Mastap's Post Re Councillor Harrison

Mastap - I've put this onto another Topic as I don't want the other one to get clogged up in a side debate.

I have a request and it could lead to us grabbing Front Page News in The Chron on Tuesday.

I don't want to go into detail but I believe it is vitally important that we find someone to stand against Councillor Philip Harrison in The Royton South Ward at the next Council Elections. His seat is up for re-election in May 2008.

What we need is someone who lives in that Ward who would be prepared to put themselves forward as an Independent Candidate.

Please, please, please think very deeply before putting your name forward. You will need to be prepared to work really hard over the coming months and also, if succesful, you will have a duty to work on behalf of all your constituents. It will mean meetings; surgeries; appearances etc. and will probably mean you have little free time.

In return, you will get a lot of the privileges given to a Local Councillor. You will also get total support in your Campaign for Election from myself and many others. That will include professional advice as to how to go about the job from people already involved in Council Business.

In other words, you would not be alone and will be helped and assisted.

We need to act quickly though. We have the manpower to make it happen and as we have seen so far, we really can make the difference.

Ideally, I would like to unveil this candidate on Monday afternoon in front of the Press. I will assist in the writing of any Press Releases and Speeches. I know there are hundreds of others who will help also in whatever way that they can.

If you are serious and interested, please PM me or email me at inspiral_carpet@owtb.co.uk. While it may not be a job for you, perhaps you are aware of someone who doesn't use the Messageboard who would be ideal. This isn't just about Latics and so the Candidate we choose may have other ambitions.

The main thing is to show Philip Harrison that he has real and serious competition for his seat in Royton South between now and next May.

I personally know Phil Harrison. And he himself is a Tics fan. astonishingly even as a councellor he is one of the few who would be happy for the plans to go ahead. Instead of waiting till May 08 to try and get an independent party in, why not try and get as many councellors that are currently in office, that support the tics, onside?.

I personally know Phil Harrison. And he himself is a Tics fan. astonishingly even as a councellor he is one of the few who would be happy for the plans to go ahead. Instead of waiting till May 08 to try and get an independent party in, why not try and get as many councellors that are currently in office, that support the tics, onside?.

Fair enough. He may be a fan but that is irrrelevant.

From the position that he has taken and the passionate speech that he made against the development on Wednesday, then he clearly is not in favour of the Application. He had the decency to declare his conflict of interest and so did not vote. Through his speech, he did however make it clear that he was not in favour of the Application and if it wasn't designed to sway the opinion of his fellow Councillors, then why would he bother?

This is just part of an overall stategy. As you will be aware, we are also trying to convice the Councillors who voted against the Application to change their decision at the next Planning Meeting. If they don't, it will have to go to an Independent Review at an Appeal and this may happen after May 2008.

By then it may be too late as far as TTA are concerned and Councillor Harrison may have to find another Team to "support".

Fair enough. He may be a fan but that is irrrelevant.

From the position that he has taken and the passionate speech that he made against the development on Wednesday, then he clearly is not in favour of the Application. He had the decency to declare his conflict of interest and so did not vote. Through his speech, he did however make it clear that he was not in favour of the Application and if it wasn't designed to sway the opinion of his fellow Councillors, then why would he bother?

This is just part of an overall stategy. As you will be aware, we are also trying to convice the Councillors who voted against the Application to change their decision at the next Planning Meeting. If they don't, it will have to go to an Independent Review at an Appeal and this may happen after May 2008.

By then it may be too late as far as TTA are concerned and Councillor Harrison may have to find another Team to "support".

On a point of information, he was not actually declaring an interest in the legal sense, as he was not there as a member of the Planning Committee. LIkewise he did not have a vote. He was allowed to speak as a Councillor and efffectively it gave the residents two bites at the cherry. Before he was allowed to speak a member of the Committee questioned whether to do so would be creating a precedent, which could make it difficult not to allow the same facility in future. The Chairman said that a precedent had already been created.

In my opinion Cllr Harrison's passionate statements to the Committee are likely to have swayed them more than the residents' representative's statements.

For the information of those not at the meeting, the residents' representative and Cllr Harrison each spoke for the maximum three minutes on each application = 12 minutes. Simon Corney spoke for his maximum three minutes on the first appication not realising he could speak again for another three minutes on the outline application. So when it came to the outline one, he just summed up the situation in a few seconds.

After the meeting Cllr Harrison made it clear that he did not want to speak to any of us. He sat in the foyer behind a newspaper until his lift arrived.

On a point of information, he was not actually declaring an interest in the legal sense, as he was not there as a member of the Planning Committee. LIkewise he did not have a vote. He was allowed to speak as a Councillor and efffectively it gave the residents two bites at the cherry. Before he was allowed to speak a member of the Committee questioned whether to do so would be creating a precedent, which could make it difficult not to allow the same facility in future. The Chairman said that a precedent had already been created.

In my opinion Cllr Harrison's passionate statements to the Committee are likely to have swayed them more than the residents' representative's statements.

For the information of those not at the meeting, the residents' representative and Cllr Harrison each spoke for the maximum three minutes on each application = 12 minutes. Simon Corney spoke for his maximum three minutes on the first appication not realising he could speak again for another three minutes on the outline application. So when it came to the outline one, he just summed up the situation in a few seconds.

After the meeting Cllr Harrison made it clear that he did not want to speak to any of us. He sat in the foyer behind a newspaper until his lift arrived.

I stand corrected and you are far more knowledgeable about the Council rules than me.

