Next England Boss

philliggi

who will be the next england boss?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. who will be the next england boss?

• Steve Mclaren (he is too good to sack)
    • Harry Rednapp
    • Sam Allardyce
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Gus Hiddink
    • Martin O'neill
    • Alan Shearer
    • Martin Jol
    • Luis Scolari
    • Terry Venables (SACKED!)
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Paul Jewell
    • stuart pierce
    • Arsene Wenger
    • Steve Coppell
    • Steve Bruce
    • Fabio Capello
    • Marcello Lippi
    • John Sheridan
    • Other

O'Neill seemed the obvious choice last time round so maybe we could correct where it went wrong last time.

However people have moved on and it seems Mourinho is now the favourite. I like both these two because they dont strike me as the sort who spend their days drawing 'x's, 'o's and scribbly lines on tactics boards. We've seen too many of these tacticians with the likes of Venables and Hoddle. We need someone who can get inside a player and motivate.

However if it so happens that you HAVE to be English (something I dont necessarily agree with). A team of Coppell and Shearer maybe

The obvious answer is Jose Mourinho. He's by far the ideal candidate for the job. And whilst he's not English, I think he's become an anglophile during his stay here. The only other candidate would be Wenger, as I'd like him to do a full "top to bottom" job on English football and give him license to restructure the entire establishment. However, he wouldn't leave Arsenal. The outside bet would be Mark Hu**es, but I hate him.

Others - O'Neill (never achieved anything in Europe, 2nd in a 2 horse race V McLeish in his last season in Jockland - I'd prefer a good honest professional like McLeish than a media luvvie like O'Neill), Redknap (past his best, never won anything).

Edited by slurms mckenzie

O'Neill (never achieved anything in Europe, 2nd in a 2 horse race V McLeish in his last season in Jockland - I'd prefer a good honest professional like McLeish than a media luvvie like O'Neill

:laught16:

Overturned years of Hun dominance to make Celtic unquestionably the top team in Scotland, got to a UEFA Cup final (overcoming a Blackburn side managed by...erm??? on the way), and he was even able to make Emile Heskey be regularly good for him at Leicester.

Guest sheridans_world

I'd like to see Jol in the position.

I'd also like to see shorter contracts given to international managers so the FA dont have to pay stupid amounts out when they get sacked.

I've gone for other - Benitez for me. He has an outstanding record in one off European games (alright maybe not this season).

The obvious candidate is the Special One but I think he is much more suited to club management. He manages to instill a seige mentality in his players, thus forming a fantastic team spirit. I'm not sure this would be achievable in an international squad due to them spending so little time together.

Wenger would be another superb choice but I just can't see him leaving Arsenal with the crop of kids they have got there. He will believe he can dominate the Premier League for the next few years and he won't want to pass up that chance.

Overturned years of Hun dominance to make Celtic unquestionably the top team in Scotland, got to a UEFA Cup final (overcoming a Blackburn side managed by...erm??? on the way), and he was even able to make Emile Heskey be regularly good for him at Leicester.

If it is not going to be the Special One (Ronnie Moore) then it has to be O'Neil... time and time again he has made a group of players form, and overachieve, and his priority is always about forming team spirit - and picking players who benifit the team etic and not the individual....

How anyone can say he has not achieved anything is beyond me, guiding Leicester to cup finals and the premier league, and guiding Celtic to becoming the dominant force in scotland, and a respected force in europe - he is a total man manager and a master tactician... who will not stand for any ego's.... for me, him and Mourinho are very, very similar in style..... O'Neil just does not believe he is a deity...

Mourinho would be amazing, but O'Neil would do me fine.... lets not look to an italian showpony, or someone who believes in rotation (benitez/Jol), this is not what we need - we need someone who will form a team and tactics and stick to it! (oh... and realise Downing is Pants...)

I suggest there should be a panel of full-time professionals to look after the structure of FA coaching in England. That panel should include, among others, Sir Trevor Brooking, Steve Coppell and Stuart Pearce. To get Coppell into the set up full time, I'd make him England Manager - reporting to Brooking NOT the amateurs at Soho Square.

