Dean Smalley

Agree though he should ahve been brought off not McDonald or Hughes as it just wasnt the lads day.

Not McDonald? Why not? He was the worst player on the pitch today and it amazed me that Shez saw that as I did, as McD has been a favourite of his of late. And to be fair, McD has earned the shirt lately but he was shocking today for me. Shame, but t'was the case.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BB80 by no stretch of the imagination was McD the worst player on thepitch, clean your glasses fella - Smalley was poor and shud have been off a lot sooner, Kilkenny did nothing other than give the ball away. Those two shud ahve been the first two off before anyone else.

Another point springs to mind with a number slating Deano for the number of misses. At least he's getting there to miss them! who else apart from Davies in the side is? oh and last week by the way it was Davies who needed dropping!!!

It's about time the home crowd stating getting that seige mentality cos the way this season is developing we're all in a mighty battle on and off the pitch.

Edited by Lags

I thought he was brilliant last week, and he wasn't amazingly poor today either.

Don't understand why so many people are on his back all of a sudden.

It was a matter of confidence. He's a young lad who's first touch let him down on Satdi. as a result his head went down and his game suffered. It's to be expected at his stage of development. However... Sheriden leaving him on the pitch after his confidence went damaged the lad even further. He (Sheriden) should be ashamed of himself. He stands on the touchline looking like one of the ball boys and arguing with the players. He should be encouraging players like Smalley and Davies, ( who, don't forget is a young lad himself) not getting into bloody arguments with them. I actually heard someone on the pitch call Sheriden a W****r today for the first time this season. It would appear he's losing the dressing room (if the players attitudes are anything to go by) and a section of the crowd. (If the comments being made behind me are anything to go by). I have repeatedly said that I consider Sheriden a journeyman coach at best but like many supporters don't know who we would replace him with if he went. Our younger players need encouragement and protection from the management team, not having Sheriden and Tommy Wright, (Who only comes running down the tunnel steps to issue a rollocking to one of the team) on their backs for the entire game. For 60 minutes against Doncaster and for 30 minutes against Port Vale yesterday we played some fantastic football. All on the deck with crisp passing and movement. Taylors cross for Davies' goal on Satdi was sublime. Sheriden didn't even clap as Davies passed him on his way back to the centre circle. Something is very wrong.. :mainstand: Edited by happyterryb

Guest oa_exile

This thread again proves what i have been saying , it's not a time for the Club to be blooding the young kids.

Most of our seasoned professionals AGAIN not performing , dont take it out on the youngsters like Dean Smalley.

I am sure some of the treatment from the Fans yesterday did his confidence a power of good ............ NOT ! :(

Not McDonald? Why not? He was the worst player on the pitch today and it amazed me that Shez saw that as I did, as McD has been a favourite of his of late. And to be fair, McD has earned the shirt lately but he was shocking today for me. Shame, but t'was the case.

Don't you find it a little frustrating that Sheriden always subsitues like for like. Takes off a midfielder and replaces him with a midfielder. Takes off a defender when we were crying out for someone to put their foot on ther ball and deliver decent ball to the front two. Why take Hughes off when he did. He wasn't looking knackered or playing any worse then Smalley. To my mind, Sheriden should have taken Hazell off as soon as Vale took their No 11 off and put another attacking player on.

Edited by happyterryb

Not good enough, or struggling to adjust to the pace of first team football?

The latter, imo, and he ain't going to adjust any quicker with the crowd on his back. As I shouted at some of those booing yesterday " Give the lad a :censored: break"

I know some OWTB members are in contact with Dean. I hope they can pass on to him that many of us really appreciate the effort he's putting in and are willing him to succeed.

Edited by oafc_ok

Not good enough, or struggling to adjust to the pace of first team football?

The latter, imo, and he ain't going to adjust any quicker with the crowd on his backs. As I shouted at some of those booing yesterday " Give the lad a :censored: break"

I know some OWTB members are in contact with Dean. I hope they can pass on to him that many of us really appreciate the effort he's putting in and are willing him to succeed.

Totally agree.

I bet these were the same idiots calling for Lidds to be dropped in favour of Smalley a couple of weeks ago. Probably the same ones who are constantly slagging off other teenagers like Taylor; Eardley and Bertrand.

Smalley deserves our support not criticism.

Don't you find it a little frustrating that Sheriden always subsitues like for like. Takes off a midfielder and replaces him with a midfielder. Takes off a defender when we were crying out for someone to put their foot on ther ball and deliver decent ball to the front two. Why take Hughes off when he did. He wasn't looking knackered or playing any worse then Smalley. To my mind, Sheriden should have taken Hazell off as soon as Vale took their No 11 off and put another attacking player on.

at last someone has picked up on this good spot terry b this was all i was winging about on the way home - you knicked my thread off me there -

he does do that hoping that the sub will change it - very very rare would he make a tatical sub

on comments - KIlkenny is not doing wot he should be and it is the midfield who are simply not good enough at the moment and for me one of the main reasons why it is not always happening, not sure wot kilkeny is trying to do.

Taylors balll with his left foot was certainly his best cross form that side of the pitch so proves he can do it and one the best crosses ive seen for some time

smalley did not have a good game yesterday - but he looked nervous to me? when he has come off the bench he has looked good and i for one think he will do ok - but it was said not the time to blood youngsters but when is the time?? the main players are not 100% convincing so wot does shez have to lose in starting him

People have been saying Smalley should be playing instead of Liddell for a while and now he starts a game and all he gets is abuse, its pathetic. Yesterday was not his best performance (tho i think he plays better as a striker than as a winger anyway, despite his insistance on keep missing sitters at the moment!!) but it was one of his first start in a league game, coming into a struggling team - it was never going to be easy. Those people who booed him as he was walking off should be banned from Boundary Park, he's a young lad who is still learning his trade, give him a break

I did think Sheridans substition were a little strange to say the least. He brought on 2 defensive midfield players for an attacking midfielder and then for a striker when i thought we should have been going all out to get a 2nd goal. BB80 how you can think macca was our worst player is beyond me, he was one of our better performers today

Edited by Gemma06

People have been saying Smalley should be playing instead of Liddell for a while and now he starts a game and all he gets is abuse, its pathetic. Yesterday was not his best performance (tho i think he plays better as a striker than as a winger anyway) but it was his first start in a league game, coming into a struggling team - it was never going to be easy. Those people who booed him as he was walking off should be banned from Boundary Park, he's a young lad who is still learning his trade, give him a break

I did think Sheridans substition were a little strange to say the least. He brought on 2 defensive midfield players for an attacking midfielder and then for a striker when i thought we should have been going all out to get a 2nd goal

well sed Gemma - are all the liddell booers the same set of people that booed smalley off yesterday - out of order(forgot to put that in original post) i for one marched yesterday for the club and im sure some of them did as well- then they go and act like that - should be ashamed

Edited by neiladamsheadband

...I'm not defending Shez's choice of who he took off yesterday, I think he got that wrong. But I do just want to defend this 'never a tactical sub' thing that always seems to get levelled by fans (not just us) when a result doesn't go. Yesterday as we were having a lot of pressure but just couldn't find a way through, Shez changed it to 4-3-3 with his sub of Mcdonald - Allott being the holding mid with KK and Taylor (who then came back into the game)playing just in front and hughes, smalley and davies up front. He then changed hughes for wolfy pushing smalley more to the centre and finally the sub of smalley (which I think was mis-timed for the poor lad) was to go narrower with KK playing in behind wolfy and davies - therefore basically playing 3 at the back (trotters, stam and Kalala) with everyone else pushed up the field.

Looks like he was trying to me - as I said I do question whether the personnel were the right ones, but that was the most tactical subs I've ever seen Shez make in one game. I still believe that it just a matter of time and some of the other personnel being back in and around the team, fit and firing, and these last few months of toil will pay off big time...chin up!

well sed Gemma - are all the liddell booers the same set of people that booed smalley off yesterday - out of order(forgot to put that in original post) i for one marched yesterday for the club and im sure some of them did as well- then they go and act like that - should be ashamed

To be honest, I don't think anyone who marched will have acted like that (sweeping statement, but the type to go and march are the type who try to do everything they can for the club to succeed)....it was probably the other 3,800 who came along who had a portion that acted like that.

