I moved from the Chaddy this year to the Ford Stand Paddock mostly to escape the wretched drum. It actually sounds worse from my new seat and at times is the only sound you can hear from the Chaddy as it drowns out those that you can see clapping. Far from adding to the atmosphere it detracts from it. I can't think of anything positive to say about it. Can it be replaced with a trumpet/bugle that the owner plays reveille ala the main stand bugler in days of yore?

Happy with my new seat, although I do despair at times. When I shouted 'ref you're a tit' the fella in front of me actually said, 'do you mind, this is the family stand.' When I pointed out that 'tit' was not a swear word, he replied 'it is the way you said it, I've got my grandson with me.' I shook my head and said 'we've all got 'em.'

Is 'tit' unacceptable in the Ford Stand? If so I'd be grateful if anybody with a better knowledge of what is unacceptable and what is the correct way to shout borderline acceptable pharases, could provide me with a list and phonetic intructions, so I avoid offending anybody at future matches.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved from the Chaddy this year to the Ford Stand Paddock mostly to escape the wretched drum. It actually sounds worse from my new seat and at times is the only sound you can hear from the Chaddy as it drowns out those that you can see clapping. Far from adding to the atmosphere it detracts from it. I can't think of anything positive to say about it. Can it be replaced with a trumpet/bugle that the owner plays reveille ala the main stand bugler in days of yore?

Happy with my new seat, although I do despair at times. When I shouted 'ref you're a tit' the fella in front of me actually said, 'do you mind, this is the family stand.' When I pointed out that 'tit' was not a swear word, he replied 'it is the way you said it, I've got my grandson with me.' I shook my head and said 'we've all got 'em.'

Is 'tit' unacceptable in the Ford Stand? If so I'd be grateful if anybody with a better knowledge of what is unacceptable and what is the correct way to shout borderline acceptable pharases, could provide me with a list and phonetic intructions, so I avoid offending anybody at future matches.

This is just going to 'cause trouble. Talking about the drummer that is.

With regards to the tit comment, I wouldn't say it's the worst word you could use, the guy should expect such language when he comes to a football match.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I have to send a heartfelt plea to the drummer!

STOP BANGING THAT DRUM!!!

It is done at completely the wrong time!

The minutes applause was ruined by the drum, why did he think it was appropriate to do it!

Timing is completely out, and using a drum is to start chants going, DONT CARRY ON!!

Rant Over!

I used to sit in the lookers, or whatever they wanna call it now! Me n my m8 had problems with our language. although when people complained and I started shouting insults in foreign languages they seemed quite confused. 1 guy inparticular used to have a problem with the things we said so we started calling people "lemons". everytime we shouted sumat he started turning round and the look on his face was something I won't forget when he turned round to moan and suddenly realised we had called the ref a lemon. he looked very confused, and realised there was nothing he could do. try that?

twonk was four seats behind me and yes i got a headache ten minuits in! cant drum to save his life needs to go and join a pipe band he just gets faster and faster cant keep a beat atall awfull . might have move now gonna try one of the paddocks tues as i do not want to subject my 7yo daughter to that on her first visit to BP

Edited by peanuts

Was it a new drum today? Sounded much better.

No it didn't. And the tool who beats it can :censored: . The Chaddy End's gain is not Oldham Yoof Orchestra's loss. If you're reading this mate, put the drum down. It's not that I don't like you personally - I am sure you're a little love just like your mum says - and it's not that drums are, in and of themselves, a bad thing. I want you to forget the drum because YOU HAVE NO TALENT.

No it didn't. And the tool who beats it can :censored: . The Chaddy End's gain is not Oldham Yoof Orchestra's loss. If you're reading this mate, put the drum down. It's not that I don't like you personally - I am sure you're a little love just like your mum says - and it's not that drums are, in and of themselves, a bad thing. I want you to forget the drum because YOU HAVE NO TALENT.

Drum does my head please give it a rest.

yep he may be trying to do something but how poo (even a mod can't swear) was the chaddy today... Swansea fans were impressive but it seemed like them against just the paddock. I know that we have had arguements regarding the noise from the chaddy and the roof etc .... but you KNOW when people are singing by their action and it just didn't happen in the Chaddy. My first time out of the Chaddy (well minus the many times in the boxes / directors when my dads mates were main stand sponsors) took lot of effort to comment on their simple comments ( will change once exile is back of hols). Not going to slat the drummer but what was he drumming to????????????

Sorry in this sounds negative its not ment to, afterall we snatched 3 points after not playing well which is what contenders need to do ..... it just after after the work the board and management team have put in later I was a little disapointed..... still onwards and upwards its a longggggg season

KTF

Mark

Overall i aint that fussed if people cant hear us, be better if they could but its still a good atmosphere to sing along in and be part of during the game.