Edited by garcon

Yes, I forgot that he would be working with the Golden Generation.

lol, Im not signing up to the chain of thought that Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney, Terry, Ferdinand etc arent top class players :wink: They are just playing :censored:....for whatever reason.....

Im not saying O'Neil would be a bad choice just that Errickson had a history of working with these types of players and it was sucessful. Taylor, Hoddle and Mcclearn didnt and part of the reason is a lack of experience of working with big players.

Lets just not talk about Keegan :tongue1:

Edited by oafc0000

lol, Im not signing up to the chain of thought that Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney, Terry, Ferdinand etc arent top class players :wink: They are just playing :censored:....for whatever reason.....

Im not saying O'Neil would be a bad choice just that Errickson had a history of working with these types of players and it was sucessful. Taylor, Hoddle and Mcclearn didnt and part of the reason is a lack of experience of working with big players.

Lets just not talk about Keegan :tongue1:

I can't believe so many people haven't yet realised that most of the England team have the egos of world class footballers without the ability.

Ferdinand (the footballing centre back!?), the guy who repeatedley gives the ball away trying ridiculously difficult long balls that Xabi Alonso would be proud to make, isn't worth a place in the team when you consider we have Carragher, Woodgate and Ledley King waiting for a chance.

Rooney, possibly the most overrated player of all time at the moment imo. He has loads of potential that is obvious from the glimpses of brilliance we see, but these are far from frequent. Even against Russia although scoring a great goal he gave the ball away over and over again and was incredibly frustrating. In a few years when his game matures and he can cut out going for the 'hollywood ball' everytime he gets it, we will start to see a player who can be really effective for England. At the moment he is a luxury that we can't afford to have. Another not worth a place imo, at least at the moment. Crouch and Owen or Heskey and Owen would be a far more productive partnership.

Lampard is another who is constantly giving the ball away. That's fine in the Premiership where the pace is so quick and the opposition will give it you back pretty quickly anyway. In International football it's a completely different story though and we can't afford to carry players who are constantly wanting to play the killer ball when it isn't on. Gerrard could fall into this category as well to an extent but he does make plenty of tackles and makes good driving runs (at time, still not enough) for England. I'd go for Hargreaves and Barry over Gerrard and Lampard anytime. They know how to take care of the ball and not repeatedly give possession away cheaply. Hargreaves is no slouch going forward either and Barry's passing is much better than Gerrard's or Lampard's.

Personally I think we need some major changes, mainly in the midfield but also we need to play to our strengths up front and not just pick the 'best 11' and force them into a system. Eriksson showed that we can have a rock solid defence so not much needs changing back there. Ferdinand can be a very good defender but he needs to cut out thinking he can play passes like Beckham and stick to winning the ball and giving it easy to the midfield. Midfield needs an overhaul to shake things up and have us playing a style of play which will be effective in International football. In Internationals we are playing against sides that play a much slower tempo and keep possession well. We can't approach the games like we are against Premiership sides that will play more direct and give us the ball easily.

Edited by LeylandLatic

I can't believe so many people haven't yet realised that most of the England team have the egos of world class footballers without the ability.

Ferdinand (the footballing centre back!?), the guy who repeatedley gives the ball away trying ridiculously difficult long balls that Xabi Alonso would be proud to make, isn't worth a place in the team when you consider we have Carragher, Woodgate and Ledley King waiting for a chance.

Rooney, possibly the most overrated player of all time at the moment imo. He has loads of potential that is obvious from the glimpses of brilliance we see, but these are far from frequent. Even against Russia although scoring a great goal he gave the ball away over and over again and was incredibly frustrating. In a few years when his game matures and he can cut out going for the 'hollywood ball' everytime he gets it, we will start to see a player who can be really effective for England. At the moment he is a luxury that we can't afford to have. Another not worth a place imo, at least at the moment. Crouch and Owen or Heskey and Owen would be a far more productive partnership.

Lampard is another who is constantly giving the ball away. That's fine in the Premiership where the pace is so quick and the opposition will give it you back pretty quickly anyway. In International football it's a completely different story though and we can't afford to carry players who are constantly wanting to play the killer ball when it isn't on. Gerrard could fall into this category as well to an extent but he does make plenty of tackles and makes good driving runs (at time, still not enough) for England. I'd go for Hargreaves and Barry over Gerrard and Lampard anytime. They know how to take care of the ball and not repeatedly give possession away cheaply. Hargreaves is no slouch going forward either and Barry's passing is much better than Gerrard's or Lampard's.

