22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yes, one of the fastest strikers I'd seen at any level. 

25K to Mossley from Everton. Given all this cash coming in from the Saudis currently you could say Eamon was a trial blazer in the middle East  back in the day.  If you know you know 

On 8/30/2023 at 10:38 PM, BP1960 said:

If they make a a good first impression I may  have another look or or ask someone else what they think, obviously one can't be  right all the time, even those in the top flight can be totally wrong, For example I was told by one assistant PL manager Chris Waddle when an 18yo in non league would never make a FL player in a million years and another in non league was too old at 26yo (he went on to play for Everton and the Republic of Ireland).

You are right though even though talented some don't fulfil their promise for various reasons, it can be off the field activities, injuries or just a lack of desire, I've seen them all. 

I've sent a few in for the club to follow up, unfortunately none have been signed, so I guess I've failed in that respect, but some have gone to other NL clubs and another on loan to an EFL1 club. Its just a matter of opinions and what the manager wants.

I had hoped young attacking midfielder Marcel Lewis of Burnley (who I know is available on loan) might be just what we need, but  I understand it's experience we are are looking for at the moment.

Even at my old age I'll still keep looking hoping to spot hidden gems, its in my blood'

Any good up and coming golfers I can look out for @Dave_Og, I like a little flutter on the major events at big odds.🙂

Sounds like a pretty good hit rate to me and interesting insight. To me it's a shame if we're entirely discounting younger players. Will Sutton is the only player U25 currently catching our match day squads at present and I'd prefer there to be a couple more. I think it's good for the team dynamic to have that blend of youthful promise, hope and vigour mixed with more hard bitten, experienced, older pros. 

12 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Sounds like a pretty good hit rate to me and interesting insight. To me it's a shame if we're entirely discounting younger players. Will Sutton is the only player U25 currently catching our match day squads at present and I'd prefer there to be a couple more. I think it's good for the team dynamic to have that blend of youthful promise, hope and vigour mixed with more hard bitten, experienced, older pros. 

This raises a good point. Are we so dull to watch because of a lack of youth in the side ? As you point out, on the whole we are a team of experienced players which potentially lacks energy and urgency ?

I don’t know the answer, just thinking out loud. 

15 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

thats a good point and another thing l had missed. l'll spend some time ruminating on this before l form an opinion!!!

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

This raises a good point. Are we so dull to watch because of a lack of youth in the side ? As you point out, on the whole we are a team of experienced players which potentially lacks energy and urgency ?

I don’t know the answer, just thinking out loud. 

l do that on here tooo!!

sorry everybody but at least youve figured out who l am in real life by now 🤣🤣

If we start Freeman, Raglan, Hogan, Dickenson and Norwood that's 5 players the "wrong" side of 30. For me that's too many. I liked the recruitment at the start of the summer when we were signing younger, hungry players that want to play in the EFL. I am a bit concerned that so many older, ex-EFL players will perhaps lack the ambition and fight of that younger, perhaps more ambitious element. 

Based on our last two games I would play Sutton over Freeman at RB every day of the week. But that's unfair, too small a sample size. I just didn't fancy Freeman at Boreham Wood, offered nothing going forward and didn't really relish the physicality of BW, perhaps he just needs a little time to adjust to non-league and build up his match fitness (has that been mentioned elsewhere??).

Getting back to the point I definitely think there's room in the squad for younger talent as recommended by BP1960.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

If we start Freeman, Raglan, Hogan, Dickenson and Norwood that's 5 players the "wrong" side of 30. For me that's too many. I liked the recruitment at the start of the summer when we were signing younger, hungry players that want to play in the EFL. I am a bit concerned that so many older, ex-EFL players will perhaps lack the ambition and fight of that younger, perhaps more ambitious element. 

Based on our last two games I would play Sutton over Freeman at RB every day of the week. But that's unfair, too small a sample size. I just didn't fancy Freeman at Boreham Wood, offered nothing going forward and didn't really relish the physicality of BW, perhaps he just needs a little time to adjust to non-league and build up his match fitness (has that been mentioned elsewhere??).

Getting back to the point I definitely think there's room in the squad for younger talent as recommended by BP1960.

five over 30 isnt too many provided the other five (Keeper doesnt count before anybody gets excited and wastes some bandwith) can take up any slack.

plus Norwood and Dickenson play like theyre 29 anyway.

agreed we may not quite have got the balance right. but the tactics are also wrong.

Edited by Monty Burns
spelling. unsuprisingly!!

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

five over 30 isnt too many provided the other five (Keeper doesnt count before anybody gets excited and wastes some bandwith) can take up any slack.

plus Norwood and Dickenson play like theyre 29 anyway.

agreed we may not quite have got the balance right. but the tactics are also wrong.

Yeah, agree it's not the biggest problem we've got, and most of the others it goes away if we're a winning team. But I do think it's a bit of an issue, I don't have the time or inclination to do the research but I'd be surprised if many successful teams have this kind of age profile.

2 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Yeah, agree it's not the biggest problem we've got, and most of the others it goes away if we're a winning team. But I do think it's a bit of an issue, I don't have the time or inclination to do the research but I'd be surprised if many successful teams have this kind of age profile.

l can see the point and maybe Rhino is over protective of the youth bc of both his and our past vastly different ways of handling their journey to first team Football.

there was a mini clamour from some fans to PLAY JAKE FORSHAW FFS IF YOUR(sic) GOOD ENOUGH THEN YOUR(again,sic🙄) OLD ENOUGH😡😡😡😡 last season, which was totally bonkers.