Anyone heard the latest on Hughes?

It's reported he was injured "in the build up" to the Donny game. Did anyone see him out on the pitch at the keepmoat? or does the build up mean during training? It just seems a strange ambiguos terming of it...."in the build up" !!!

In the tunnel after the game, Corney came out and Hughes was on his mobile, Corney just said, i hope your fit for Saturday, and Hughesy just said "YEP"

Guest oa_exile
but he stands a chance of playing on saturday???

so it cant be too serious

It s all about having the back up , IF he gets injured we are in the .................

It s all about having the back up , IF he gets injured we are in the .................

not totally true...he didnt play last night....that said, nither Davies or Wolfy scored....

Hughes is the key to us challenging for promotion this season, unless he gets fit and stays fit there is no chance....i dont think we will be relegated regardless...were not that bad...

Even more Naffed Off with the fact that Phil Jevons has gone to Udders on loan :angry:

Not too fussed myself. It sounds like it is just a niggle (or they'd be saying he was definately out), and it'll give some of the kids a bit more experience hopefully for a game.

As for Jevons, we can't just loan players on the off chance our main strikers are going to get injured.

Personally i wouldnt risk him on Satdturday. Ok we would like a cup run but id prefer a fit Hughes for the rest of the season than a cup run.

If the midfield is firing and we got Davies on the pitch it shouldnt be too much of a problem hopefully.

KTF

Guest oa_exile
not totally true...he didnt play last night....that said, nither Davies or Wolfy scored....

Hughes is the key to us challenging for promotion this season, unless he gets fit and stays fit there is no chance....i dont think we will be relegated regardless...were not that bad...

Think you answered your own response , we need a quality back up striker

Guest oa_exile
Not too fussed myself. It sounds like it is just a niggle (or they'd be saying he was definately out), and it'll give some of the kids a bit more experience hopefully for a game.

As for Jevons, we can't just loan players on the off chance our main strikers are going to get injured.

Ok we would like a cup run but id prefer a fit Hughes for the rest of the season than a cup run.

Firstly kids thrown in AGAIN for a chance to win and get a plum 3rd round draw.

At the beginning of the season Shez signed Ricketts , Davies and Hughes.IMO we need another top notch striker.

Firstly kids thrown in AGAIN for a chance to win and get a plum 3rd round draw.

At the beginning of the season Shez signed Ricketts , Davies and Hughes.IMO we need another top notch striker.

But for how long? Where would the money come from? Wouldn't most top line strikers be cup tied? What happens when the inevitable happens and Ricketts returns (and whatever amount of money we aren't paying gets added onto the wage bill again)?

Sooner or later the kids have to make the step up. Obviously you don't want them playing half a season or anything, but a game here and there I have no problem with whatsoever.

Guest oa_exile
But for how long? Where would the money come from? Wouldn't most top line strikers be cup tied? What happens when the inevitable happens and Ricketts returns (and whatever amount of money we aren't paying gets added onto the wage bill again)?

Sooner or later the kids have to make the step up. Obviously you don't want them playing half a season or anything, but a game here and there I have no problem with whatsoever.

We "Found" the money to sign Hazell even though we have surplus CB's already.

Just think that we are short on Strikers (and have said so for a while)

Kids are Kids they have time , not a time for blooding the youngsters when we are struggling.

Both Taylor and Smalley have taken some stick already this season.

"What happens when the inevitable happens and Ricketts returns"

IMO i dont think he will , unless you know something i dont :unsure: , well if that's the case "Spill the Beans" :)

Kids are Kids they have time , not a time for blooding the youngsters when we are struggling.

IMO i dont think he will , unless you know something i dont :unsure: , well if that's the case "Spill the Beans" :)

We were spoilt "on paper" for strikers at the start of the season. Even now we are a lot better off than we have tended to be in recent years - for example, nobody but Beckett scoring (in the whole team), utterly reliant on Porter both for his goals and for bringing others in, rarely seeing Vernon and soft-arse Killen at the same place and same time, and never both of them fit... John Eyre playing professional football... Remembering that we have the option of Liddell playing up front as well as several kids, I don't think we are so badly off. When have we ever had 3 top strikers on the books?

I can't think we have an incredible surplus of Centrebacks. Remove the current disaster that is Thompson and we had only Gregan, Stam and Trotman (a kid). It needed re-enforcing. All manner of teams were tearing us to bits early on this season.

I can't argue that we are short on top players in some positions: wingers, full backs, goalkeepers and strikers. But, we aren't going to cover them all. Hence we need to bring players through in those positions ourselves if they are going to be covered with any consistancy (rather than loaning in players in those positions each season). We have done this in some positions (Eardley, Taylor, Trotman) and at a certain point it is a sink or swim scenario. They can't all come off, and some will inevitabley fail. However I can think of few better scenarios for it than the mid-table obcurity season that appears to be approaching us*.

I may be a little off, but I just get the feeling Ricketts will end up back here. In reality I know little more than anyone else, so maybe the 'inevitable' was a bit much.

*If we end up at the right/wrong end than the case for loans may be a bit more urgent.