Personally I think we need some major changes, mainly in the midfield but also we need to play to our strengths up front and not just pick the 'best 11' and force them into a system. Eriksson showed that we can have a rock solid defence so not much needs changing back there. Ferdinand can be a very good defender but he needs to cut out thinking he can play passes like Beckham and stick to winning the ball and giving it easy to the midfield. Midfield needs an overhaul to shake things up and have us playing a style of play which will be effective in International football. In Internationals we are playing against sides that play a much slower tempo and keep possession well. We can't approach the games like we are against Premiership sides that will play more direct and give us the ball easily.

Ferdinand was missed greatly on Saturday, Its often said you dont know how much you miss someone until they arent there. So im not buying your comments on Ferdinand. If him and Terry were in the side on Saturday we wouldnt of seen such bad defending.

Lampard, is a top premeirship player and would get into most club teams around the world, with probably with exception of italy where they play a totaly different type of game and like you said wouldnt live with a player that gives the ball away so much. I agree with your points on the prem and how its not as much of an issue. I do actually question as well if Lampard is suited to the international game.

Gerrard, works hard, does driving runs, good tackles, dosent give the ball away as much as lampard but is still prone to it becuase he is at end of the day an attacking midfielder and that type of player will always be prone to this. Do we have to play Gerrard....no...but then your playing with Barry/Carrick and Hardgreaves in my eyes....which i think england fans will label negative but I think may well be the way forward!

Rooney, :censored: mate, utter :censored:.....Crouch and Owen is a serious paternship....Heskey....never in a million years am i accepting Heskey as a solution.

England problems are the following in my eyes, and i do agree with most your points about making major changes.

• Still no left handed midfielder good enough to play at this level.
  • Dont pick the "best" 11. Pick the players that our in form and suit the way we want to play
  • 4-4-2, stick it to it (see next point)
  • Dont change our formation to compensate other teams. Once we get it right other teams should change to compensate us!!!
Edited by oafc0000

Ferdinand was missed greatly on Saturday, Its often said you dont know how much you miss someone until they arent there. So im not buying your comments on Ferdinand. If him and Terry were in the side on Saturday we wouldnt of seen such bad defending.

Lampard, is a top premeirship player and would get into most club teams around the world, with probably with exception of italy where they play a totaly different type of game and like you said wouldnt live with a player that gives the ball away so much. I agree with your points on the prem and how its not as much of an issue. I do actually question as well if Lampard is suited to the international game.

Gerrard, works hard, does driving runs, good tackles, dosent give the ball away as much as lampard but is still prone to it becuase he is at end of the day an attacking midfielder and that type of player will always be prone to this. Do we have to play Gerrard....no...but then your playing with Barry/Carrick and Hardgreaves in my eyes....which i think england fans will label negative but I think may well be the way forward!

Rooney, :censored: mate, utter :censored:.....Crouch and Owen is a serious paternship....Heskey....never in a million years am i accepting Heskey as a solution.

England problems are the following in my eyes, and i do agree with most your points about making major changes.

• Still no left handed midfielder good enough to play at this level.
  • Dont pick the "best" 11. Pick the players that our in form and suit the way we want to play
  • 4-4-2, stick it to it (see next point)
  • Dont change our formation to compensate other teams. Once we get it right other teams should change to compensate us!!!

If Ferdinand can cut out giving it away by launching it 60-70 yards all the time and start playing simple then he would be the natural choice alongside Terry. But whilst he continues to think he can play the ball like Beckham he is more of a liability in International football as you just can't afford to repeatedly waste possession.

Rooney, sorry just can't agree. He will be a great player when his game matures but currently he just tries to do too much all the time and it results in him being frustratingly wasteful. We shouldn't be trying to force him into the team whilst Owen and Crouch are guarenteed threats and more intelligent with the ball. Rooney has a creativity the others don't but he needs to use it when the chances are there rather than trying to force it. If you watch Kaka you can see the difference between the two. Kaka picks his moments and plays alot of simple passes in between. Rooney isn't worth his place yet on the off chance he may produce something amazing. Remember he hadn't scored a goal in a competitive match for four(?) years before the goal away at Russia.

