fish and chips were fried in OASIS territory c1860.

http://sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/show.do?id=SB0002815255000200

P.S. My aunt worked at Rouse's of Oldham, manufacturers of fish and chip frying ranges.