Dean Smalley

Smalley looked uncomfortable out wide on saturday, but by the time he came inside where he seems more useful, it was too late as his confidence was already shot. He has a great future ahead of him and is a very capable player, but he was having a bad day and Sheridan should have subbed him earlier, before doing further damage to his confidence.

Sheridan's comments last night that a certain section behind him don't know better than him was a ridiculous thing to say, as he implied that they were on Smalley's back throughout the game, when in fact the moaning seemed to be entirely aimed at JS and his inability to recognise when a youngster was in danger of having his confidence totally shattered - it doesn't take a coaching badge to see that.

I for one am fed up of reading Sheridan's post game comments saying we weren't good enough every week, and watching him stand on the touchline yelling (Sometimes abusively) at his players throughout every game with very little in the way of a pat on the back for a good pass or run into space. Sheridan's art of confidence building is no better than the boo boys he berates.

It is totally pointless having a go at Smalley for a bad game when the manager is the one who is keeping him out on the pitch subjecting him to more humiliation.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not McDonald? Why not? He was the worst player on the pitch today and it amazed me that Shez saw that as I did, as McD has been a favourite of his of late. And to be fair, McD has earned the shirt lately but he was shocking today for me. Shame, but t'was the case.

Got to disagree on this one, thought macca was possibly our only effective midfielder on Satdi. I wanted Smalley off coz I felt for him, he seemed to be really struggling and thought Shezza could have put him out of his misery earlier - I didnt boo though! Would love to have seen Woolfy come on on left wing and Tayls moved to right side - would have caused a new set of problems!

Got to disagree on this one, thought macca was possibly our only effective midfielder on Satdi. I wanted Smalley off coz I felt for him, he seemed to be really struggling and thought Shezza could have put him out of his misery earlier - I didnt boo though! Would love to have seen Woolfy come on on left wing and Tayls moved to right side - would have caused a new set of problems!

Wow, this just goes to show how differently people see the game.

I'm like BB80. I thought he was poor and deservedly got substituted. They were running through our midfield at will when he made the substitution. I'd have had him off a bit earlier to be honest.

People seem to be picking up on Sheridan's mistakes, but on Saturday I reckon he was pretty spot on with all his changes (with what he has at hand). At the start of the second half, Smalley was causing them problems, just his confidence started taking great big dives when all the idiots started on him, so i wouldn't have removed him too much earlier.

And if people couldn't see Hughes tiring, then I give in.

it makes me p/iss this page my god the lads 19 he has played 4 games and today was the first time i have seen him play badly give the guy a :censored: chance for gods sake

Keep the language off the board dobxal. Mt daughter and son read this page. If you can't say it without resorting to this typing just to get your expletives past the censor then don't say anything at all.

Keep the language off the board dobxal. Mt daughter and son read this page. If you can't say it without resorting to this typing just to get your expletives past the censor then don't say anything at all.

My thoughts on smalley are simple, young lad, struggling, time will tell, give him time, loan out if he continues to struggle.....boo boys shut up!

Nothing more to say really!

:)

Edited by oafc0000

The simple fact was he was very poor on Saturday and should of been subbed long before he did. I for one think he'll come good but he needs time to develop. He has pace and skill, the only thing he needs to really bring on is the mental aspect of his game which will come in time, he panics alot which is the reason why he is missing easy chances, you could see several times on Saturday that when he was put under pressure he gave the ball away very cheaply or missed an easy goalscoring opportunity.

Those who are saying he isn't good enough need to wake up, he is a young lad in his first season and i'd much rather have a young lad who is willing to put the effort in and work hard than some of the other so called pros in the team who consistantly let the side down with poor performances.

Keep going Smalley, it'll come together soon lad.

He has pace and skill, the only thing he needs to really bring on is the mental aspect of his game which will come in time, he panics alot which is the reason why he is missing easy chances, you could see several times on Saturday that when he was put under pressure he gave the ball away very cheaply or missed an easy goalscoring opportunity.

Quoted the above part of your post because doesn't that sound very very similar to another member of our squad......one who without, we would be severly :censored:ed at the moment and probably bottom of the league! Quite ironic that some were having a go at Davies not long ago....now it's Smalley.

Some are saying loan Smalley out "if he continues to struggle"......continues??? 3 good games, 1 off game.....he'd have to have 3 or 4 bad ones in a row before that happens IMO. Which won't happen....because the lads got talent and will show it.

Edited by boundaryblue80

He stands out from the game at Orient, and Port Vale for playing poorly. I cant really remember how he performed in the others hence i come to the conclusion he wasn't poor or great in the others.

I don't recall people saying he was poor at Orient at all...and at Tranmere he had a great game.

I don't recall people saying he was poor at Orient at all...and at Tranmere he had a great game.

he wasn't poor on Satdi. You don't become a poor player for 90 minutes when you abviously have talent. Everybody agrees on that point. His confidence went early in the game due to a couple of poor touches. (Which everyone can have) Sheriden then compounded the problem for the lad by leaving him on the pitch to receive abuse from the moron element of the fans. He will probably bounce back but he shouldn't have been left in this position. At least I hope he is able to bounce back because he has pace and power.

:mainstand:

Edited by happyterryb

He's only played striker for a couple of years, since Spencer went to Everton and left a gap.

It may turn out to be where he's best, but I'm just saying he's played right wing for the vast majority of his footballing life.

That's true. Scored the goals at youth level but only as a stand in after Spencer had gone. I can't see after a few games how people have come to the conclusion he's not this that or the other. Give him a chance.