21 hours ago, Londonboy said:

If someone from fucking Colwyn Bay is "far too powerful" for him, are you recommending we get rid BP? 

I wouldn't write Couto off at 19yo, he may well develop into a strong player in a couple of years time.

37 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I wouldn't write Couto off at 19yo, he may well develop into a strong player in a couple of years time.

He looked better in pre season, granted he was given the run around at Chorley but there is a player in there, very fit and decent on the ball, just not sure he is a left back or ready enough for the hurly burly of a NL midfield, can certainly see him playing at an higher level as he gets older. Loan move is perfect for him as he will develop in a good team, needs to find his position though.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He looked better in pre season, granted he was given the run around at Chorley but there is a player in there, very fit and decent on the ball, just not sure he is a left back or ready enough for the hurly burly of a NL midfield, can certainly see him playing at an higher level as he gets older. Loan move is perfect for him as he will develop in a good team, needs to find his position though.

I wouldn't agree. While they are examples from a few levels above Couto is likely to get to, Phil Neville developed into a very handy DM role as he aged (helped by Everton needing someone to play there and them having good fullbacks). John Stones was arguably MOTM in the Champions League final at DM having only really played there this season.

Squad size restrictions will often mean versatility is beneficial, although I don't think they apply outside PL and European competitions.

Would definitely agree about the loan being beneficial and I'd add Couto probably could have done with going on loan last season too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Can’t even get on the bench at TNS. Played 15mins the other day but not in the most recent squad. 

One would think if his loan is being monitored, the club would ask why his playing time is so limited.
Is he not good enough or fit enough to start games? I wouldn't think it's either but...

32 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Do we remember when he was the midfield option in the team and more often than not in the squad at the expense of Vaughan, alarm bells then should have been blasting all around BP, cheers Dave another one you got completely wrong. 👏👏👏

No because that didn't happen.

43 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

No because that didn't happen.

Yes it did Rob, I know you don't go much but even in Vaughan's last game for us (when Unsworth hung him out to dry) he came on after an hour to replace..... yes you guessed it Couto in a like for like swap, he never played another minute for us yet Couto was a first team squad regular throughout the season, they were both named on the bench together four times, three of those occasions Couto was used to replace Tollit, Gardner and Hope, Vaughan was unused on each occasion despite us attempting to chase a result in those games, on another three occasions Vaughan didn't even make the 16 yet Couto came on for Peck, Gardner and Tollitt again. Come back at me when you actually know what your talking about rather than posting your contrary shite for bites.

Ironically Vaughan is just the player we need, someone who could link up play and look after the ball but that didn't appeal to Unsworth who'd rather have shit and shitter doing the yards running after balls they've invariably given away. Weird fucking logic I know but when you're mantra is based on effort over ability you're fucked before you start.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Don’t think so. He played 15mins the other day but wasn’t in the squads prior or the game last night v Colwyn Bay. 

@BP1960 few of my mates went to the game last night as they are from the area and Downes looked good and was captain of the side.

They are having to play Downes at centre back at the moment, which is akin to playing Sutton at right back.

Hopefully, Downes will be returned to right wing back soon where he excels.

How did Colwyn's Akpan shape up? looks a quick and tricky midfielder.

PS. I'd like another look at the  young Cardiff Met right winger Brandon Roberts, he had something about him.

Edited by BP1960

16 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes it did Rob, I know you don't go much but even in Vaughan's last game for us (when Unsworth hung him out to dry) he came on after an hour to replace..... yes you guessed it Couto in a like for like swap, he never played another minute for us yet Couto was a first team squad regular throughout the season, they were both named on the bench together four times, three of those occasions Couto was used to replace Tollit, Gardner and Hope, Vaughan was unused on each occasion despite us attempting to chase a result in those games, on another three occasions Vaughan didn't even make the 16 yet Couto came on for Peck, Gardner and Tollitt again. Come back at me when you actually know what your talking about rather than posting your contrary shite for bites.

Ironically Vaughan is just the player we need, someone who could link up play and look after the ball but that didn't appeal to Unsworth who'd rather have shit and shitter doing the yards running after balls they've invariably given away. Weird fucking logic I know but when you're mantra is based on effort over ability you're fucked before you start.

The midfield option in the team who made a grand total of.....1 start.

And a handful of substitute appearances.

We must have different interpretations of what the midfield option means.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post though.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

They are having to play Downes at centre back at the moment, which is akin to playing Sutton at right back.

Hopefully, Downes will be returned to right wing back soon where he excels.

How did Colwyn's Akpan shape up? looks a quick and tricky midfielder.

PS. I'd like another look at the  young Cardiff Met right winger Brandon Roberts, he had something about him.

