Saleable Assets...

BigfinLatic

Would ya/wouldnt ya?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. The options

• Sell Taylor and Eardley ASAP to Raise Cash
    • Keep them both - they are the future of our club!
    • Hold them for a bit longer - thier value will increase!
    • Just sell eardley - Tbh, he is going at some point!
    • Sell Chrissy taylor - he wont make the grade!

I Was thinking to myself how to improve this latics team, what players i would get rid of, and a long term strategy for sucess, and for me... the obvious, if rather sad, answer is to cash in on Eardley and Taylor - sooner rather than later...

Ok.. this is not going to be tomorrow - well, it cant be as the transfer window is closed, but If I was Shez, i'd be looking to sell these boys within the next year. For me, Eardley could fetch close if not exactly £1m... and Chrissy Taylor is worth what - £500k to £750k.... that is £1.5m in hard cash. If we get planning permission for the ground that will stabilise funding... so taking off the £500k we have lost for Porter on the balance sheets.. that is £1m shez can have to spend... just think what he could do with that money.....

I also say this for footballing reasons... not because i dont think they are valuable members of the team - they are... but I just think we need a different type of player.... the reasons for me are:

1. I just dont see any improvement from last season... this does not man they aren't good players, but I just think they should be sold before they stagnate... and the value dips... this is as much for thier careers too... for me, Lomax and Smalley look easily as good prospects at our level - as does Ashley Kelly

2. We need stronger, more able players int he wide positions - more rugged lower division types... not asking for the world, but maybe 2 or 3 £100k players.... I dont hink either will survive a full season with confidence in Div 3...

3. We need more squad depth - think about £1m could do..

4. Eardley definitely will not be playing for us in 2 or three season time... and for me.. his value will not increase... lets cash in now, and get a player for now... not the future...

I really think we need to leave the sentiment behind and make some money on these guys - if we get another offer for either in the transfer window I would snatch at it.... this is not me reacting to a relatively inconsistent start to the season... just lonng term thinking...

Or citeh could just sell richards!! This is purely what the money could do fo our club - for me £1.5m is more appealing that both in the squad... and if given to shez, would do greater good for our club in the long run....

I Was thinking to myself how to improve this latics team, what players i would get rid of, and a long term strategy for sucess, and for me... the obvious, if rather sad, answer is to cash in on Eardley and Taylor - sooner rather than later...

To get two more promising players like Eardley and Taylor would probably cost us more than 1.5million, i think our best bet is for Chelski to keep playing crap and for them to panic buy in January with 25 million for Richards. That will then release enough funds to strenghthen the squad for the run in

I think we should keep them both. They may not look much better than last season but we are only a few games in so lets not throw to the lions just yet. Maybe sell Eardley in January if he does not improve but i think Taylor should only be sold if we are offered a high amount for him.

If we sold 'em then we would have the hassle of trying to replace 'em... So I reckon we're better off keeping them. Simple as that.

We are gonna have to replace them someday - what i am saying is sell them now, when they are at the height of thier value... and not take the risk of it dropping - highly doubt you are gonna get more than thier current value, defenders and midfielders do not go for that much out of our division....

... and I am not throwing anyone to the lions... I have said how important they are to our side... however, i think the money is more value... and I think people would be surprised how easy they are replaced... think they are worth £1.5m... but you could replace them easily with £500k.... players are availaible... its the money that is not...

The thought of selling any of our half decent players - or even being without them or half decent replacements for a couple of weeks - makes me shiver... I reckon what we need most is the team we have now to gel and click into gear.

If we start moving up the table and the lads play better, it's not going to do their value any harm whether we want to sell them or not...

I don't agree as we sell too many promising players and when we do we usually get next to nothing for them. The thing that these two want more than anything else is a break, they're both young lads and have played under the spotlight for over a season now and it's begining to take its toll.

I'd put Lomax at right back for a spell and see what he can do, if he makes the grade then fine as it's about time we found out. As for Taylor, after his rest, he's got to be given a try wide on the right which is supposedly his natural position and then, as many people have posted recently, push Bertrand on to the left flank and try and get Gidding for another couple of months to slot in at left back where he has looked pretty useful.

Liddle needs to come off the bench like he did against Swansea where he changed the game in the last quarter and I think he should share the right wing job with Taylor who I also think lacks a bit of fitness and tends to play well only in patches.

Trotman has to be given his chance in place of Thompson who for me has been very dissapointing and needs a spell in the reserves to try and get a bit of confidence back as every time he gets the ball or has to make a challenge he looks frightened to death ( ala Forbes )

If we are going to play two central midfielders then it has to be Kilkenny when fit with Kalala or Allott and McDonald available from the bench.

It will be interesting what formation Shezza plays when the three strikers are fit as none of them have come to keep the bench warm, and he may adopt a 4 3 3 or move Davies wide right and continue 4 4 2.

Yes, we've had a poor start yet again but when everybody's fit we have a good squad of players who are able to play in a variety of formations. We've had some daunting early fixtures against Swansea who I think will possibly be in one of the automatic positions, away at Carlisle where we should have got at least a point, and two games against promoted teams (who always seem to do well early on in the season), with settled sides on good winning runs.

With our settled best eleven I still think we are good enough to mount a serious promotion challenge and come the Christmas fixtures we'll up there in the chasing pack. KTF.

I understand your thinking BigFin and I think that any decent offer for any of our players will be that much more likely to be accepted after what happened with Porter. However, if we sold these two, I doubt we would raise £1.5M at the moment and Shez aint going to see more than a few £100k to get replacements and strengthen - once we have covered some of our losses for the year/following year. Plus we have to work within the wage limit, to which we are probably pretty close.

You can generate some cash but look how the money-bags teams in this league fail to get out of it. You dont need all that much - just be strong, organised and have one or two players with that extra something. It doesnt have to cost that much - look at Hoolahoop and Morrell or Joe Murphy and even Billy Sharp.

Yes they will leave anyway, at least I think Eardley will. But lets see how much they can improve and how far they can take us in the meantime. Recent performances not so promising but give them a chance, Taylor may rediscover himself down the right and Eardley will get more confidence as the back four sort themselves out.

Guest sheridans_world
We are gonna have to replace them someday - what i am saying is sell them now, when they are at the height of thier value... and not take the risk of it dropping - highly doubt you are gonna get more than thier current value, defenders and midfielders do not go for that much out of our division....

We have already changed enough personell for one season thank you very much! A chopped and changed team doesnt win promotion a steady and settled team wins it.

However I can see where you are coming from and while i think it would be tough to replace Eardley (his pin-point wing-to-wing crosses are brilliant and always spot on) we can find someone to do the job.

On the other hand, selling your best players is not a good tactic. Not so long ago i remember us having to sell a player a season just to stay afloat, dont want to get back into that habit when you dont need to. Especially with your two highest rated assets.

To get two more promising players like Eardley and Taylor would probably cost us more than 1.5million, i think our best bet is for Chelski to keep playing crap and for them to panic buy in January with 25 million for Richards. That will then release enough funds to strenghthen the squad for the run in

City dont need the cash anymore.....

Keep em both - they have just had their first season and were both brill - under Shezza they will just get better and better - (As long as we have em on long long contracts so we can't get pillaged again!)

We need to keep them both and build a team around them

We have a very good youth set up will more players to come through.

Trotman looks to be the next off the line!!!

The time to cash in would have been last winter, when we were creaming everyone in the league. We could have got over £2m for Taylor, Porter and Eardley then no problem. But at the time it would have looked crazy, wouldn't it? If a big offer comes in, then no doubt one or other at least will go, but I wouldn't go looking to make it happen.

I don't agree as we sell too many promising players and when we do we usually get next to nothing for them. The thing that these two want more than anything else is a break, they're both young lads and have played under the spotlight for over a season now and it's begining to take its toll.