As for those saying they can't believe I feel McD was the worst on the pitch....if someone can tell me a) what he did, that I missed, b.) whether he ever once ventured into the oppo's box on them "magificent" runs of his and c) why getting the ball and handing it right back to your oppo is considered acceptable....then maybe I'll understand why he wasn't so bad yesterday. At least Smalley was trying to make things happen and was there to miss a great chance.....McD went back to the usual :censored:ness yesterday. But he's earned the shirt recently, so I wouldn't drop him, but would make it clear that another performance like that and he's in danger of the chop....he's allowed to have a bad game if he's earnt the shirt. But plain and simple fact is, he was utterly anonymous and void in the game yesterday.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Every time Liddell is out of the team, we look sort of disjointed in attack. His influence in games goes further than his assists I think. Smalley looked like he wasn't quite sure of his position yesterday, perhaps not helped by several others not making runs for him. He did nearly dribble past 13 men and with luck could have finished what would have been one of the finest solo goals ever at BP. I reckon the lad will come good, I think it's daft to get all worked up about him missing a few sitters - he's nervous and has choked a couple of times, it happens. I read an interview with Fabregas the other week, he was saying that he is playing exactly the same way as last year but is just more composed in front of goal - remember that one the other week that he controlled in the box? He said that last year he would have snatched at it and hit it over. Good job for Arsenal they didn't drive him out last season.

Every time Liddell is out of the team, we look sort of disjointed in attack. His influence in games goes further than his assists I think. Smalley looked like he wasn't quite sure of his position yesterday, perhaps not helped by several others not making runs for him. He did nearly dribble past 13 men and with luck could have finished what would have been one of the finest solo goals ever at BP. I reckon the lad will come good, I think it's daft to get all worked up about him missing a few sitters - he's nervous and has choked a couple of times, it happens. I read an interview with Fabregas the other week, he was saying that he is playing exactly the same way as last year but is just more composed in front of goal - remember that one the other week that he controlled in the box? He said that last year he would have snatched at it and hit it over. Good job for Arsenal they didn't drive him out last season.

Very true.

And don't forget also we had an unfit Centre Back playing behind Smalley yesterday in place of our regular Right Back. Quite often, Rubes forgot his position for the day and drifted into the middle particularly when Vale had free kicks in the first half.

It's easy to make excuses but to give him his due, Smalley never has. He said he played badly and was gutted. I'm sure he will have the strength of character to bounce back and I just hope the idiots give him a break.

We shouldn't be talking about this though. 3 starts in a position that he doesn't normally play and a kid is written off already. Unbelievable.

Like I said last night, is it any wonder the Players prefer away matches?

Just heard from someone I know about how upset Smalley really was on Saturday after he'd come off.

Another triumph for the boo boys. Then we have the same people calling for Alessandra to play. Yeah bet he can't wait to come on after seeing the treatment his mate is getting. :mad:

We raise some of the finest lower league talent going and then once they're on the pitch they're having their confidence that has come from winning games with the youth team (winning becomes a habit) destroyed in a few games.

unbelievable!!! "Drop Lidds..his legs have gone " cry the fans?!?! :huh: Bring the young guy Smalley in.............not even a handful of games later.......Ship him out on loan....He ain't good enough!!! Cry the same fans!!!!!

The lads looked qulaity in the reserves and sure his pace will eventually be an asset, the lad (and most of us sensible viewers) wouldn't have even contemplated seeing Smalley, Alessandra and Wolfy starting so soon in the season, yet they have pushed their way in on merit. If Smalley or any of them take time to adjust to first team football...surely no problems...maybe a couple of games back in the reserves/subs bench, when Lidds is back fit will improve his confidence again. The lad, like Taylor must be dying to do fantastically well for his home club.

Some people don't appreciate the step up from reserves to 1st team...time will tell for this lad!! not 4 games and a barrage of c r a p comments from clowns in the stands!!! :wacko:

I aint writing him off and I do remember that cross. I also remember 4 or 5 open nets he has missed. The more disappointing thing today though was he got down and stopped going for everything. Even if he's having a stinker and fans are getting on his back he should be giving it his all and going into every challenge

it makes me p/iss this page my god the lads 19 he has played 4 games and today was the first time i have seen him play badly give the guy a :censored: chance for gods sake

it makes me p/iss this page my god the lads 19 he has played 4 games and today was the first time i have seen him play badly give the guy a :censored: chance for gods sake

Here, here for gods sake whats wrong with people he is only a kid yet who looks a though he has a lot of promise. I think Shezz is trying to build a young team that will take us a long way but it is going to take time.

I would rather have home grown kids in that make odd mistake as long as they learn from it .Than some of the overpaid journeymen we have had over the last few seasons. The kids will learn and learn quick together,and in Shezz they have the right man to bring them on, but they have to be given chance.

This league is still wide open,remember Blackpool last year,lets not forget the number of players we have out injured at the moment,although I still think we need to replace Ricketts that said I think Hughes will fly after another couple of games and will push Davies all the way for top scorer.

Robert