He played right back last night apparently. 

Akpan looked strong in the air, fast, but a terrible touch.

Will keep an eye on that Brandon Roberts. 

41 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He played right back last night apparently. 

Akpan looked strong in the air, fast, but a terrible touch.

Will keep an eye on that Brandon Roberts. 

Akpan is the small quick attacking midfielder, had a good first touch and tricky when I saw him.

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Akpan is the small quick attacking midfielder, had a good first touch and tricky when I saw him.

Isn't that the eternal dilemma of scouting?  Whether a first impression is a one-off or a real indicator?  We've all seen players who looked like potential stars but turned out to be nothing of the sort.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Isn't that the eternal dilemma of scouting?  Whether a first impression is a one-off or a real indicator?  We've all seen players who looked like potential stars but turned out to be nothing of the sort.

I was always dismayed when we signed someone who played well against us.

It never seemed to work out well apart from Grovesy as I recall. 

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

If they make a a good first impression I may  have another look or or ask someone else what they think, obviously one can't be  right all the time, even those in the top flight can be totally wrong, For example I was told by one assistant PL manager Chris Waddle when an 18yo in non league would never make a FL player in a million years and another in non league was too old at 26yo (he went on to play for Everton and the Republic of Ireland).

You are right though even though talented some don't fulfil their promise for various reasons, it can be off the field activities, injuries or just a lack of desire, I've seen them all. 

I've sent a few in for the club to follow up, unfortunately none have been signed, so I guess I've failed in that respect, but some have gone to other NL clubs and another on loan to an EFL1 club. Its just a matter of opinions and what the manager wants.

I had hoped young attacking midfielder Marcel Lewis of Burnley (who I know is available on loan) might be just what we need, but  I understand it's experience we are are looking for at the moment.

Even at my old age I'll still keep looking hoping to spot hidden gems, its in my blood'

Any good up and coming golfers I can look out for @Dave_Og, I like a little flutter on the major events at big odds.🙂

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

If they make a a good first impression I may  have another look or or ask someone else what they think, obviously one can't be  right all the time, even those in the top flight can be totally wrong, For example I was told by one assistant PL manager Chris Waddle when an 18yo in non league would never make a FL player in a million years and another in non league was too old at 26yo (he went on to play for Everton and the Republic of Ireland).

You are right though even though talented some don't fulfil their promise for various reasons, it can be off the field activities, injuries or just a lack of desire, I've seen them all. 

I've sent a few in for the club to follow up, unfortunately none have been signed, so I guess I've failed in that respect, but some have gone to other NL clubs and another on loan to an EFL1 club. Its just a matter of opinions and what the manager wants.

I had hoped young attacking midfielder Marcel Lewis of Burnley (who I know is available on loan) might be just what we need, but  I understand it's experience we are are looking for at the moment.

Even at my old age I'll still keep looking hoping to spot hidden gems, its in my blood'

Any good up and coming golfers I can look out for @Dave_Og, I like a little flutter on the major events at big odds.🙂

Too busy getting my handicap down...  I was a big supporter of Hovland before he broke through but I think that cat is out of the bag now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You will normally get good odds on golf tournaments @BP1960, because any pro in the top 100 can win a major if he strings together 4 good days, and there have been a number of rookie winners in the majors in recent years.

My betting record on the gee-gees isn't great, but when Bubba Watson won his first Masters in 2012 I put my anorak on before the tournament started and checked out the PGA tour stats for 20 or so players from the start of that year. Watson was  in good form and Paddy Power had him at 28/1 to win the Masters, with E/W betting down to (I think) 7th or 8th place. It seemed a no brainer and of course the fact that he won was a bonus. I backed him and that was the start of my PP and later bet365 account.

Just see who is coming into a tournament in form and/or with a good record at that particular course and you should find pretty good odds, it's just a reflection of how competitive pro golf is.

Edited by Worcester Owl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

You will normally get good odds on golf tournaments @BP1960, because any pro in the top 100 can win a major if he strings together 4 good days, and there have been a number of rookie winners in the majors in recent years.

My betting record on the gee-gees isn't great, but when Bubba Watson won his first Masters in 2012 I put my anorak on before the tournament started and checked out the PGA tour stats for 20 or so players from the start of that year. Watson was  in good form and Paddy Power had him at 28/1 to win the Masters, with E/W betting down to (I think) 7th or 8th place. It seemed a no brainer and of course the fact that he won was a bonus. I backed him and that was the start of my PP and later bet365 account.

Just see who is coming into a tournament in form and/or with a good record at that particular course and you should find pretty good odds, it's just a reflection of how competitive pro golf is.

It's a lot harder than beating half a dozen players to win a tennis major