Gerrard is definitely a player who could be great for us but like Rooney he tries to do too much still for me. I agree attacking midfielders are going to give the ball away more than players like Barry and Hargreaves but he just tries ridiculous passes at times and it is so frustrating when he quite clearly has the ability. Needs to mature, but is definitely one of 3 midfielders I would be considering for the central 2. As I have already said Barry and Hargreaves would be my preferred partnership. You say that people would see this as negative, and they would, but Hargreaves played quite an attacking role for Bayern Munich. I'm not a fan of categorising midfielders as 'attacking' or 'defensive' midfielders as I don't think it's necessary to have one playing attacking and one playing defensive if you have the quality and intelligence in that department to mix it up a bit. I think Barry would take on more defensive duties than Hargreaves in this partnership but let's not forget that Barry has played left wing/midfield for Villa on numerous occasions.

As for Heskey he proved what a quality player he can be if used in the right way in a couple of internationals earlier in the year. He was vastly underrated first time round for England and scapegoated by the vast majority despite always contributing to the team. I would pick Crouch ahead of him because he has a superb first touch and is an intelligent player with his flicks and lay offs. Heskey though is a natural replacement as someone who can hold the ball up and isn't afraid to turn defenders and run at them. Worth another go as he was unlucky to get injured when he did.

I think you are a little harsh re:the left side. Fair enough Joe Cole isn't naturally a left sided midfielder but he has consistently performed there for us and so I wouldn't be looking desperately for a replacement, although it would be nice to have somebody who could come on and make a difference on the left. You're right thatw e don't need to pick the 'best 11' though, we need to pick the team that will fit the tactics best. I'm not as set on the 4-4-2 as you are but I think that it should be our primarily used formation as everybody will be most comfortable with it. We definitely have the scope to go to a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 though to mix it up when needed though imo.

Final point, I agree agianst weaker sides than us. We should be dictating tempo and possession for much of the game and dominating them (when was the last time we did this though!), but first we need to get the basics right with keeping possession and getting the structure of the team right. Against the top sides though it is natural that you are going to have to change your tactics to an extent to counter their superior quality (I,m talking Brazil, Italy, Germany etc.).

Problem with O'Neil is he has no track record of working with really good players, just working with lesser players and making them good. That is a concern for me.

I think O'Neills potential is getting the best out of players. Just hope he can do that with those with inflated egos (and wallets.) If I was the FA now, I'd be cutting all England payments to the players and making them performance based. However, I'd be doing that for all football contracts.....a very small basic with larger performance related bonuses. I think that's the only way to change football unfortunately.....we know it's a business now, not a sport....if the players aren't providing/promoting/helping their product sell, they shouldn't receive any "commission".....basics sales! It'd take a sweeping rule throughout English football to make it happen or else the clubs who did only offer those type of contracts, would possibly get avoided. Until something this radical happens....money that will be received regardless (for coasting games) will always be the cancer in football.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Thats a crock that, he lost 2 to 1 head to head in full seasons V McLeish (2003/04/05), I also wouldn't say winning that wininng the league twice makes the huns "unquestionably the top team in Scotland" over the last 10 years its five wins each. As for this season, Rangers probably just edge it due to better European performances, and still in with a shout of the domestic treble, unlike Celtic. Do a google search on O'Neill, I'm sure you'll find that his results at Villa are equally unimpressive.

From a personal point of view, I would not support England with O'Neill in charge, and would change my allegiance to Northern Ireland, a country with whom I have no link with whatsover, I'm just a glory hunter (with them being the british champions and all).

From a personal point of view, I would not support England with O'Neill in charge, and would change my allegiance to Northern Ireland, a country with whom I have no link with whatsover, I'm just a glory hunter (with them being the british champions and all).

But.....erm.....O'Neill is Northern Irish!!!!!!!!!! :laught16:

(slurms mckenzie @ Nov 24 2007, 12:32 PM)

But.....erm.....O'Neill is Northern Irish!!!!!!!!!! :laught16:

And Northern Ireland isn't Bri..

OK, I'll not go there :wink: