Sheffield United 0-8

3 minutes ago, Bobby and Bert said:

Sheff Utd., worst home defeat since 0-5 v Latics Jan 2nd 1988.  Was there. Bunn2,Palmer,Wright and Mike Flynn's only goal for us. Interestingly our average home attendance that season was 6902 which is not a lot different from now. That included 16000 v City and 14000 v Blackburn.

Was there too, that really makes me feel old 

This is my best Latics story ... I was supposed to be working and was in work at 11.30 as usual ..... I bought a coffee from the machine drank half then emptied some cornflakes and branflakes into the half full cup and waited ubtil 11:50 threw the contants of the cup into my mouth ....... then threw it up on my nearest colleage. Naturally I was sent home and as planned the van taking us to the match pulled up outside to take us to sheffield. I was worth the stick I got off my colleague who had to drive home to change. They were sportingly chanting 0-5 like they were winning. 

• Like 1

That 5-0 win was in the middle of a real turning point that season. We'd won at City a few weeks earlier after an awful month or two which gave us a springboard. Pretty sure the Sheff Utd manager got sacked after the match and they went on to get relegated. We on the other hand had a fantastic second half of the season and won away at eventual champions Aston Villa around Easter. Loads of basketball games, as DU liked to reference them as.

Funny one that Sheff Utd match. My dad and his mates liked to sit at the side so often for away matches they sat in the home ends. They asked a chap in front who their No. 9 was, who was having a total stinker. "Phyllis Kirk" came the grumpy reply. Bemused everyone with this woman's name. The penny dropped some time later when we ended up signing Tony Philliskirk from them. 😂