BPAS PODCAST: 27th Nov '23, S4E19: 1-4 Good / 1-4 Bad

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He also had Jonny Smith on loan the season before we did. He's out of favour at Wigan. Might be a loan prospect and what a loan that would be.

That’s frankly a very good shout on a number of levels for this boy to resurrect a very promising career with us in an environment, and with a manager that he’s very familiar with.

9 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Assuming we're talking the National League promotion, I took a look at team that played Boreham Wood in the play off final, and discounted those that had either retired or were last seen playing for their local pub. It left these:

Oliver Norburn (Midfield) - 31yo Now captain at Blackpool. Rule him out.
Andy Cook (Forward) - 33yo Now at Bradford and a regular starter. Rule him out.
Josh Ginnelly (Midfielder) - 26yo Now at Swansea City. Out for rest of season after injury in September. Rule him out.
Connor Jennings (Forward) - 32yo Still at Tranmere. Seems an ever present but you never know, could be a swap for Nuttall for example. Seems very similar to Willoughby too so I'd rank this as unlikely.
Liam Ridehalgh (Left Back) - 32yo Now at Bradford and a regular starter. I doubt a replacement for Kitching is high on the priority list myelf. Rule him out.
Emmanuel Monthe (Centre Half) - 28YO Now at Northampton. Certainly don't need any central defenders and the big man is a firm ficture at Northampton. Rule him out.

So let's look at the L1 Play-off final team, with similar parameters.

Keiron Morris (Winger) - 29yo Still at Tranmere. Was quoted as saying "I love it here" in May. Virtual ever present in their side this season and Mellon was quoted back then as "He's the best player in the league". Unlikely, but could be a target next season.
Ollie Banks (Midfielder) - 31yo Now at Chesterfield. You've got to do some crazy mental gymnastics to expect Ollie to slap in a transfer request, leave the actual HMS Pisstheleague to come to the team who's fans were having Twitter rows with his dad.

Harvey Gilmour (Midfielder) - 24yo Now at Rochdale. Well, he wouldn't have to move far, after all. Signed a two year deal last summer and has played all season. I can't see us a) paying a big fee to prize him away and b) him leaving on loan in the middle of a play-off chase.
Ben Pringle (Midfielder) - 34yo Now at Fleetwood United in the UAE. Disturbingly, he seems the most likely candidate. Loads of experience, a creative midfielder and probably affordable on a short-term deal. He seemed a bit past it when he came on loan 5-6 years ago despite still being in his twenties but it was two divisions further up. Possible. 

Gilmour and Smith not completely unrealistic...

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Gilmour and Smith not completely unrealistic...

Yes, you're probably right. I could see Jonny Smith coming to us. As @hollandspies suggested, it's a good opportunity to come and be a central player at a club with fond recent memories. Gilmour I'm a little more sceptical about unless the "the budget is spent" mantra is just a ruse to try and not be exploited with a high fee. It would also weaken a play-off rival which I'm all for.

We really ought to push the boat out for Conn-Clarke. It'd massively derail Alty's play-off push and potentially exploit an opportunity. Wouldn't be cheap, but a calculated gamble.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:58 PM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Assuming we're talking the National League promotion, I took a look at team that played Boreham Wood in the play off final, and discounted those that had either retired or were last seen playing for their local pub. It left these:

Oliver Norburn (Midfield) - 31yo Now captain at Blackpool. Rule him out.
Andy Cook (Forward) - 33yo Now at Bradford and a regular starter. Rule him out.
Josh Ginnelly (Midfielder) - 26yo Now at Swansea City. Out for rest of season after injury in September. Rule him out.
Connor Jennings (Forward) - 32yo Still at Tranmere. Seems an ever present but you never know, could be a swap for Nuttall for example. Seems very similar to Willoughby too so I'd rank this as unlikely.
Liam Ridehalgh (Left Back) - 32yo Now at Bradford and a regular starter. I doubt a replacement for Kitching is high on the priority list myelf. Rule him out.
Emmanuel Monthe (Centre Half) - 28YO Now at Northampton. Certainly don't need any central defenders and the big man is a firm ficture at Northampton. Rule him out.

So let's look at the L1 Play-off final team, with similar parameters.

Keiron Morris (Winger) - 29yo Still at Tranmere. Was quoted as saying "I love it here" in May. Virtual ever present in their side this season and Mellon was quoted back then as "He's the best player in the league". Unlikely, but could be a target next season.
Ollie Banks (Midfielder) - 31yo Now at Chesterfield. You've got to do some crazy mental gymnastics to expect Ollie to slap in a transfer request, leave the actual HMS Pisstheleague to come to the team who's fans were having Twitter rows with his dad.

Harvey Gilmour (Midfielder) - 24yo Now at Rochdale. Well, he wouldn't have to move far, after all. Signed a two year deal last summer and has played all season. I can't see us a) paying a big fee to prize him away and b) him leaving on loan in the middle of a play-off chase.
Ben Pringle (Midfielder) - 34yo Now at Fleetwood United in the UAE. Disturbingly, he seems the most likely candidate. Loads of experience, a creative midfielder and probably affordable on a short-term deal. He seemed a bit past it when he came on loan 5-6 years ago despite still being in his twenties but it was two divisions further up. Possible. 

Saw Gilmour play for Dale yesterday. Very tidy player, keeps the ball and likes to pick a pass forward. Would definitely improve us.

• Matt unfeatured this topic