I'd put Lomax at right back for a spell and see what he can do, if he makes the grade then fine as it's about time we found out. As for Taylor, after his rest, he's got to be given a try wide on the right which is supposedly his natural position and then, as many people have posted recently, push Bertrand on to the left flank and try and get Gidding for another couple of months to slot in at left back where he has looked pretty useful........

With our settled best eleven I still think we are good enough to mount a serious promotion challenge and come the Christmas fixtures we'll up there in the chasing pack. KTF.

Agree with every damn word you say here - great post....

I think people are strting to misread what I say, I am not saying sell them tomorrow, just maybe at the end of the season - or January at a very big push.... and, with regard to what Shez has to spend... I put in the caveat of planning permission being agreed, which will stabilise finances, meaning in theory, and incomings (minus the porter loss) will go back into the team....

I would love to keep these guys - I really would, I just think that realism has to take over, and we have to be lookin g at maximising our profit... for me, Chrissy Taylor could be a Latic for life, and will happily fit in, and possibly never really reach his full potential... if the lad isnt sold to a higher standard in the next 2 years... as for Eardley, he is gone - 2 seasons tops... just think we might aswell get the money sooner rather than later.... and for me RB is not a problem position with Lomax and Thommo who can play there...

I also think that we hav some great talent coming through... and for me, when fit, i would have Smalley in the team ahead of Taylor at the moment... again, slightly devils advocate, but I think we have ample resource to replace these guys if needed as the next gen is coming through....

But - what oafc1955 says is spot on... however, still rather have the cash...

Seems a strange post since the Transfer window has now close until Jan ?

You wanna try reading my original post exile? :wink:

Ok.. this is not going to be tomorrow - well, it cant be as the transfer window is closed, but If I was Shez, i'd be looking to sell these boys within the next year.
Edited by BigfinLatic

Guest oa_exile

This club has and will always be a selling Club IF the right offer comes in , any of our players will be sold.

We may not feel that the offer is correct but the Club need to balance the books so they will deem it be correct.

Last season it was bantered about of the value of Eardley (£1M) , Taylor (£750K) and Porter (£600K).

I am sure we could start a thread on players over the years that we as fans have deemed as "Given away".

Goram , Irwin , Fitz Hall .................... to name a few.

Guest oa_exile
You wanna try reading my original post exile? :wink:

QUOTE( @ Sep 4 2007, 09:56 AM)

Ok.. this is not going to be tomorrow - well, it cant be as the transfer window is closed, but If I was Shez, i'd be looking to sell these boys within the next year.

Sorry Bud :blush:

Exile Note to self : Read the whole thread :angry:

Are we really going to get £1.5million for these two. If it happened today then no and as you have reiterated BigFin you aren't suggesting then they wouldn't fetch that much. Selling them at the end of the season? It depends how good a season we have if we win promotion and they are a focal point of that then offers will come in.

I for one think that league 1 is their level at the moment in the future maybe they will go on to grace a bigger stage but we have seen young players come through the youth ranks and look promising only for that promise to fade away and they spend the rest of their careers in the footballing backwaters.

I don't think their value has peaked yet at all lets keep hold of them then for now. Their maybe a time to sell them now now isn't it.

After the Porter situation if a really decent offer came in they would be sold. The owners have said this in the past. That said, I dont belive for a second its good for this club in anyway at all to sell either of these too unless a really decent offer came in. Not point taking a couple of 100k for them....500k+ each..then maybe....

Some people are using comments like Taylor has been "found out" other such rubbish. He is a young lad and will go through dips in form but we couldnt get anything better without spending some real money, making a sale pointless unless it was large. Same goes for Eardly.

Taylor has been "found out" in the sense that other managers have noticed that he needs close marking, with the oppo often doubling up their wide midfielder and full back on him when he gets the ball. The way to deal with this is to have a good full back behind him that can overlap, but neither charlton nor aljofree was pacy enough to do this, and the current choices aren't good enough either. Marc Tierney?