I'm sure you realised though Diego that Councillor Harrison wasn't actually put on the Clock when he spoke. In fact, his speech lasted about 10 minutes - for each of the Applications. I thought that strange at the time particularly as he kept repeating himself and I'm sure a few of his audience were yawning.

Clearly another "anomaly" from the proceedings on Wednesday.

I stand corrected and you are far more knowledgeable about the Council rules than me.

I'm sure you realised though Diego that Councillor Harrison wasn't actually put on the Clock when he spoke. In fact, his speech lasted about 10 minutes - for each of the Applications. I thought that strange at the time particularly as he kept repeating himself and I'm sure a few of his audience were yawning.

Clearly another "anomaly" from the proceedings on Wednesday.

As someone who did not keep track of the time on Wednesday evening (hence getting a parting ticket for overstaying my payment :angry: ) I accept that he spoke longer than he was supposed to do.

I'm sorry but what Mastap is saying is simply not true. Nothing against Mastap, I'm not calling you a liar, Phil Harrison may well have told you that but I can assure you if he did then he most definitely is lying.

I wouldn't describe my relationship with Phil Harrison as knowing him personally but I have met and conversed with him in a social rather than professional venue/environment on many occasions and not only doesn't he like Latics he doesn't like football full stop! I've heard his criticisms and apathy towards Latics first hand, so to suggest he is a fan is just simply not true.

I feel it is important I point that out so as campaigning Latics fans don't misinterpret Councillor Harrison's persuasion on the matter and fail to focus their campaign in the appropriate areas due to believing him to be a supporter which I assure you he is not.

I'm sorry but what Mastap is saying is simply not true. Nothing against Mastap, I'm not calling you a liar, Phil Harrison may well have told you that but I can assure you if he did then he most definitely is lying.

I wouldn't describe my relationship with Phil Harrison as knowing him personally but I have met and conversed with him in a social rather than professional venue/environment on many occasions and not only doesn't he like Latics he doesn't like football full stop! I've heard his criticisms and apathy towards Latics first hand, so to suggest he is a fan is just simply not true.

I feel it is important I point that out so as campaigning Latics fans don't misinterpret Councillor Harrison's persuasion on the matter and fail to focus their campaign in the appropriate areas due to believing him to be a supporter which I assure you he is not.

I'd imagine that he's used the line "I'm all for the Latics doing well" or something along them lines which has possibly made people think...oh, he is a fan of the club but just doesn't like the plans etc. Personally though, if he had said something along them lines to me, I'd think...yeah, stop talking through gritted teeth and trying to act as though you're being the supportive, understanding councillor that wants to be fair when really, you hate our guts and are happy to fight by any means for the residents and see our demise.

I know phil very well, and he is most definately a keen Latics follower! you are very much mis-informed! after speaking to Phill last night (and giving him a fair bit of stick) He has informed me and i'll even quote :blush: "I would never let the Latics go under, that is definately not what I want. But a compromise and a decent Traffic report is needed. If a proper report is done and the number of flats are reduced to roughly 700 I am almost certain the plan would be accepted. This plan WILL go ahead but compromise is the only thing that will make it work"

I know phil very well, and he is most definately a keen Latics follower! you are very much mis-informed! after speaking to Phill last night (and giving him a fair bit of stick) He has informed me and i'll even quote :blush: "I would never let the Latics go under, that is definately not what I want. But a compromise and a decent Traffic report is needed. If a proper report is done and the number of flats are reduced to roughly 700 I am almost certain the plan would be accepted. This plan WILL go ahead but compromise is the only thing that will make it work"

Are you sure it was Phil Harrison you were talking to and not a big white rabbit called Harvey?

If a proper report is done and the number of flats are reduced to roughly 700 I am almost certain the plan would be accepted. This plan WILL go ahead but compromise is the only thing that will make it work"

Errrrrrrrr, 693 is a lower number than 700.

Misquote or just another ridiculous comment from Bash?

These are Phil Harrison's alleged comments I think.

Am I keeping up here?

That was my question - although I wrote Bash instead of Harrison!

Is Mastap misquoting Harrison in an attempt to defend his (Harrison's) position? Or did Harrison say this himself.....errrrr, in a(nother) badly misinformed statement?

Edited by maddog

That was my question - although I wrote Bash instead of Harrison!

Is Mastap misquoting Harrison in an attempt to defend his (Harrison's) position? Or did Harrison say this himself.....errrrr, in a(nother) badly misinformed statement?

I'm taking what Mastap says with a pinch of salt. I find it hard to believe his claim that Corney has threatened a councillor. If that were true, I'm sure he would have been arrested!

I am sorry Mastap nothing personal or anything but one of you is lying. Either you are lying or Phil Harrison has lied to one of us because I have sat there and heard first hand his dislike for football and Oldham Athletic on numerous ocassions. On each occasion there were many other people involved in the conversation and I can't imagine that group of people are the only one's he's ever mentioned it to so I'm sure there are many out there besides me who know his true feelings on the matter.

I don't want to get into a big argument about it but as I said previously it is important that we don't ignore Mr Harrison as an object for our campaign in the mistaken belief that he is on our side.

Could I play devils advocate and suggest Mastap is a mole in the camp? :wink:

Don't believe a word of much of anything that's been said under that username....that Harrison is a Latics fan or that Corney he phoned up and has been aggressive......leads me only to one conclusion about the username Mastap.

Don't believe a word of much of anything that's been said under that username....that Harrison is a Latics fan or that Corney he phoned up and has been aggressive......leads me only to one conclusion about the username Mastap.

Yep. Was thinking that misel'.

I think Mastap is known to a few people and has even travelled on the Beardy Bus in the past. I understand he's a fan who also helps the Club raise revenue.