Dean Smalley

i dont think dean smalley is good enouh to get 90minutes in an oldham shirt.

His second half performances are not good enough, but Sheridan keeps on leaving him on and taking off players who are playin better thn him.

Just like to no what you think on the situation ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His second half performances are not good enough, but Sheridan keeps on leaving him on and taking off players who are playin better thn him.

We had no other option to be honest Liddell is injured....The mistake was Sheridan not bringing any wingers at the beginning of the season. But i agree Smalley did look a little poor today and didnt seem eager....How many sitters is he going to miss for us too??

Edited by Blue_Guru

smalley wasnt good enough all game, not just in the second half, but ya cant blame the lad. against tranmere he was upfront, against donni on the left and against vale on the right. you cant expect a player of his age to be able to adapt that easily. Sheridan was very much at fault today. with Liddell injured now is the perfect opportunity to give taylor a run at right wing (although admittedly taylor had his best game on the left for a long time today) Shez needs to think long and hard about his selections if you ask me. Smalley should be no where near the first team imo.

Edited by philliggi

smalley wasnt good enough all game, not just in the second half, but ya cant blame the lad. against tranmere he was upfront, against donni on the left and against vale on the right. you cant expect a player of his age to be able to adapt that easily. Sheridan was very much at fault today. with Liddell injured now is the perfect opportunity to give taylor a run at right wing (although admittedly taylor had his best game on the left for a long time today) Shez needs to think long and hard about his selections if you ask me. Smalley should be no where near the first team imo.

smalley is 19 year old and still learning the game properly and people expect too much from him. today he was being critisised every time he got a touch, and yeah i admit it wasnt his day today, however every time he got the ball he had eddi and the left back on him not giving him any time what so ever.

also i thought it was awful to see oldham fans cheering him off when he got subbed it was pathetic and shows us up. i speak to dean all the time and ive just told him to ignore what the crowd say and just concentrate on his game.

give the lad a chance. when he gets time on the ball he will show you what hes about. he loves takin players on and gettin the ball in the box. i no what you mean about the sitters though and that is gettin to the lad aswell.

he is a very optomistic player wants to do well for the club

stick by the lad

He's a young player finding his way in the game. Or is this another one we're going to be quick to right off. Give him time, he's a kid not an experienced professional.

A call from a lad of "I hope you're injured Smalley!" after he put the chance he had over the bar got him loads of abuse back. Not everyone is on his back, just needs a touch of luck.

when we get are wingers back i it would be good to give him a loan spell at rochdale or someone like that .

This will then give him more first team experience and he will learn more.

This league is hard league for someone so yound to shine in , so he might do better in league 2 ?

when we get are wingers back i it would be good to give him a loan spell at rochdale or someone like that .

This will then give him more first team experience and he will learn more.

This league is hard league for someone so yound to shine in , so he might do better in league 2 ?

yeah might work out better if he went out on loan and hes deffo got potential. just dont need dicks booin him

He was garbage today. Yes he's a kid but he's still gettin paid to play football. How many golden opportunities will he miss. He had the first touch of an elephant today, just because he's young you cant ignore every bad thing he does. And today there were an awful lot of bad things from him

He was garbage today. Yes he's a kid but he's still gettin paid to play football. How many golden opportunities will he miss. He had the first touch of an elephant today, just because he's young you cant ignore every bad thing he does. And today there were an awful lot of bad things from him

taylor was poor as was kilkenny so why not call them? instead oldham fans pick out 1 player once again

I'm not picking out one player. Kilkenny was gash, maybe due to him bein out on the lash last nite. Taylor was better today than he has been in recent weeks. But Smalley was very poor today. Nothing against the lad but today he looked well out of his depth, and later on even his effort was questionable

I'm not picking out one player. Kilkenny was gash, maybe due to him bein out on the lash last nite. Taylor was better today than he has been in recent weeks. But Smalley was very poor today. Nothing against the lad but today he looked well out of his depth, and later on even his effort was questionable

just spoke to smalley on the phone hes really down as expected he was really disapointed with his performance, shez as told him to keep his chin up and get ready for the next game. also said dont listen to the fans.

Lad is still a kid still learning his trade.

Agreed, but the positon we are in Smalley isn't the man/boy we need,If Hughes was on for the full 90(don't give me that he's not match fit).We would have won 2-1......and i am sober

just spoke to smalley on the phone hes really down as expected he was really disapointed with his performance, shez as told him to keep his chin up and get ready for the next game. also said dont listen to the fans.

Next time you speak, please tell him not all the fans are against him. Tell him that we expect him to improve, that we detest the boo-boys who won't give him a chance, that we are pleased to see Shez giving him a chance, and that he must keep his head up. Tell him that there are hundreds of us who are for him.

:cardinal:

I agree Sav. Hughes is a born goal scorer and would only needs a chance, even if not fully fit he will put away an open goal

I would have scored that one,the inch perfrect cross Rubes put in the dying minutes ,crying out for a head to get on the end of it,and only having 5 foot nothing players in the area,thats my moan

I've seen Smalley over three years now in the youths and stiffs. He is not a bad player and does know where the net is. Sure he had a poor game today, as did more experienced players. Booing is very very poor, much poorer than Deano's performance. If we didn't have so few to choose from currently Deano would be gettin the ideal 1st team feel being brought on for 10/15 mins here and there. Don't write him off just yet. Anyone remember Deano beating his man to the byline making a super cross for Davies to net earlier this season?

I aint writing him off and I do remember that cross. I also remember 4 or 5 open nets he has missed. The more disappointing thing today though was he got down and stopped going for everything. Even if he's having a stinker and fans are getting on his back he should be giving it his all and going into every challenge

I was lucky enough to be invited into the Player's Lounge after the game today with my 3 lads.

The general feeling appears to be that the Players prefer to play away from home. I wonder why?

The abuse of Smalley today was sickening. I was ashamed to have to explain to my bemused children why a young lad in his first proper Season was getting booed by grown adults.

He's man enough to know and admit that he played poorly today. In my eyes, that makes him 100 times better than the numpties in the Stand who chose to jeer and cat-call.

Next time you speak, please tell him not all the fans are against him. Tell him that we expect him to improve, that we detest the boo-boys who won't give him a chance, that we are pleased to see Shez giving him a chance, and that he must keep his head up. Tell him that there are hundreds of us who are for him.

:cardinal:

Well said that man! Time was not so long ago we were begging for some of the youngsters to be given a chance. Now Shez does exactly that and they get pilloried for one poor performance! He's every right to be disappointed with his display today, but he was good enough at the start of the season to force himself into the reckoning ahead of Wolfie and Allessandra, and that talent is still there. He's strong, he's quick, has an eye for goal, and can do a job in at least two positions. All he needs is first team experience and to keep learning... and with that will come consistency.

Keep your chin up Deano, keep putting in the hard work, and befor eyou know it the boo boys will be cheering your name.

i agree with letting smalley having a run out in the team ,

but why sheridan keeps him on for song long i dont no why ?

in the 2nd half he seems to not be involved in the game , Sheridan just leaves him on though and takes off Hughes ?

The lad is in his first full season. It was disgraceful that his substitution was cheered. He had a bit of a stinker today, but we should be encouraging our young lads to keep going - not get on their backs. It doesn't help when the team is struggling, hopefully Hughesy will be firing soon because the amount of crosses that are going in without anyone on the end of them a player like hughesy should be in for a feast.

Smalley has the talent, he needs to add a bit more of the work ethic into his game and get his foot in where it hurts; that added to his obvious talent he has all the makings and the goals will come - he's just overeager now knwoing hes missed a few sitters.

Agree though he should ahve been brought off not McDonald or Hughes as it just wasnt the lads day.

At the end of the day hes a kid whos learning the big boys game now, he will come good he just needs a little nurturing and the balls to keep gonig no matter what the morons around say - i for one clapped him off because he wore the blue a shirt and put the effort in - i would rather have Deane Smalley playing for latics than Michael Ricketts for sure.