1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Surely that's at best bad sportsmanship and at worst cheating. 

I remember some of our fans being outraged at LJ for suggesting the ball boys weren't getting the ball back to our players fast enough..

I thought at the time it was a fair comment. Bonkers that it would probably be one of the most obvious things to do now. I bet some clubs have ball-boy coaches now, don't they??

Cheating?  At football?  Whatever next...  Great when our team does it, less so when others do!v

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Cheating?  At football?  Whatever next...  Great when our team does it, less so when others do!v

I mean there's cheating and there's cheating. What are they going to do next? Nick the opposition's football boots and throw them in the crowd?

22 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

During radio commentary yesterday it was mentioned that, with Arsenal this season, we jointly hold the PL record for the most goals scored in a season from corners.  Remarkable if true!

Rick Holden?

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

The Arsenal set piece guy coached Ben White to undo the gloves of the Spurs keeper.  Now that's attention to detail...

Come to think of it, I've not seen a goalkeeper without gloves since the 1960s, I wonder how they'd cope without them these days?

I blame Sepp Maier who's gloves were longer than his arms.😁

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JoeP said:

I mean I think you're making it sound more complicated than it is...

As I say, Arsenal for example have the resources to spend money on set-piece coaches.  And why not?  If something they coach works once and it creates the goal that gets them into the Champions League then it'll be worth it to them financially.

But at the end of the day, it's just a corner.  Especially at our level, it needs little more variation than "get it in the mixer towards the big man"/don't hit it straight into the side-netting like Gardner did this season.  We shouldn't need to keep a manager for ten years before we learn how to take a corner....set piece coaches or no set-piece coaches.

I've gone down a rabbit hole here that I didn't need to go down.

The point Im trying to make is, I'd like to think that Corners and set pieces are the one thing that should be worked on both from an attacking and defensive point of view on the training ground. I don't think it's always as simple as hitting the best header of the ball as they will likely be marked or blocked from making a run. Ideally you want to make sure that he gets a run on the ball. That itself does require a certain level of planning of who runs where.

If you watch back Matt Smiths late headed goal against Everton you can clearly see James Tarkowski blocking Tim Howard coming for the ball if he doesn't do that he comes out and catches it before it gets to Smith that type of thing takes planning. 

When I used to sit in the main stand and you'd sit near scouts one of the things they most commonly took notes on was set pieces where the ball went and what players went where. Teams will prepare and plan to deal with us at set-pieces so it's important we put some thought into what we do.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I've gone down a rabbit hole here that I didn't need to go down.

The point Im trying to make is, I'd like to think that Corners and set pieces are the one thing that should be worked on both from an attacking and defensive point of view on the training ground. I don't think it's always as simple as hitting the best header of the ball as they will likely be marked or blocked from making a run. Ideally you want to make sure that he gets a run on the ball. That itself does require a certain level of planning of who runs where.

If you watch back Matt Smiths late headed goal against Everton you can clearly see James Tarkowski blocking Tim Howard coming for the ball if he doesn't do that he comes out and catches it before it gets to Smith that type of thing takes planning. 

When I used to sit in the main stand and you'd sit near scouts one of the things they most commonly took notes on was set pieces where the ball went and what players went where. Teams will prepare and plan to deal with us at set-pieces so it's important we put some thought into what we do.

I'm still not sure that Bouzanis didn't punch it in :)

6 hours ago, JoeP said:

I mean there's cheating and there's cheating. What are they going to do next? Nick the opposition's football boots and throw them in the crowd?

Probably move the ball by a yard when the ref's already put shaving foam down

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Probably move the ball by a yard when the ref's already put shaving foam down

David eyres when we got a free kick that wasnt quite in his range 

Plays keepy uppy  whilst the ref deals with their player manages to move up the pitch ten yards before ref turns around to take kick class