Like at times last season, the drum has started to dictate the length of the chants, which are too short. It was better when the drummer persisted with long chants, resulting in blisters on his hand, for which I thanked him at the time. If he doesn't want to accompany long chants, he should leave the drum at home and join in the singing.

The singing stops when the fans get nervous. That's the time to sing and lift the players, but I know it's difficult to sing when your heart is in your mouth. For most of the second half we were under the cosh and the pressure told on the singers. It wasn't 'different class' but it was better than on many occasions last season.

We're not singing for people in the Lookers Paddock or the Main Stand. The players can hear us - that's what matters! :aplayer1::chubb::comeon:

Like at times last season, the drum has started to dictate the length of the chants, which are too short. It was better when the drummer persisted with long chants, resulting in blisters on his hand, for which I thanked him at the time. If he doesn't want to accompany long chants, he should leave the drum at home and join in the singing.

The singing stops when the fans get nervous. That's the time to sing and lift the players, but I know it's difficult to sing when your heart is in your mouth. For most of the second half we were under the cosh and the pressure told on the singers. It wasn't 'different class' but it was better than on many occasions last season.

We're not singing for people in the Lookers Paddock or the Main Stand. The players can hear us - that's what matters! :aplayer1::chubb::comeon:

the singers in the chaddy are great,and have great chants,however the drum is spoiling a lot of peoples experience at games.

we have just had the opening game of the season,and people are moaning now about the drum,what will it be like halfway through the season.

if people feel so strongly about it and dont want it,dont moan on here,email the club and do something about it.

after all the backing the owners have given shez for this season,i doubt they would be too happy if people were staying away because of a drum.

does this lad bring the drum in with him or does he leave it somewhere at the back of the chaddy, if so can someone accidently drop something heavy on it or just put their foot through it.must admit it sounded awful yesterday and drowns the singers out who are trying to lift the team.ktf.

in respect of the language in the lookers i have sat in the upper tier for years and yes i swear more than i should but no one seems to bother. you have probably been just a bit unlucky sitting near someone who likes to hear the sound of his own voice.

as for the singing i sit near the chaddy end than the rochdale road end and the noise/acoustics form their is far far better.

to be honest i can hear the noise from the chaddy end, but sadly it doesnt happen, this is supposed to be the focal point of our singing and sorry but if we are not 3 nil up in the first twenty minutes it doesnt happen, i would love to get a chant going all round the ground like we do for away games when it is non-stop for ninety minutes no matter what the score.

dont see why home matches cant be the same

Edited by neiladamsheadband

So overall what we are saying is that we now have two seperate sections of the gound at different ends of the pitch that are singing, making noise and getting behind the team .... that'll do for me.

The next step is to create the backs against the wall noise we have at aways games that helped turn results in our favour (Leyton and Scunny certainly spring to mind) to our home games.

i would love to get a chant going all round the ground like we do for away games when it is non-stop for ninety minutes no matter what the score.

dont see why home matches cant be the same

The next step is to create the backs against the wall noise we have at aways games that helped turn results in our favour (Leyton and Scunny certainly spring to mind) to our home games.

I agree with both of you that this is what is needed, but it's impossible to recreate at home the 'different class' singing that Shez refers to at away games, unless all the same 'away' people are going to occupy the same area at BP. Even then there wouldn't be the same willingness to get involved in the 'us against the world' scenario that results from travelling a distance together and drinking together before the game. - sometimes including a singing rehearsal in the pub! :OWTB1:

Let's face it away games are a great day out - a great social occasion - and there is a greater sense of being part of the Latics' cause than sitting at BP with the familiarity which often brings contempt.

It's quite normal for away fans to outsing home fans because their singers are all sat/stood together, and even people who I know don't sing at home are willing to lend their voices to the cause away from home.

The best we can hope for at home is that the few dedicated singers will not admit defeat and will keep doing their bit to lift the team, regardless of whether Latics' fans in other parts of the ground continue to say they can't be heard. The players can hear the singing and they say it makes a difference to them. :zigga::bluearmy::comeon:

I have to conclude that the drum isn't making the singing any better - if anything it's restricting it - but we do need to drum up more singers! The more voices the louder we'll get. :ktf:

spot on there diego, would be good if we could start getting it going all round the ground, would be good if we could have a scoreboard that worked to, flash up a line i.e OH WHEN THE BLUES which could start the process - not sure if anyone else has heard but heard a rumour we wee getting on?

anyway in the mean time would be good if everyone joined in when a certain part of the ground started off a chant

we have a few round us that do i.e lieutenat pigeon, alangrovesperm, rclegg and others whose names i dont know do join in

need to get an atmosphere goin for hom games, cause the away games are truly awesome.